The online racing simulator
Live for speed and windows 7
(139 posts, started )
Gotta say, I installed the beta last night.

The wheel drivers went on very easy (used vista drivers, it is a vista kernel after all) and LFS runs great! I just had to reactivate my game.

In dual screen mode it runs better.

On my 8800GTS and AMD dual core it ran at 17fps over 2 screens, and 180ish on one fully cranked up at 1440X900. It ran at 17fps even when fully overclocked using the profile I use for crysis.

Now, it runs and 110fps over 2 screens, again fully cranked up at 1440X900. No overclocking needed.

I know there isn't a perceivable difference between a FPS at the refresh rate and above, but it's still a huge performance increase!

So just posting for you all; if you want to install the windows 7 beta, go for it!
Quote from PKS Machina :Gotta say, I installed the beta last night.

The wheel drivers went on very easy (used vista drivers, it is a vista kernel after all) and LFS runs great! I just had to reactivate my game.

On my 8800GTS and AMD dual core it ran at 17fps over 2 screens, and 180ish on one fully cranked up at 1440X900. It ran at 17fps even when fully overclocked using the profile I use for crysis.

Now, it runs and 110fps over 2 screens, again fully cranked up at 1440X900. No overclocking needed.

I know there isn't a perceivable difference between a FPS at the refresh rate and above, but it's still a huge performance increase!

So just posting for you all; if you want to install the windows 7 beta, go for it!

Thnx for the info pal!

I was wondering if I would install Windows 7 on a small machine I have here, but I was worried my games wouldn't work anymore
#3 - RiGun
I'm testing Windows 7 beta and the only inconvenience I have found is that LFS needs to be run with administrator privileges to work properly and doing so pop up a warning every time you start LFS, anyone else having this same issue?
I'd install Windows 7 Beta, however when I tried Vista beta, Microsoft said all I had to do was rename .Windows file (which was my XP install) to Windows and do the opposite with the Vista file (rename to .Windows), then reboot and delete the .Windows folder. It wouldn't let me, even on Administrators account. So I had to reformat. Won't be making the same mistake again.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I'd install Windows 7 Beta, however when I tried Vista beta, Microsoft said all I had to do was rename .Windows file (which was my XP install) to Windows and do the opposite with the Vista file (rename to .Windows), then reboot and delete the .Windows folder. It wouldn't let me, even on Administrators account. So I had to reformat. Won't be making the same mistake again.

That wouldn't work due to differing boot loaders. You could theoretically do it between Vista and 7 if you edited the BCD config and did the change in Safe Mode after giving yourself permission to

EDIT: Back on topic - LFS in Windows 7 is rather lovely here - no wheel because of desk not wanting me to fit it, but frame rates are way up
So does 7 bring anything much new to the table or is it just a more XP-like take on Vista? Some of Vista's features I liked the sound of, but I'm so comfortable with XP that I don't want to risk screwing up a perfectly good PC for nothing

I have no need for Dx10/11 drivers and I don't really use C: for storage so a reformat isn't that big a deal. Is it worth the beta risk?
Tbh John, Windows 7 might be the next OS I move onto, so long as it sorts out the "OMG RESOURCES" that Vista didn't. I'd like to upgrade in the future but Vista isn't worth it over XP in its current state, imo.
I wanna know the same, since i've been checking up for some windows 7 features and it seems like a windows xp in weight (very light) with vista features and more...
i might be checking Windows 7 then.

PS: how will we abreviate it? 7? w7?or Win7 maybe...
On WinXP i had 70-80fps
On Win7 i have over 150fps (almost stable)

No lies, its just Win7
I have gotten Windows 7 to work on my mac and its great it has some new fetures but Mac is still better but Windows 7 is way better than Vista and/or XP It still has its problems but remember its the BETA and it will be released anytime from June 1st 2009 - July 30th 2010 So they want to make this perfect.
Quote from swisscosmo :I have gotten Windows 7 to work on my mac and its great it has some new fetures but Mac is still better but Windows 7 is way better than Vista and/or XP It still has its problems but remember its the BETA and it will be released anytime from June 1st 2009 - July 30th 2010 So they want to make this perfect.

Personally I think OS X sucks. It's quite the opposite of intuitive. And yes, Win7 is a lot better than Vista - it actually works.
Quote from hazaky :On WinXP i had 70-80fps
On Win7 i have over 150fps (almost stable)

No lies, its just Win7

nah thats some misconfiguration on either one of the systems
Quote from JohnUK89 :Personally I think OS X sucks. It's quite the opposite of intuitive. And yes, Win7 is a lot better than Vista - it actually works.

Yes, but Mac nerds get laid, therefore it might be worth the switch?
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Yes, but Mac nerds get laid, therefore it might be worth the switch?

where i live all of my friends have mac.... even one of my brothers has a macbook ... and i have to stick with my parents awful pc that allows me to play the best simulator ever......

if u are into the graphics/designing or whatever ... go for mac
gaming ... PC ( xp ! not vista ! )
Quote from PKS Machina :Gotta say, I installed the beta last night.

Were you running vista before Win 7 beta or Vista?

Jay

**Edit - HUH? What am I trying to say. LOL

Were you running XP or Vista before Win 7 beta I meant..

Jay
I have to say that in 7 there's a noticable FPS gain. In XP at South City i had ~100fps and in some places it dipped to 50-60 (no idea why). Now in 7 it never drops below 100fps. No Vsync, no AA (16AF). I'm pretty sure, i'll move onto 7 when it officially comes out. I have a computer upgrade planned anyway, so a new OS should come with it too.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Tbh John, Windows 7 might be the next OS I move onto, so long as it sorts out the "OMG RESOURCES" that Vista didn't. I'd like to upgrade in the future but Vista isn't worth it over XP in its current state, imo.

I agree. I am in the same boat and staying with XP. For a power user XP is still the best at this point.

The only great thing I've noticed with Vista is it keeps less computer savvy folks from jacking their computer up quite as bad. Mainly home users that have yahoo! mail and IE7. For someone that is all their friends computer beeotch this is good for me. Less problems. People really could jack a XP OS with just the wrong decision on the internet. Plus they think the music they are getting is really free.....it wasn't so free after that new Unbrella song ended up rolling their filesystem....

At work we had to stick to XP for a while still. Most of the apps we have to maintain aren't even supported with Vista. This means that if we put them on Vista we loose contracted support through vendors. The software market (especially the ones that make very specific types of software with custom implemented features) loathes Vista and IE 7 for that matter. Took some of these vendors over one year to get their web based active x plugins up to code for IE7. Companys like GE just amazed me with their unwillingness to update. Seems like most of them just gave up when Vista started rolling out.

In short: Vista is good for noobs,nubs and anybody wants to work harder to get more out of their OS..... XP is still for Power Users and IT professionals.

I may end up giving 7 Beta a try... we will see.

Jay
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Tbh John, Windows 7 might be the next OS I move onto, so long as it sorts out the "OMG RESOURCES" that Vista didn't. I'd like to upgrade in the future but Vista isn't worth it over XP in its current state, imo.

It's worth an upgrade definitely, but have it on a separate partition. Then again I'm an engineering kid; I have 6-7 computers with varying flavors of XP, vista, and linux on them.

It has a commit charge of about 700mb at startup with all features enabled. I could prolly get it down more but I'm happy with it.

It starts up faster than my XP partition, and is on par with any one of my linux computers and my linux parition for startup.

It's as fast if not faster poking around the net and the computer than XP, but slower than linux. Windows media player is actually easy to use and works great. Just ditch IE8.

While we are on the subject, I will agree mac is unparalleled in hardware compatibility. But thats what you get when you work with a completely closed hardware platform. Windows is used worldwide and has to deal with compatibility of every possibility.

Vista sucked with that. Until now linux has been the only OS that could be IMO installed on just about any system and run out of the box fine. I haven't tested windows 7 on other boxes; just my main one so I can't comment aside from the fact that 7 installed everything short of my wireless without a hitch and worked out of the box.

Side note: Why do people assume macs are best for design? I have worked with design firms and have yet to see one be mac exclusive. There are very few programs worthwhile that aren't on both mac and windows. Mainly it's just art kids I see running around with macs claiming they are the holy grail of design. They don't run solidworks anyways. Design fail!
Quote from PKS Machina :
Side note: Why do people assume macs are best for design? I have worked with design firms and have yet to see one be mac exclusive. There are very few programs worthwhile that aren't on both mac and windows. Mainly it's just art kids I see running around with macs claiming they are the holy grail of design. They don't run solidworks anyways. Design fail!

In order to understand a Mac User you must first do several things:

1. Buy a MacBook pro. Not a Mac. A MacBookPro. OK? You are a cutting edge mac user now. You live life on the go. Remember that. You are a 'productive computer user'. Also purchase a iphone, ipod and the latest best selling novel. Your choice of book. You non-conformist you.
2. Make sure you get a very Metro sweater and/or Classy button down shirt. Wear the shirt un-tucked to show your casual appeal and nature. Put them together for a perfect look. Also pick up a beany for you head. OH WAIT!!! Go back and get a scarf. I almost forgot the scarf. Wear the scarf regardless of temperature. Got it? Ok.
3. Take your Mac to a classy, yet urban styled Cafe'. Hint: The ones with big green signs are everywhere and very non-conformist. Order a latte' and make the order sound sophisticated and expensive. The idea here is to confuse the Barista. Remember. You are a Mac user and you are better then some Barista that went to Barista school. You are. Yes you are.....
4. Look for the people eye balling you. These people are not Mac Users!! The mac users are posted up at the bar causally checking their email and trying to pick the right track from their itunes collection to fit their casual mood. They also may have just recieved free iTune tracks for the urban coffee purchase they just made. They will not see you. In fact they probably think they are the only Mac users in the cafe' since most the people in the world are not as smart as they are.
5. Next Join the bar and do the same as the other mac users. But, you won't notice who they are either..you must think about yourself now... just sit down... This part will work it's self out for you.
6.Make sure you place you iphone, iPOD (U2 edition, to show you've been in using an iPOD since the b/w days.) ear buds and the latest best selling novel all surrounding your MacBookPro. Make sure the blue apple is illuminated and that you at some point use all the the items you have brought. Do this in a productive looking manner. Unwrap the scarf, but don't take it off. Just let it dangle over your chest.
7. When a PC user walks by glance at their 500 dollar laptop. Then make eye contact as you point you nose into the air and smirk devilishly. Don't worry. PC users are far to stupid to notice your disgust and are generally weak so they won't confront you.

Now isn't this fun!?!?!

8. Continue this until you get bored and you can't find a good documentary to watch on google video. At this point it is time for you to leave.
9. Casually make way to your econnomy type car. Priuses are good, but VWs are better. Jetta or Golf (std) will do just fine.

Welcome to the mind of the Non-Conformist Mac User.

j/k guys. In all honesty though... If I could buy any notebook I want. I would get a MacBookPro.....

Then Load XP on it.

Jay
Quote from el pibe :where i live all of my friends have mac.... even one of my brothers has a macbook ... and i have to stick with my parents awful pc that allows me to play the best simulator ever......

if u are into the graphics/designing or whatever ... go for mac
gaming ... PC ( xp ! not vista ! )

Why? I can play LFS (and do) on a 20" iMac. I play Half-Life 2 (and all assorted Source engined games). Crysis, Far Cry 2, and Richard Burns Rally on a Mac. Who says they can't do games?

Also Jay, I love my Macbook Pro to bits (so much, that currently it is in bits, getting repaired due to a nice 5 foot drop, ****ing displays breaking ). I'm sticking by my theory that the issue with PC nerds, are the fact they don't get laid. Mac nerds however do!
Quote from dawesdust_12 : I'm sticking by my theory that the issue with PC nerds, are the fact they don't get laid. Mac nerds however do!

With Metro Sweaters. Designer button downs. All combined with a Scarf.

I see no reason why you wouldn't.

Jay
-
(xaotik) DELETED by xaotik : Yeah - fuck it.
Quote from jbirdaspec :In order to understand a Mac User you must first do several things:

[funny snip]

Well that made me start my work day with a smile, which is quite uncommon. Thanks!
Quote from RiGun :I'm testing Windows 7 beta and the only inconvenience I have found is that LFS needs to be run with administrator privileges to work properly and doing so pop up a warning every time you start LFS, anyone else having this same issue?

I don't have this issue
I didn't have to set it to run as administrator for playing and I don't have any problem with LFS as it is.
Just tried it and have to say I'm impressed with it so far, much better than Vista
Quote :I know there isn't a perceivable difference between a FPS at the refresh rate and above

maybe i'm misunderstanding your post, but there is quite a big difference between 17 fps ans 110 fps, unless you have bad eyesight

edit: or maybe you mean between your monitor's native refresh (60/75 or 100/120?) and the fps ur getting now..

(139 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG