The online racing simulator
Live For Speed Portable
(62 posts, started )
Live For Speed Portable
"Live For Speed Portable" is a compressed exe version of Live For Speed which extracts from your USB thumb drive (or other portable data devices) onto the temporary folder on the computer you are using and automatically starts up Live For Speed after it is complete.
This results in a much smaller file for you to carry around on your USB thumb drive or other portable data devices, with still being able to play the best racing simulation, "Live For Speed" on the go.

This was a group effort between Jamesisinthehouse12 (Me) and ShUckErU.

I have emailed the developers directly and received permission from them to release this.

LFS Full Patches:
Live For Speed Portable - S2 0.5 Patch Z

LFS Test Patches:
Live For Speed Portable - S2 0.5 Test Patch Z10
Ooh! Good idea! Can't wait - I'll probably use this...

Have you asked permission, btw?
How big is it once extracted? And does it have all the content - also, where is the stuff getting chopped out of?

And there's the permission issue.
Quote from duke_toaster :How big is it once extracted? And does it have all the content

It is as big as a regular Live For Speed fresh install would be, its around 400
MB at the moment but that nay obviously change as LFS increases in Patches.
Yes, it includes all of the content the normal version of LFS contains, it is just compressed.

Quote from duke_toaster :Where is the stuff getting chopped out of?

I'm not quite sure what you mean...

Quote from duke_toaster :And there's the permission issue.

I have emailed the developers directly and received permission from them to release this.

The actual extractor is only about 140MB compared to the normal size of 400MB, you can see it will be alot easier to fit on your data drive because of this.
Make a demo-only-content version too, because not everyone will unlock LFS on any PC they will insert they USB stick into.
Quote from Shadowww :Make a demo-only-content version too, because not everyone will unlock LFS on any PC they will insert they USB stick into.

Everyone, remember this is a regular LFS, its just compressed...
An answer to your question: It will open as a fresh install, so it will be a demo by default... Just like the normal LFS would be.
I meant removing S2 car/track .dds'es, as they takes up a lot of space.
Quote from Shadowww :I meant removing S2 car/track .dds'es, as they takes up a lot of space.

I did that at first, I took out all of the skins, dds's what weren't needed, etc, etc but the exe was 30 MB less and I didn't think it was worth it for what you loose
Most people have 4 GB usb's now anyway, but I have made it... and the rate that lfs updates, I fear I may get quite sick of deleting the extra stuff.
#9 - Jakg
Then you must of done it wrong, frankly - I made an LFS demo thingy and it was 60MB iirc...
#10 - Migz
Isn't this a tad pointless as you said your extractor is about 140mb, and after having a quick look on the lfs site the original extractor is 132.5mb.

So the original one is smaller then your version......?
Quote from Migz :
So the original one is smaller then your version......?

what LFSP is that you do not need to install this version onto a computer. which means that it will not enter the registry. plus it also is faster to load up than installing lfs on that computer.

edit: it is the after install. i hope you know what i mean

Quote from Jakg :Then you must of done it wrong, frankly - I made an LFS demo thingy and it was 60MB iirc...

firstly we used a simple method of compressing it. we did not use a cabinet. so it is just extracting. you can see the files in it if you used the right archiver. and we have also inc the WHOLE LFS. not just the demo content. so restating Jamesisinthehouse's point. it is like normal lfs.

Quote from duke_toaster :also, where is the stuff getting chopped out of?

james what he means is "what is removed". your answer is nothing is removed. it is the full LFS that you would have on your computer. just unmodded
we will be looking at futher compressing the files. where possible. of course we also want you guys to be able to extract it fast.
#13 - Jakg
Quote from ShUckErU :what LFSP is that you do not need to install this version onto a computer. which means that it will not enter the registry. plus it also is faster to load up than installing lfs on that computer.

LFS doesn't use and registry - and how is it faster?

edit: it is the after install. i hope you know what i mean

firstly we used a simple method of compressing it. we did not use a cabinet. so it is just extracting. you can see the files in it if you used the right archiver. and we have also inc the WHOLE LFS. not just the demo content. so restating Jamesisinthehouse's point. it is like normal lfs.

I was stating that you obviously didn't trim LFS down enough - I got an LFS install with ONLY demo cars, tracks and textures down to about 60MB...

So basically you packed it into an installer. hurray.
#15 - Jakg

Haven't messed around with most of the DDS files or any of the skies yet, and it's still 100% functional for a demo user - you can't even tell i've deleted anything...

If you put the LFS "Demo" back in the 7-Zip SFX archive it's distributed in it comes out at 62.3 MB whereas the "full" copy is 132MB compressed.
Lovely idea, but i cant see whats wrong with just copying your Folder on your computer and putting it on MemoryStick and just delete all the downloaded skins to make it smaller.
Quote from Jakg :Then you must of done it wrong, frankly - I made an LFS demo thingy and it was 60MB iirc...

yours was in mind of making the demo supported... mine was made in thought of s2 still being unlocked, which was a bit silly I guess since we only have a new unlock every friday...
This would only be useful if you could take your unlocked S2 with you and play it wherever imo...
Quote from TiJay :This would only be useful if you could take your unlocked S2 with you and play it wherever imo...

yes, it would be... but I'm not going to be releasing an unlocked version of lfs, for obvious reasons

I am also currently making LFSP a demo only game, your not going to be unlocking it anyway, considering how many unlock amounts we are allowed.
#21 - J.B.
Don't want to sound too negative, but how exactly is it more portable than it was before? LFS doesn't use the registry anyway and all files and settings are in one folder.
It will be alot smaller than before after I get rid of all of the extras that you don't need and I have found an archiver which will compress lfs even more than the dev's managed to.

Just wait and see
Quote from Shadowww :Ya rly? 6 of my classmates have got 8g, 3 have got 16g, and only one has a 4gb.

added/edited a few words for you

That was kind of my point...
Khem, mine english socks.

You compress it with UHARC, right?
I don't understand the point of this. As jakg has already said your extractor is even bigger than the standard LFS installer. Am I missing something here?

Live For Speed Portable
(62 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG