The online racing simulator
Live For Speed Portable
(62 posts, started )
Quote from amp88 :I don't understand the point of this. As jakg has already said your extractor is even bigger than the standard LFS installer. Am I missing something here?

Quote from Jamesisinthehouse12 :It will be alot smaller than before after I get rid of all of the extras that you don't need and I have found an archiver which will compress lfs even more than the dev's managed to.

Just wait and see

If you saw jakg's message, why didn't you see mine... ugh
-
(Jamesisinthehouse12) DELETED by Jamesisinthehouse12
Quote from SpikeyMarcoD :So basically you packed it into an installer. hurray.

technically, it isnt an installer. it does everything automatic for you. there is no option for you to select where it goes. we did that for you. thats the reason why it is portable. and basically we made this because we do know that there are alot of schooling students like us. and want to play games at school.(uni, tafe, high, even prim if u may.)(for us australians) so this version of lfs will be much easier to bring around. rather than the actual installer. i believe schools in general do not allow games being brought. so this is our way of bypassing that rule. use at your own risk? anyway it is good advertising for LFS where you friends see you play it in a public place.

Quote from Jakg :
If you put the LFS "Demo" back in the 7-Zip SFX archive it's distributed in it comes out at 62.3 MB whereas the "full" copy is 132MB compressed.

so our is still smaller than your demo version. we have not deleted anything. and still is able to unlock S2, if you want.

Quote from Logicalx :Lovely idea, but i cant see whats wrong with just copying your Folder on your computer and putting it on MemoryStick and just delete all the downloaded skins to make it smaller.

it will still be bigger than LFSP. we tried that.

Quote from Shadowww :Khem, mine english socks.

You compress it with UHARC, right?

no we didnt. we used another compressor. where we are able to have a logo, and credit. uharc uses the ms-dos environment and i have not touched that for compressing. and on another note even though it is a good compressor, its raelly slow. this 1 we used is fast.less than a min, on my computer scored under 30seccs, also faster than the official install.

Quote from amp88 :I don't understand the point of this. As jakg has already said your extractor is even bigger than the standard LFS installer. Am I missing something here?

you are looking it at the wrong POV. we have done everything to make it portable. which the official didnt do. but our only problem now is making it smaller. which we will. as soon as we find another "complex" method to improve it.

i hope this helps guys
Quote from J.B. :Don't want to sound too negative, but how exactly is it more portable than it was before? LFS doesn't use the registry anyway and all files and settings are in one folder.

it is an easier version to use. you dont have to specify the folder and this will work on any computer which does meet the min requirements of course.

and saying this 1ce again, we are working towards bringing the file size smaller.
#29 - J.B.
Quote from ShUckErU :it is an easier version to use. you dont have to specify the folder

But is that really an advantage? I think it probably makes it more difficult to carry personal settings along with you, which is the whole point of a portable app.
#30 - Jakg
Quote from ShUckErU :technically, it isnt an installer. it does everything automatic for you. there is no option for you to select where it goes. we did that for you. thats the reason why it is portable. and basically we made this because we do know that there are alot of schooling students like us. and want to play games at school.(uni, tafe, high, even prim if u may.)(for us australians) so this version of lfs will be much easier to bring around. rather than the actual installer. i believe schools in general do not allow games being brought. so this is our way of bypassing that rule. use at your own risk? anyway it is good advertising for LFS where you friends see you play it in a public place.

so our is still smaller than your demo version. we have not deleted anything. and still is able to unlock S2, if you want.

it will still be bigger than LFSP. we tried that.

no we didnt. we used another compressor. where we are able to have a logo, and credit. uharc uses the ms-dos environment and i have not touched that for compressing. and on another note even though it is a good compressor, its raelly slow. this 1 we used is fast.less than a min, on my computer scored under 30seccs, also faster than the official install.

But that was a folder vs. it being compressed - like I said i got a compressed "LFS Demo" to 62MB.

I don't see how having an extra app to run makes LFS any more portable than just copying the folder (which i used to do on the School computers for years...)

I really can't see the point in this at all
Same here as Jakg.

Your cfg.txt and another will be lost when you use uber-l33t-h4xx0r3d portable LFS, but won't if you simply copy LFS on your hard drive.

2Jakg: Can you upload that LFS Demo, please?
Quote from Jakg :But that was a folder vs. it being compressed - like I said i got a compressed "LFS Demo" to 62MB.

I don't see how having an extra app to run makes LFS any more portable than just copying the folder (which i used to do on the School computers for years...)

I really can't see the point in this at all

if you really cant see the point then u can offer us suggestions and help make it so that there would be a point in having portable lfs.

technically, we came up with this idea way b4 4gb's were common, then again, ppl like us had more than just 1 game and had OTHER stuff on our thumbdrives
and your lfs demo thingymajig, i can make our LFSP as small as 1 mb if i wanted to and had the resources too. but i'll put it this way to you: the smaller the compressed file is, the longer it takes to both compress and decompress it. so yea if i uploaded a 1mb ver of LFSP, people will start complaining that it takes DAYS to extract. so im glad u can make a 62mb version, but theres always other factors to consider when releasing something into public.

Quote from J.B. :But is that really an advantage? I think it probably makes it more difficult to carry personal settings along with you, which is the whole point of a portable app.

Quote from Shadowww :
Your cfg.txt and another will be lost when you use uber-l33t-h4xx0r3d portable LFS, but won't if you simply copy LFS on your hard drive.

to both of you...
if you were smart enough you will be able to embed those settings into LFSP not that im saying you're dumb or anything but yea...
Quote from ShUckErU :to both of you...
if you were smart enough you will be able to embed those settings into LFSP not that im saying you're dumb or anything but yea...

Have you ever heard about "User-friendly"?

And i not smart enough to embed mine file into archive of unknown compressor (noone named it, right)?
#34 - Jakg
I don't think you've read what I'm saying - you've made a gui which extracts LFS with no registry keys. LFS already HAD a gui (7-Zip one) which extracts it with no reg keys - so how is yours any better?

@Shadoww - I will once i've got Z10 in it, but it is by no means "perfect".
:|
Quote from Jakg :I don't think you've read what I'm saying - you've made a gui which extracts LFS with no registry keys. LFS already HAD a gui (7-Zip one) which extracts it with no reg keys - so how is yours any better?

@Shadoww - I will once i've got Z10 in it, but it is by no means "perfect".

1. You don't have to direct it to the temporary folder on your computer to extract it.
2. It automatically opens.
3. It extracts quite alot faster.
4. We originally made this for ourselves, and decided to bother and take the time to make it for the public aswell. :|
Quote from Shadowww :Have you ever heard about "User-friendly"?

And i not smart enough to embed mine file into archive of unknown compressor (noone named it, right)?

since you seem to really want to know, we used winrar. and it is not possible at this time to make it as "user-friendly" as you want it. we did our best in the time that we had. which was about 1 day. and because of my limited knowledge, i dont have a very good idea how i would make this version dynamic to the specific thumbdrive.

Quote from Jakg :I don't think you've read what I'm saying - you've made a gui which extracts LFS with no registry keys. LFS already HAD a gui (7-Zip one) which extracts it with no reg keys - so how is yours any better?

7zip does not have an as advanced gui as winrar. we used winrar because:
1. it had a customizable gui
2. it extracts really fast
3. takes less time to compile than that of others
4. easy enough to customise to the level it is now.

7zip might be able to do better than winrar at point 4, but to read up on all the switches and stuff is just tedious and slightly hard to comprehend because it doesnt give me exactly what i want. not that i havent tried, i have but im still new to it.

summarising off, when we upload our LFSP, and you guys test it out, and if u can help us in making lfsp even better, (like telling me what switches and commands to use if we used 7zip to achieve the same functionality that our current version has would be nice ) we will appreciate your help and will credit you if we used you suggestions. untill then i cant say much more than i already have.

now you know more than you shld about the porrtable version of LFS
#37 - Jakg
Quote from ShUckErU :7zip does not have an as advanced gui as winrar. we used winrar because:
1. it had a customizable gui

So? All you need is an extract and a location...

2. it extracts really fast

So does 7-Zip, but with using less space...

3. takes less time to compile than that of others

So? Takes 2 minutes to compress LFS on my laptop with a Core 2 and a shitty 5,400 RPM drive - methinks 2 minutes per every few months ain't that bad for Scawen

4. easy enough to customise to the level it is now.

So?

alright jakg i've had just about enuf of your complaining. now ill repeat this:
if u can help us in making lfsp even better,we will appreciate your help and will credit you if we used you suggestions. other than that i dont want any nonconstructive posts about lfsp. u dont like it, dont use it. but if u want to help us, we welcome you.

and for the record, 7zip is slower than winrar. and i like to use winrar because I like it better and further more I know how to use it properly.

Quote from Jakg :So? All you need is an extract and a location...

i made it this way (extracting to temp automatically) because in my situation, this is more time saving. my thumbdrive somehow always manages to roam around the classroom and i dont want to have to yell out what to do to extract it to those nooobs who want to play anyway in front of the teacher and getting caught. it is originally to suit my purpose.

if u got a better idea on how it should perform then tell me instead of just arguing how the official is better.
my opinion is that LFSP is better. you can have your opinion, nothing against that. but anymore than that i consider it noncontructive post and i really cannot stand that.
#39 - Jakg
Quote from ShUckErU :alright jakg i've had just about enuf of your complaining. now ill repeat this:
if u can help us in making lfsp even better,we will appreciate your help and will credit you if we used you suggestions. other than that i dont want any nonconstructive posts about lfsp. u dont like it, dont use it. but if u want to help us, we welcome you.

and for the record, 7zip is slower than winrar. and i like to use winrar because I like it better and further more I know how to use it properly.

But your not using WinRAR or 7-Zip - your using a program that gives you an option to pick a folder, and an extract button - wtf is the difference?

I haven't made a "constructive suggestion" because in all honesty it's a useless application - it replicates exactly what the LFS one does, but with a shiny picture - that's the exact opposite of what LFS is going for...

Quote from Jakg :But your not using WinRAR or 7-Zip - your using a program that gives you an option to pick a folder, and an extract button - wtf is the difference?

I haven't made a "constructive suggestion" because in all honesty it's a useless application - it replicates exactly what the LFS one does, but with a shiny picture - that's the exact opposite of what LFS is going for...

for the record, i am using winrar. im able to make it look like that because i know how and because i can.

Quote :wtf is the difference?

i dont understand wat that has to do with winrar or 7zip.

and ill say this to you, and with all respect to your opinion, this is the first attempt we have made to making LFSP. so no matter how bad it might be now, we WANT to improve it in the near future, and i can safely say that we just might be able to do something that will make it literally portable. with no scripting knowledge whatsoever i will say that having read compression utilities' comparisons and how-to-use guides for the utilities, it is tedious job and what i need is time to be able to digest all these information. you try going read the 7zip guide http://7zsfx.solta.ru/en/. just look at the sheer amount of information there is. and thats just 1 compressor. for me right now i am very familiar with winrar. not so with 7zip. if u can do the same thing we have done, but smaller sized, and smaller than official (this means FULL LFS compressed), because what you have said so far has not helped 1 bit to advance this release i want your help and you're welcome to make your nxt post, otherwise, please just lay off the thread
#41 - STF
Why do i have the impression that you`re only complicating things? I mean, what`s the purpose?
Tell me where is this "portability". I could as well have the 7z exe from official website stored on my thumb drive. 30mb bigger? ok. 15 seconds slower? WHO CARES. I mean... I could spend that time scratchin` ma ballz instead of doing half a lap.. but wouldn`t be a problem you kno` (random numbers BTW, but you get the point).
And we`re talking here about "stock" lfs.
On the other hand, if you would include all teaminferno, and/or setupgrid hotlap setups.. And all the WR replays from lfsworld.net.. that would be something special/worth downloading.
Skins can be downloaded automaticly, but setups and replays.. not.. but..
Quote from STF :Why do i have the impression that you`re only complicating things? I mean, what`s the purpose?
Tell me where is this "portability". I could as well have the 7z exe from official website stored on my thumb drive. 30mb bigger? ok. 15 seconds slower? WHO CARES. I mean... I could spend that time scratchin` ma ballz instead of doing half a lap.. but wouldn`t be a problem you kno` (random numbers BTW, but you get the point).
And we`re talking here about "stock" lfs.
On the other hand, if you would include all teaminferno, and/or setupgrid hotlap setups.. And all the WR replays from lfsworld.net.. that would be something special/worth downloading.
Skins can be downloaded automaticly, but setups and replays.. not.. but..

like i said b4 if u didnt read my post, we are working towards making this LFSP better. 1stly we want to decrease the file size, then we may work to include those suggestions u gave (pretty good 1's IMO). file size is the most biggest thing for us now.

p.s. if any1 noes how to use 7zip PROPERLY and is able to do switches and all that gear or you know a better compressor, could you please post them? or send me a PM
Yeah, i agree with STF.
FYI ppl links are now active
Oh god. 170mb.
Official installer is 140.
Why? Because 7zip > WINrar.

And, you said you included only demo files in it... But i see a lot of S2 files.
Quote from Shadowww :
And, you said you included only demo files in it... But i see a lot of S2 files.

no we didnt. we never said that we would do a demo version. that was jakg. and jamesisinthehouse12 said that hes working on it, not that hes done it. i guess he's tight on time, might be busy with other stuff. we said we would include the S2 content in this release. ill sum up what we did in this release so far.

1.quicker extraction
2.put a gui in there
3.make it bigger (i really dont like this part)
4.enable automatic directory.

right now im working on point 3. even i dont like the fact that it is bigger. and besides, 7zip is much harder to use. from what ive read of 7zip, putting options at max doesnt give you the maximum that 7zip can compress. you have to use the right switches with the max options to get the best 7zip can do. which atm i dont know which switches and etc they are. so right now im in trial and error testing.
Quote from ShUckErU :1.quicker extraction
On mine PC it was 4 sec. quicker. Big deal for +30MB?

2.put a gui in there
Z0mG SFX NEeDs sEXy viSTa Liek GUI LOLZ0R!!1111
And sure you NEED to see names of all extractable files.

3.make it bigger (i really dont like this part)
That's only thing you didn't failed at.

4.enable automatic directory.
AFAIK it is even possible in PKZIP which was released in... uhm... 1992?

I first thought that LFS went PSP when I saw the title.
#49 - Jakg
Thanks, Jakg!

btw. Forum is bugged up or you are God of spammers. I just saw your post count...

Edit:
Jan 21 15:52:31 LFS : 0.5Z10
Jan 21 15:52:31 timer resolution 1 ms
Jan 21 15:52:31 read config
Jan 21 15:52:31 get command line
Jan 21 15:52:31 Could not open file : data\skins\XRT_DEFAULT.jpg
-
(felplacerad) DELETED by felplacerad

Live For Speed Portable
(62 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG