The online racing simulator
windows 7
(30 posts, started )
windows 7
would lfs work with windows 7 beta? was wondering cause i wanted to try windows 7
You never know until you try. I'm gonna try it too, probably by tomorrow we'll know.
I just tested it and it seemed to work fine.

Im running Windows 7 dual boot with XP on seperate hard drives. I just copied my LFS directory (didnt want to accidently lock the XP version back) and it ran fine. I didn't unlock it or really test it thoroughly, but it loaded the Formula BMW on Blackwood fine and ran at ~85 fps. I drove with my mouse and keyboard so Im not sure if my DFP or any other wheel would work either.
#4 - DeKo
windows 7 is basically vista with a skin and a few optomisations, should run fine and run a bit better.
Quote from kamilek12 :would lfs work with windows 7 beta? was wondering cause i wanted to try windows 7

I wouldn't see why not. But don't blame me if it doesn't.

LongJohn, I'm assuming that Vista drivers will work with Windows 7? :o
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I wouldn't see why not. But don't blame me if it doesn't.

LongJohn, I'm assuming that Vista drivers will work with Windows 7? :o

Probably. Like I said before, Im still running XP. Never upgraded to Vista.

However, I have heard that 7 has some new built in driver libraries that makes more stuff plug'n'play. Windows update will also download drivers for some devices too. For instance, my linksys wireless pci card installed automatically. Not sure if this stuff happens on Vista already though.

-edit
Im using the 64 bit version BTW
ok thanks for the help guys
Update

I installed Windows 7 just now and LFS runs the same as in XP, no problems yet. I unlocked normally and connected to a server normally without any problems. This is good considering the extremely limited driver support right now, the ATI drivers are still in the eaarly stages but I did not get any crashes or slowdowns. So this is good news for anyone who wants to use Windows 7.
How do they expect you to use the "Touch" option if you dont have a touch screen?
They dont. They are just designing with touch in mind. Previous versions of Windows were designed with touch as an aftertought. Basically it just emulated a mouse. Now it will feature multitouch support allowing for the operating system to sense two inputs at once. Think iPhone.
Quote from LongJohnSilver :They dont. They are just designing with touch in mind. Previous versions of Windows were designed with touch as an aftertought. Basically it just emulated a mouse. Now it will feature multitouch support allowing for the operating system to sense two inputs at once. Think iPhone.

And they should have kept it that way. Whoever uses a touchscreen for everyday use is retarded.
Hey i just got Windows 7 on my mac and it works but i'm just wondering when i copy my skins folder from my XP PC to my Windows 7 do i have to copy the skins_dds folder to? Since my LFS folder is 3GB and my jump drive is only 2GB i just want to copy my skins and setups and layouts, as i'll download the install for LFS
Quote from MijnWraak :And they should have kept it that way. Whoever uses a touchscreen for everyday use is retarded.

same with webcams. same with mics. same with computers in general.
are you starting to see how "special" your post really was?
Touchscreens and their derivatives (e.g. In-the-air-commands, a la Minority Report type of thing) are the future as we interface with computers almost (completely?) without knowing it. It's only right to implement the technology as it grows rather than tack it on badly afterwards, especially as they are becoming more widespread.
#15 - Jakg
Quote from MijnWraak :And they should have kept it that way. Whoever uses a touchscreen for everyday use is retarded.

Have you ever used a touchscreen for a long period of time? I'm sorely tempted to get a touchscreen for my eee - for a desktop they don't really work but for laptops they would ROCK.
I just installed LFS and i wne to run it and an error came up saying "Could not detect and suitable screen modes" and then below it it says "Probable error in graphics driver" I am currently downloading a driver update for my vid card but i was just wondering if it was osmething to do with windows blocking it or something. So if downloading the driver will fix it great but if not what would/will fix it?
Quote from Jakg :Have you ever used a touchscreen for a long period of time? I'm sorely tempted to get a touchscreen for my eee - for a desktop they don't really work but for laptops they would ROCK.

why oh why did asus have to shoot themselfs and the buyers in the foot by using a glossy display for the touchscreen eees?
id love to have one of them and play crayon physics all day long
#18 - Jakg
Aren't the touchscreen ones dodgy desktops though?

You can buy an overlay (for the 701 at least) which hooks in via USB (although you solder it onto the header obviously)....
#19 - need
For myself, I see touchscreens becoming popular amongst graphics artists, once they get the resolutions up to decent levels without the price being outstanding.
Imaging being able to do your artwork directly onto the screen exactly as you would with paper, etc...

Just downloading the beta myself, although not decided which machine to install it onto yet.
nvm my posts above as i updated my driver and it works only thing is know i have no sound but i know how to fi it as its a prolem every mac user has when ootcamping windows. Its really nice with 60-100FPS
I tried using it but I couldn't:
DirectX error: file d3d9_23.dll not found (something like that)
Then I tried it again a few hours later, and it worked
And is still working, it's working perfectly and very smooth... In Windows XP the fps limiter quite didn't limit the fps correctly (I put to limit the fps to 90fps and it limits on 84 or something, always below the fps I set it to and so on).
In Windows 7 when I limit it to 90fps it gets a INCREDIBLY STABLE 90.9fps! after driving 4 full laps the fps didn't change anything at all, just like it was stuck at this number ...
Game runs smoother too, more fps overall (without limiters), and more fps when using ENBSeries in LFS too. Everything is soooo much better now

And by the way, for the first time since I bought it, my LFS locked to demo again. Never happened before, but it looks like this was supposed to happen so no problem at all here
Quote from dadge :same with webcams. same with mics. same with computers in general.
are you starting to see how "special" your post really was?

Well I just figured since MS seems to want to release a new O/S with a new payment plan every other year, that the NEXT o/s after 7 will be a better time to get touch support, since by then most touchscreens will be cheaper and better. A lot of touchscreens now don't even have multiple touch support. I guess better earlier than getting beaten by other companies. Didn't mean to sound so ignorant as I did

Anywho, downloading the beta now. Had to buy a new HDD to install and dual boot it since my current one refuses to partition. Eh I needed to buy a new one anyway, this one is bound to fail soon.
#24 - Jakg
Quote from Shotglass :huh?

The standard touchscreen eee's made by Asus are desktops (or at least an "all-in-one PC"), whereas you can get a touch screen overlay for the 701/901/1000H (i think) which is from a 3rd party...

windows 7
(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG