The online racing simulator
Water cooling
(70 posts, started )
Water cooling
hi! I was just wondering, Is it easy and possible to water-cool my current rig? And does it matter on temperature? And is it pricey? Thanks in advance
If you overclocking its pricey and it brings you (so at me: 2-4°C cooler Tempearature).

But dno if its possible at your computer

PS: In the "water" its better to do Anti-Frozen erm water. because then you can let the tower stand outside and its much cooler

with outside i mean outside of the house
By does it matter on temperature I assume you mean does the temperature differ from air to water cooling, which would be a big yes for me.
Normal temperature before water cooling at idle was 40-50 celcius, after water cooling it's down to 20 idling, no more than 40 whilst under 100% load using Prime95 to stress the CPU..
Quote from Yoda098 :By does it matter on temperature I assume you mean does the temperature differ from air to water cooling, which would be a big yes for me.
Normal temperature before water cooling at idle was 40-50 celcius, after water cooling it's down to 20 idling, no more than 40 whilst under 100% load using Prime95 to stress the CPU..

That sounds good. Is it hard to do? and how about maintain ace? And do you need special mobo etc?
It depends I guess, I opted to have the whole system inside my case, but that's only because my case is large enough (Coolermaster HAF 932), otherwise most people have the radiator/fan assembly on the outside rear of the case. You can get adapters for your type of motherboard to mount the heat sink correctly, I can't remember if I got mine with the motherboard, processor, or water cooling itself, but I definitely got the adapter with one of those, so there's no need for a special mobo. Maintenance isn't really an issue, if you have to regularly top up the water/anti-freeze mixture then there's probably a problem somewhere..
Okay, and what parts have to be cooled? mobo and CPU orso?
-
(speedway) DELETED by speedway
#7 - Jakg
Quote from Heiko1 :If you overclocking its pricey and it brings you (so at me: 2-4°C cooler Tempearature).

But dno if its possible at your computer

PS: In the "water" its better to do Anti-Frozen erm water. because then you can let the tower stand outside and its much cooler

with outside i mean outside of the house

Oh dear god i hate to think of the advice you used to offer in your sig if you think water cooling drops your temps 4°...

Watercooling can keep your PC going from about 55° under load to 25-30° if you buy an expensive kit.

You can watercool as much or as little as you'd like - usually people just go for the CPU and then maybe the GFX card - you can watercool your mobo, RAM, HDD's etc but to be honest they make very little heat and your spending about £30 for the waterblock, and at the same time making more resistance reducing your overall flow so it's not really worth it.
Watercooling, been a while since these topics showed up. Time and time again, 95% of the watercooling kits:
- perform worse than good aircooling counterparts
- even though they make more noise and have fast running fans
- and cost a lot more.

Watercooling is still aircooling, but the water is used to transport the heat to a radiator. Since in 95% of the cases, these radiators aren't any larger than a good ''air cooler'', there is still limited cooling surface area, just as you have with cheap and small air coolers.

While there ARE watercooling sets that outperform aircooling in performance and equal it on noise, they typically cost as much as a simple new PC, whereas the aircooling sollutions that work really well only cost ~30 euro.

Watercooling is useless.
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld :Watercooling, been a while since these topics showed up. Time and time again, 95% of the watercooling kits:
- perform worse than good aircooling counterparts
- even though they make more noise and have fast running fans
- and cost a lot more.

Watercooling is still aircooling, but the water is used to transport the heat to a radiator. Since in 95% of the cases, these radiators aren't any larger than a good ''air cooler'', there is still limited cooling surface area, just as you have with cheap and small air coolers.

While there ARE watercooling sets that outperform aircooling in performance and equal it on noise, they typically cost as much as a simple new PC, whereas the aircooling sollutions that work really well only cost ~30 euro.

Watercooling is useless.

Watercoolling isnt useless. Who ever gave you that idea ?. I have used several WC setups and they were all way better then air colling. Sure the radiator is been air cooled but thats it. The noise when using a WC setup is way better then aircooling. The vents on the radiator are turnig very low and there for silent. Even when system under full load then ven did start reving up. The differenc between Idle and load was a max of 8-10 GR. Surely there is a need for WC, you just dont like it.
-
(speedway) DELETED by speedway
Hmm... So i understand it's easy, expensive and little maintainace. About WC GFX card. Since i have two, can i cool them both? I don't my mobo needs cooled. Only my CPU and perhaps RAM. And GFX would be cool. But how expensive is something that cools good?
Steer clear of the Thermaltake 'all-in-one' Bigwater kits as they're not very good.

The XSPC kits are good - they're basically the same as getting a pick-and-choose loop, but everything's chosen for you. XSPC make great parts.

http://www.watercoolinguk.co.u ... th=40&products_id=266 <-- everything you need for a basic CPU loop.
#12 - Jakg
Quote from Bose321 :Hmm... So i understand it's easy, expensive and little maintainace. About WC GFX card. Since i have two, can i cool them both? I don't my mobo needs cooled. Only my CPU and perhaps RAM. And GFX would be cool. But how expensive is something that cools good?

No point cooling your RAM, you could cool your CPU and GFX cards but for a kit i'd actually recommend your looking at about €220+
I had several watercooling systems before. First I started with a home made stuff, back then it was quite good, could handle those power hungry 1.4 athlons, and AXP over 2.7-9ghz.
Then I switched to branded one. Had dangerden blocks, pump, radiator and stuff. Dont know the current prices, but if you want a quality system, that does work well, it can easily cost you around 150-200$ at least.
About the noise. Pumps can make noise, especially if they vibrate in the case. The fan can make noise on the radiator. Although my system only had a 12cm fan at 800rpm.

BUT, and theres the but. If you arent doing extreme overclocks, its just unnecessary. Expensive, and its usually a pain to maintain (rearranging pc, cutting tubes, cleaning the block,s tubes and all that stuff). I had them for over 4-5 years, never had any problems with it. No leaking or anything. So I can call myself a WC fan. Still, Id recommend good air cooling.

I have this one:http://www.thermalright.de/Kue ... nk+++IFX-10+-+Bundle.html

And keeps a C2D @4.0 at 1.35 around 50 at load. So WC is just not neccessary, unless you do some hard oc, or just want it to look cool.
Let me put it differently.. A Scythe Ninja 'air' cooler beats nearly all the water cooling kits up to at least 5x the price. Less noise, less heat. Plus, this air cooler cools just about any processor you throw at it too.

If the radiator is about equal in size to a 120mm fan, you don't have to be an expert to conclude that any normal air cooler which has cooling fins of about the same dimensions is going to perform somewhat similarly.

When you have a radiator the size of say 360x120mm, then things can get going. The problem with most water cooling kits is they cramp a pump, fan, and radiator in little space..

Anyway, it is most likely still pointless to go watercooling. I have a Scythe Ninja with the original fan at just 5 volts!! running a E8400 (3ghz) overclocked to 4ghz. Only with a water cooling kit that costs more than the mobo + cpu + ram might you get the extra cooling to reach perhaps 4.4ghz.
Pointless or not, the main reason I'm currently sorting out a watercooling setup is because 'it's hella awesome'. Then followed by 'it's quieter' and 'it'll let me clock things a bit faster'.

I'm on my 4th aircooled build and just want to do something a bit different.
Yeah, I currently don't want to OC alot, but if I buy WC, I could do it. But the main reason is the temperature and noise. Currently my CPU is idle @42-44 degrees Celsius (OC'd from 2,5 to 3,0), but i just booted. so when it's on for a while it's about 50 idle and 60+ on load. And i'd like to WC my gfx cards so I can OC them a bit more without worrieng about the temperature. 60 and 50 degrees celsius on 660/1060 both. 2nd one 45% fan and 1st one auto.
To do an OC'd CPU and two graphics cards, you're looking at at least a 120.3 radiator, maybe two 120.2s. If you've got the room and the money maybe even have the CPU on a seperate loop.

Two 120.2s could be a good route if space is an issue, as it's a fairly simple process to mount a 120.2 radiator on the back of your case like this:
Hi, sounds good. Will that fit on my case? my case looks like this at the backside.
Yeah, if that fan-hole on the back is 120mm (it looks like it is) it should work beautifully.

However, you'll need to do some cutting to get the hoses out through the back of the case. Also, if you want a second radiator, the only place it looks like one will fit is in the top, towards the front of the case, (and would mean you lose your top 5.25" bay) which will also need cutting.

Cutting however, done right, isn't that hard and you'll have the satisfaction of a truly customised case

OcUK have a huge case gallery thread on their forums which is a brilliant source of inspiration if you're unsure of the possible ways of placing everything: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17305236 Some are complicated (a lot of the older ones, before dedicated PC cooling parts were widely available), some are beautifully simple.
And what if i have 2DVD's and 2HDD's in the top bay?
If you take out that bottom HD cradle and put some feet on the case, you could put a res in the bottom, again cutting holes for the air.
Allright, I'll discuss with my brother. And look if i can move some stuff.
I reckon, you're best starting with a single 120.1 radiator and just the CPU in the loop. You may even find that the radiator will fit over the front or rear fan holes internally, meaning you don't need to cut anything at all. You can always add to the loop later.
Quote from Crashgate3 :I reckon, you're best starting with a single 120.1 radiator and just the CPU in the loop. You may even find that the radiator will fit over the front or rear fan holes internally, meaning you don't need to cut anything at all. You can always add to the loop later.

Allright, sounds cool. What packets do you advice?
As I said above, the XSPC kit includes everything you need for a simple CPU-only loop, and the single radiator *should* fit internally in the back of your case, in front of that rear fan-hole. It just needs the fluid.

http://www.xs-pc.co.uk/x2odeltav3.php

You have a choice with the liquid. The most basic you can use is distilled water with an additive to stop algae growing. This can have things like dyes and UV reactive additives put in. You can also get premixed UV reactive fluids like Feser and PrimoChill. These look pretty but have been known to gunk things up after a year or so of use, though this can be stopped by just cleaning the system out once a year.

A forum I've found really helpful is at http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk

Water cooling
(70 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG