The online racing simulator
This or That? (GRID vs. Gran Turismo 5)
(54 posts, started )

Poll : GRID or GT5 ?

Closed since :
Gran Turismo 5
GRID
I found Grid pushed HDR even farther than I've seen before, the contrast is so cliped at the ends of the spectrum its crazy.

None but the 20k priced monitors can display True HDR yet. It takes 48bit color to display true HDR, otherwhise you might as well just turn up the contrast, because thats what HDR does right now anyway. It clips the hell out of the contrast range.

All the other effects like better transparancy and shadows are grouped with HDR for some reason, but they arn't even linked.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP1Q6sxNJoY&fmt=22
I love this video

By the way, voted for GRID. Of course, not because of the video.
I know GT5 tries to be realistic, but when I see the videos with the in-car camera, and I see that steering wheel turning 1° and the car making a 90° turn, I change my mind completely. I hate games with that kind of "low steering" (if this makes any sense). And I've already found some bugs on what comes to graphics shadows and HDR. (such as shadows not appearing/overlapping). Also that formula 1 car flying and landing on the track was incredibly unrealistic.

I think Gran Turismo will never be as realistic on physics as LFS is. This is just my 2 cents

GRID was never supposed to be realistic, it was supposed to be a fun game with good graphics and detail to the damage, playable for everyone, and using improved DiRT's engine. And I think it surpasses the standards on what it tries to be.

*/me gets ready for possible heavy flaming*
AHAHA that vdo was awesome, although they compared the two games with cars of a different class XD

Everytime I watch a GT5 vdo, I feel like I'm watching the Singapore GP in daytime :S (compare the car reflections in GT5 with the ones in the actual Sg GP)
<2p>

Most of you on this forum prefer lfs over nfs and because of this I would expect most of you to think GT5 even as a prologue is better than GRID, because it feels much more realistic to drive even if GRID's special effects are more dramatic. GT has never been about amazing crashes and damage, it has tried to simulate how a car handles when driving. That video is clearly done by someone who prefers arcade racing games to simulation racing games. He says that racing games should have racing cars blah blah. GT5 has racing cars and it will have loads more at full release, i have heard over 1000 different cars, all different in their own right. They are not all racing cars because you don't need to have a car set up for racing to have a race. You can race everything on wheels. I also cannot understand how some people can think GRID looks nicer than GT5 in the gfx department. GT5 blows all other racing games out of the water in terms of gfx to be honest. They look far more real without having to have the extremely unnatural bloom that GRID has. GT5 prologue is not the greatest sim on Earth at the moment I admit, but I truly believe it does do it's job better than any other attempt for a console, and it is going to be far better for the full release.

</2p>

<flamesuit>
Haven't played GT5 Prologue because I don't own PS3, but I've played all the early games and each of them provides much more fun than GRID. Driving feel on GRID doesn't exist and navigating cars through courses is very unpleasant for experienced simracer because you can throw all you know about handling and laws of physics to the trash and must force your head to accept it's nonsense.

GT series while it's not a hardcore sim, it does it's job well enough where driving feel is there to actually make car behavior predictable. Sure you can mess around and make weird setups to push physics engine to the limit and produce weird bugs, but at least there is some sort of physics being calculated.
Quote from Gills4life :<2p>
[...]
</2p>

<flamesuit>

I just put that video here because I think it is funny, that's why "I love this video"

Yes, I think GT5 has way better graphics than GRID and many other games (at least it looks realistic), but I think it has to get really better on physics to be called "a real/true simulator" IMO. Yes, indeed, It's good, but I don't think it's good enough for its developers and some people to keep calling it such a incredible, amazing, realistic simulator 'best simulation evah' etc if you know what I mean. I have a friend that keeps saying and thinking "this game is real, just like real life. Hey, Gran Turismo physics may sometimes be even more realistic than real life"
I didn't see anyone here on the forum saying that nor did I mean to mention anyone here, ok? *puts flamesuit on*

GT developers have serious problems with car collisions, even if they don't want to make damage models for the vehicles they should at least make it crash realistically, how would a car fly that ridiculously like on the video (I lol'ed so hard when I saw that) even using the default setups? It's their fault for making a game that doesn't have good enough collision and this prejudices the racing/simulation experience IMO. If for example one is racing side-to-side with a AI and one touches the AI car, it'll be repositioned on the track so it doesn't collide with one's car anymore... I really hope they fix it, because it's annoying.

And the steering wheel shouldn't steer just 1° lock-to-lock like it's noticeable on some videos it should turn/steer correctly, just like LFS steering wheels.

:twocents:

Not that I don't like Gran Turismo, far from it, and not that I love GRID too, thing is, I have both, I play both, I don't mind much about it and I just want to have some fun
Quote :how would a car fly that ridiculously like on the video (I lol'ed so hard when I saw that) even using the default setups?

This isn't a dig, it's a genuine question -> In real life, how would an F1 car react to driving over a jump at 130mph? Would it stay suckered to the road etc?
I'm a noob in these things myself but I don't think it would stay perfectly stable in the air, land and just carry on as if nothing has happened.
I don't think an F1's suspension can even withstand that jump. First of all, driving a modern open-wheeler in a mountain course is plain ridiculous.

By the way, I think the GT series provide players with a huge handicap (even on simulation mode)... Ever noticed that the cars can't flip?
theres no comparison with these two games, if you want a quite boring enviroment the buy GT5 prologue, if you want fun and exciting stuff, buy grid.

both gets my vote.
Quote from jamesc :I think that I hear a cat?

I don't hear a cat. Maybe its the car?
Quote from Velociround :And the steering wheel shouldn't steer just 1° lock-to-lock like it's noticeable on some videos it should turn/steer correctly, just like LFS steering wheels.

You do realize that a virtual driver's steering movement is just an animation, right?

GT5p supports 900 degree wheels just like LFS
I don't even drive with the steering wheel visible in racing games, that's why I drive with the bonnet view in games where I cannot turn the steering wheel animation off. It's not realistic driving a sim with a wheel in your own hands and then seeing another one on the screen infront of you.
Quote from Gills4life :I don't even drive with the steering wheel visible in racing games, that's why I drive with the bonnet view in games where I cannot turn the steering wheel animation off. It's not realistic driving a sim with a wheel in your own hands and then seeing another one on the screen infront of you.

If you're going to be like that, it's not realistic to see a screen infront of you and then another one in game.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :If you're going to be like that, it's not realistic to see a screen infront of you and then another one in game.

What? I don't see how that makes sense. I don't see another tv screen within the tv screen. If you are talking about the windscreen, it most games I have the view right on the dashboard so the computer screen/tv screen is like the windscreen.
Quote from Velociround :GT developers have serious problems with car collisions, even if they don't want to make damage models for the vehicles they should at least make it crash realistically, how would a car fly that ridiculously like on the video (I lol'ed so hard when I saw that) even using the default setups? It's their fault for making a game that doesn't have good enough collision and this prejudices the racing/simulation experience IMO.

You mean, like this? :hide:
Quote from Tezuka :You do realize that a virtual driver's steering movement is just an animation, right?

GT5p supports 900 degree wheels just like LFS

Of course I do, but it's still NOT real, it's not real at all. I'm talking about the virtual driver's steering, not the real one. It pisses me off when the virtual steering wheel doesn't turn enough, even when it's just in a video and I'm not playing.
I only played GT5 with pad.

I THINK Gr!d can be some kinda pick-up-5-minute-race-not-sim-game, but nothing simulatable.

GT5 is very nice, still gotta test it with my g25, so this one goes for gt5.
Quote from Riders Motion :You mean, like this? :hide:

lol!
No, Gran Turismo is worse, because you can't collide laterally for example with another car without it being dragged back/forth, the game just realocate the car positions to avoid colliding, and that's even in single player! In LFS online, if there's no lag the cars react perfectly well with each other, and you'll only find bugs like that if you go outside the track/hit one of the bugged barriers or if the car gets through something. Everything else is fine, and you'll never find a car collision bug (car - car) unless you go on the wrong way anyway

Also, in LFS, one is 'allowed' to go outside the track (which is "realistic" IMO), but in Gran Turismo the cars are just... "glued" to the track, and can't ever go outside it, if you know what I mean. The track is just a small space, everything else is just scenery. If the cars weren't glued to the track and we could travel wherever we want (including flying), we would probably collide with a invisible wall everywhere around the corners, making it impossible to go outside the small space the track really is.

Imagine a small cube with the player inside.. then put it on a really big city/canyon/whatever.. This is what gran turismo does.. you can see everything else, but you will NEVER get there, only where the developers want you to go (inside the track). Did that make sense? This reminds me of very old games where even the grass wasn't part of the track, and it wasn't possible for the player to get out of the asphalt I have a 1996 rally game which does that... and it's so clear that becomes annoying lol. Except that in GT they use barriers and other objects to keep the player on the track instead (but depending on the objects it becomes ridiculous...).

I know we are not supposed to get out of the track anyway but my point is that the GT world is not real.. the track is so small that if the cars weren't glued to the track it would be much more common to hit the invisible walls... And for me the fact that they are basically 'glued' to the track removes the realism on "wheels pushing the car forward" and puts something like "cube block being pushed by a key" instead.

Wow look at what I've written! It was supposed to be a 1-paragraph simple post! And I've already removed 2 paragraphs of text

Cheers
you just compared GT5 to LFS.... but grid looks better but is not as realistic althought it crashes more realisticly..
Quote from chavm481 :you just compared GT5 to LFS.... but grid looks better but is not as realistic althought it crashes more realisticly..

GRID looks better ???

You must be a huge fan of bloom.
#48 - JJ72
and people who say GT5 looks better must be a huge fan of HDR

actually grid without the bloom and yellowish tone is a beautiful game.
GT5 does look better though. 1080p res on a nice big TV looks better than anything else I have seen from a game.
Quote from Gills4life : It's not realistic driving a sim with a wheel in your own hands and then seeing another one on the screen infront of you.

+1
I do the same.There's no point seeing another wheel on the screen while you can see the real one in your hands.
Plus ,there's no point seeing the kokpit of the car which nearly uses half of your screen and blocking your road view.Useless. I never use kokpit view. Only tyre view.

And, grid is no match for gt5p.(well if you'r not 9)

This or That? (GRID vs. Gran Turismo 5)
(54 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG