The online racing simulator
Spinoff : ABS in reverse
(196 posts, started )
Quote from shurcooL :I can imagine the headlines:

"Some kid crashes his moms car going in reverse at 30 mph to test ABS for a video game. Video games are bad."

That is most likely to happen in the USA
ABS won't help you in a spin, and it wouldent be usefull going backwards anyway. ABS isn't designed to stop your car, its designed to help you steer it away from a collision. If you try to steer going backwards you will just cause another spin. I ususaly use this to my advantage and do a J-turn.

The most common misconception about ABS is that it is there to help stop your car, this is why people still hit stuff even when ABS kicks in. ABS won't magicaly stop your car, it will allow most drivers to steer around a collision with the brake pedal to the floor. Its idiot proofing that doesn't quite idiot proof. This is because most people just put the brake pedal to the floor and brace for impact, even though they could very easily, thanks to ABS, steer around.

I've asked alot of people and they all say "ABS helps you stop your car" That is NOT what it was designed for.
Quote from DragonCommando :ABS won't help you in a spin, and it wouldent be usefull going backwards anyway. ABS isn't designed to stop your car, its designed to help you steer it away from a collision. If you try to steer going backwards you will just cause another spin. I ususaly use this to my advantage and do a J-turn.

The most common misconception about ABS is that it is there to help stop your car, this is why people still hit stuff even when ABS kicks in. ABS won't magicaly stop your car, it will allow most drivers to steer around a collision with the brake pedal to the floor. Its idiot proofing that doesn't quite idiot proof. This is because most people just put the brake pedal to the floor and brace for impact, even though they could very easily, thanks to ABS, steer around.

I've asked alot of people and they all say "ABS helps you stop your car" That is NOT what it was designed for.

I will agree with that. Idiot proofing underestimates the idiots.
Quote from DragonCommando :ABS won't help you in a spin, and it wouldent be usefull going backwards anyway. ABS isn't designed to stop your car, its designed to help you steer it away from a collision.

It is what it was designed for. You couldn't avoid the collision at a higher speed, it's designed to reduce speed as fast as possible. Therefore, designed to stop the car.
Quote from BlueFlame :It is what it was designed for. You couldn't avoid the collision at a higher speed, it's designed to reduce speed as fast as possible. Therefore, designed to stop the car.

DragonCommando is right here, really!
An experienced racing driver will be able to stop a car without abs faster than a normal human with abs! That's a known fact. ABS is simply a driving aid... it helps you, the driver, still control the car under extremely heavy braking allowing you, if you're smart enough, to steer away from the danger. That's what abs is designed to do.
#56 - J.B.
Quote from Chris P :
An experienced racing driver will be able to stop a car without abs faster than a normal human with abs!

Wrong, in both series I know of where ABS was used (DTM and F1), the laptimes came down thanks to ABS allowing deeper, harder braking. Your statement may be true for slower Roadcar ABS but I can't say for sure what the current state of development is for typical roadcar ABS.
Quote from J.B. :Wrong, in both series I know of where ABS was used (DTM and F1), the laptimes came down thanks to ABS allowing deeper, harder braking. Your statement may be true for slower Roadcar ABS but I can't say for sure what the current state of development is for typical roadcar ABS.

An experienced driver can stop a car faster in a straight line than an older ABS-systems can.

Can we agree on this rule?
#58 - J.B.
Yep, sounds ok to me. [etals:]
Quote from BlueFlame :It is what it was designed for. You couldn't avoid the collision at a higher speed, it's designed to reduce speed as fast as possible. Therefore, designed to stop the car.

This is exactly what I am talking about, ABS is designed to alow the average person to push the brakes to the floor and steer around the hazard, but most people think exactly like you do. And most people smash into the car infront of them and come away going "But the ABS kicked in, why coulden't I stop?"

I have practiced high speed steering, and belive me, If I needed to steer around something braking from 100km/h, I could do it. And if I can, anybody can learn how to control thier car properly. The problem with drivers today is that they don't take the time to learn thier car.

Edit: I also forgot to mention a trick I learned for avoiding collisions in a medium-low speed situation. I call it the "Lock and Pop" And it only works on cars without ABS.

What you do is lock the wheels and turn the steering wheel, this causes the car to continue to slide straight even though the wheels are turned, then you pop your foot off the brake and apply proper pressure so you don't relock them. This will cause the cars front end to shoot out in one direction allowing you to steer around a hazard very quickly. The maneuver should only take a split second to do, but you have to watch where your car goes afterward and steer to avoid hitting something else.

They used to teach you that when you take your drivers test, but now they don't teach you any of the important maneuvers anymore.
Quote from DragonCommando :This is exactly what I am talking about, ABS is designed to alow the average person to push the brakes to the floor and steer around the hazard, but most people think exactly like you do. And most people smash into the car infront of them and come away going "But the ABS kicked in, why coulden't I stop?"

I'm not going to hit the middle pedal and wonder why I didn't stop in time, of course I'd attempt to avoid collision but I imagine turning whilst ABS is engaged is extremely weird and unnatural to the car, given body roll etc too..
Just try doing it without ABS, thats imposibble to do with the wheels locked, hence why Lock and Pop is a good thing to know.

There's a reason ABS doesn't kick in below certain speeds, thats because it's not designed to stop your car, its designed to allow you to brake hard and steer at the same time, something you don't need to do at low speeds.
Quote from DragonCommando :Just try doing it without ABS, thats imposibble to do with the wheels locked, hence why Lock and Pop is a good thing to know.

There's a reason ABS doesn't kick in below certain speeds, thats because it's not designed to stop your car, its designed to allow you to brake hard and steer at the same time, something you don't need to do at low speeds.

ABS = Anti-lock Braking System, so therefore with it's use it helps you to stop more quickly than without ABS. If your car stops faster than anothers car the chances of your car being stopped before the collision are way higher than the others car. Of course you cannot steer when your wheels are locked and yes, people who have passed their test don't realise this either. At a low speed it's impossible to lock your brakes unless the surface is slippery or unless you pull the handbrake in which all of the braking is put to the rear wheels, if you halfed that force and put it on the front aswell as the back you wouldn't lock up in the same way. What you are saying isn't correct, ABS is to get you to stop BEFORE you have to divert your course, any idiot would divert whilst braking, it's just common sense but ABS is there so you are able to slow down before you even need to avoid but truthfully steering a car under ABS than locked wheels is obviously going to be safer and easier.
ABS works in revese on 2002 Honda Accord. my dad was driving (backwards down an icy hill).
/2cents
Quote from BlueFlame :ABS = Anti-lock Braking System, so therefore with it's use it helps you to stop more quickly than without ABS. If your car stops faster than anothers car the chances of your car being stopped before the collision are way higher than the others car. Of course you cannot steer when your wheels are locked and yes, people who have passed their test don't realise this either. At a low speed it's impossible to lock your brakes unless the surface is slippery or unless you pull the handbrake in which all of the braking is put to the rear wheels, if you halfed that force and put it on the front aswell as the back you wouldn't lock up in the same way. What you are saying isn't correct, ABS is to get you to stop BEFORE you have to divert your course, any idiot would divert whilst braking, it's just common sense but ABS is there so you are able to slow down before you even need to avoid but truthfully steering a car under ABS than locked wheels is obviously going to be safer and easier.

Rubbish, I suggest informing yourself before you (once again) make a fool of yourself... ABS NEVER was intended to provide better braking, it had and still has only one purpose: to give you the ability to steer while fully on the brakes... Modern ABS-systems are very sophisticated and may provide a lesser braking distance to the average driver's braking skill, but they still don't deviate from their original purpose...
Quote from bbman :Rubbish, I suggest informing yourself before you (once again) make a fool of yourself... ABS NEVER was intended to provide better braking, it had and still has only one purpose: to give you the ability to steer while fully on the brakes... Modern ABS-systems are very sophisticated and may provide a lesser braking distance to the average driver's braking skill, but they still don't deviate from their original purpose...

It's purpose is to prevent your wheels from locking. You said that ABS isn't intended to help you slow down more quickly than without? How does ABS not spell that out?
People can interpret the sub-purpose how ever they want but the name is what it is, you don't call a banana, a banana when it's a carrot do you?
A quick tidbit: 2005 Subaru Forester 2.5XS (AT) doesn't have ABS when going in reverse.

I had the opportunity to test it out on the ice-covered driveway, by going around -5 km/hr I slammed on the brakes and the wheels got locked without the ABS kicking in (the car back slid to the side too).

Of course, it kicked in right away when I tried going +5km/hr forward on the same driveway.

Just wanted to throw that out there, since it seemed here most cars do have ABS in both directions. I was actually surprised.
Quote from BlueFlame :It's purpose is to prevent your wheels from locking. You said that ABS isn't intended to help you slow down more quickly than without? How does ABS not spell that out?
People can interpret the sub-purpose how ever they want but the name is what it is, you don't call a banana, a banana when it's a carrot do you?

I realy hope you wake up and actualy do some research.

I am an AUTOMOTIVE TECHNICIAN, that means that I know alot about the braking systems on a car and how/what they are designed to do.

I had to study this stuff for two years, I know what ABS is designed for, and I don't know how you get "STOP YOUR CAR FASTER" out of "ANTI-LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM"

The whole point to preventing the wheels from locking is to allow an inexperianced driver to steer thier car when they panic and smash the pedal to the floor. It was never intended to allow you to stop your car in a straight line, that is what your foot is supposed to do.

IF YOU NEED ABS TO STOP QUICKLY YOU ARE NOT AN EXPERIANCED DRIVER
Quote from DragonCommando :I realy hope you wake up and actualy do some research.

I am an AUTOMOTIVE TECHNICIAN, that means that I know alot about the braking systems on a car and how/what they are designed to do.

I had to study this stuff for two years, I know what ABS is designed for, and I don't know how you get "STOP YOUR CAR FASTER" out of "ANTI-LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM"

The whole point to preventing the wheels from locking is to allow an inexperianced driver to steer thier car when they panic and smash the pedal to the floor. It was never intended to allow you to stop your car in a straight line, that is what your foot is supposed to do.

IF YOU NEED ABS TO STOP QUICKLY YOU ARE NOT AN EXPERIANCED DRIVER

If you need to make an emergency stop most people will slow down faster with ABS. Because in the moment you floor the brakepedal. That also counts for "experienced" drivers that don't expect that they have to make an emergency stop (because they are shaving/making phonecalls/looking on a roadmap). In normal circumstances you don't need ABS, not experienced and not unexperienced drivers.
If you know how to properly brake (not that difficult to do), then you can probably stop faster without ABS. The thing is, tires and suspension technology was alot less advanced when there was no ABS. But ever since ABS started being used, tires have become safer, etc.

BTW, on my car, ABS doesn't even engage on dry pavement.
Lets say you're doing 60mph (100kmh) and you come across a hazard blocking the road that you really don't want to hit. The thing is, it's only ~40m in front of you, so you won't stop in time, regardless of what magic abilities you or your car possess.

The average driver, who almost certainly lacks sufficient training to control 1 tonne of vehicle in anything but perfect non-critical conditions, will probably panic and lock up. They will crash.

The ABS equipped car will probably slow down a bit quicker than if the wheels had locked, but the main advantage is that the average driver can allow his built-in sense of self preservation to going around the obstacle. Hurrah.

Of course, with proper training and practice the average driver would have been able to cadence brake (or even "Lock and Pop") around the obstacle, and still maintain enough presence of mind to stop the car safely, hop out and use as many imaginative swear words at the driver/owner of the obstacle as he can possibly manage. Without proper training (but with ABS) he'd be so scared that the only thing on his mind would be filling up his pants.

ABS in a nutshell - great when you've not been taught enough to be allowed to drive.
I'm not going to get into the e-penis competition that's going on here; you guys have fun with that...

Just wanted to chime in and say that my Mum's VW New Beetle has ABS in reverse.
I'm not going to listen to people who are just arrogant in thinking they can still avoid a crash without ABS or don't even need it. Most cases an experienced driver is already taking action because they have forseen the crash before anyone 'average' has anyway. ABS makes the car slow down more quickly than without ABS, nobody can argue this because it's true, there no way in HELL you can modulate all 4braking wheels with 1pedal manually.
Quote from BlueFlame :I'm not going to listen to people who are just arrogant in thinking they can still avoid a crash without ABS or don't even need it.

I have the feeling you aren't going to listen to anyone, no matter how right they are. Anyways, I've managed to avoid many crashes without ABS driving on snow and ice.

Quote from BlueFlame :nobody can argue this because it's true

Have you ever even driven a car? Or just seen your uncle driving one? Would explain a lot.
It's obvious that BlueFlame doesn't have alot of experiance behind the wheel of a real car.

I've driven all sorts of vehicles over the past years, not all of them have had ABS (bikes don't). You know what saved me from a crash more than once, actualy realizing that you CAN'T STOP, you need to go around regardless of ABS or not. Trying to stop a car within 100m at 100km/h isn't possible, even with ABS. I've seen people try to, and it wasn't a pretty scene.

If people can't comprehend that ABS isn't designed to stop your car faster, thats not my problem as long as I'm not the one they hit. But if someone rear ended me because they didn't have the common sence to either steer or lock and pop, then I'll be damned if I don't give them my two cents.

Nobody said modern ABS doesn't stop your car faster, all we are saying is that it's not designed to stop your car faster, it's designed to allow you to steer with the pedal to the floor. I don't know how many times I have to repeat this.

IT WAS EVEN IN A SERVICE TECH TRAINING BOOK.

"ABS or Anti-Lock Brake System is a system encorporated into the computer system of most modern cars, when active it allows a driver to steer thier car in a panic situation where they would normaly lock the brakes and slide."

I wish I still had the damn book, because then I could scan the whole page, instead of taking it from notes.

Maybe when I actualy have my Service tech license people will actualy listen to me
Quote from marzman :If you need to make an emergency stop most people will slow down faster with ABS. Because in the moment you floor the brakepedal. That also counts for "experienced" drivers that don't expect that they have to make an emergency stop (because they are shaving/making phonecalls/looking on a roadmap). In normal circumstances you don't need ABS, not experienced and not unexperienced drivers.

I just HAD to make another post just for this, experianced driver shaving behind the wheel? Thats not an experianced driver, thats an idiot who wants to die.

I never do any of that while driving, its just plain ignorance to do so.

Spinoff : ABS in reverse
(196 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG