The online racing simulator
Ping Cap (Implemented by some insims already, but meh)
Everybody knows what a ping cap is, right? If your average ping goes above the cap, you can't get into the server.

I know that some insims have already implemented this, but in a way that you're already in the server and would only kick you when you lag too much.
I personaly hate ping kickers, they piss me off so much.

I have a fast internet connection, If the server can't keep up why should I get kicked? Most of the time its just a fue seconds of high ping and it kicks you. If the ping is high, just leave, its common sence. If people don't leave when they have a high ping, they only stand a chance of loosing anyway.
I like high ping kickers, because it means that they're not warping all over the track and crashing into you, dissappearing completly for like 15 seconds only to reappear in the middle of your car.
When they are lagging that bad, it should just time them out, but if they have a "high ping" they shouldent just get kicked for that.

The problem with LFS is how it seems to handel the location data, it apears that if you are lagging it makes alot of prediction errors.
Lag is generally associated with high ping.

Say it takes 30ms for me to send and then recieve a packet, while you have a ping of say, 500ms. You're lagging and darting about the track. The 'prediction errors' are simply Interpolation (I think), which is on pretty much all online games, most notably on CSS. It predicts where you are based upon the last packet of infomation set, say you're going 100mph, it'll guess that in the next ##ms you'll be another 8 meters down the road. If when you actually send the packet (because you're laggy), and it turns out you're actually 25 meters down the road, then you'll lag and dash forward.
#6 - Woz
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Lag is generally associated with high ping.

Say it takes 30ms for me to send and then recieve a packet, while you have a ping of say, 500ms. You're lagging and darting about the track. The 'prediction errors' are simply Interpolation (I think), which is on pretty much all online games, most notably on CSS. It predicts where you are based upon the last packet of infomation set, say you're going 100mph, it'll guess that in the next ##ms you'll be another 8 meters down the road. If when you actually send the packet (because you're laggy), and it turns out you're actually 25 meters down the road, then you'll lag and dash forward.

Lag has nothing to do with ping, the two are on the whole unrelated. You can have a low ping connection that suffers massive lag and a high pig connection that is 100% stable. Lag is caused by instability in your connection.
As a general rule*.

I find if I'm playing CSS with someone who has a ping of say, 250, and someone who has one of 25, I can't play with the 250 ping player 'cause they're warping around everwhere!
As Woz said lag has very little to do with ping and much to do with stability of the network infrastrucure. I was in a team that had teammates from all over the world (France, England, USA, Argentina, Australia) we had very little dramas with lag even when I was on dial up and yet it's common to see others on high speed connections that lag terriably. Lag is not such a simple open and shut case
I've played a against people in source games where they have a ping of 300, and we still get perfectly stable play. They ususaly have a slight advantage because of lag compensation, but other than that it's perfectly fine.
Anyone remember the guy from Australia, BO300, or BBO300, I can't remember his name anymore. Anyways, I use to race him all the time. I was on 56k dialup in the US and he was on 28k dialup in Australia while we raced on 75% full servers in the UK and Europe. We never had problems.

I raced LFS for 2 years on 56k. I never lagged and no one on the servers ever had a problem with my connection. I raced on 250-400 ms ping servers every night for 2 years. I was concerned with lag because I was 56k and asked often on the servers if my connection was alright for everyone else. If I lagged, I would not stay and ruin it for everyone else. I would choose to leave which is why I asked often. No one ever said I was lagging and I never had a problem on that 56k.

Ping has nothing to do with lag.
#11 - Woz
Quote from mrodgers :Anyone remember the guy from Australia, BO300, or BBO300, I can't remember his name anymore. Anyways, I use to race him all the time. I was on 56k dialup in the US and he was on 28k dialup in Australia while we raced on 75% full servers in the UK and Europe. We never had problems.

I raced LFS for 2 years on 56k. I never lagged and no one on the servers ever had a problem with my connection. I raced on 250-400 ms ping servers every night for 2 years. I was concerned with lag because I was 56k and asked often on the servers if my connection was alright for everyone else. If I lagged, I would not stay and ruin it for everyone else. I would choose to leave which is why I asked often. No one ever said I was lagging and I never had a problem on that 56k.

Ping has nothing to do with lag.

Yep, I had ISDN for years as it was the best I could get (Out in the wilds of Scotland at the time) and in many ways it was more stable than my current ADSL link as most ISPs in NZ run interleaving on DSL.
#12 - Gunn
Quote from Woz :Lag has nothing to do with ping, the two are on the whole unrelated.

Be that as it may, latency certainly does effect multiplayer gaming, especially games where the action is fast and positional updates are coming in at very different speeds. LFS suffers from this of course. Some people do call it lag, which is probably not the correct term, but on screen they see another car jumping about and it does cause collisions sometimes.

Ping times do effect online racing regardless of the connection quality.
#13 - Woz
Quote from Gunn :Be that as it may, latency certainly does effect multiplayer gaming, especially games where the action is fast and positional updates are coming in at very different speeds. LFS suffers from this of course. Some people do call it lag, which is probably not the correct term, but on screen they see another car jumping about and it does cause collisions sometimes.

Ping times do effect online racing regardless of the connection quality.

Latency can cause issues but most games have good enough compensation systems nowdays. Most FPS games for example now compensate for sub 300-350 pings so when you aim at a player that has 300ms delay you hit them based on where they were reported 300ms ago, not where they are now. Their on screen image flows smooth also, just time delayed by Xms.

The issue is normally when the ping bounces about. A stable 300 ping should give a mostly stable representation of a car in LFS. A connection that bounces between 80-200 will give a jumpy as the changes in latency confuse the prediction list it does in FPS games.

Yes a low latency stable connection is best but I would prefer a higher latency stable connection over a low latency unstable connection EVERY time

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG