The online racing simulator
New Girl Signing In!
(128 posts, started )
Quote from Blackout :edit. Well, Kev was on it earlier and more detail.

It's been a while since I beat you at anything. It feels good.
Thanks for both the replies guys.

@ Kev, i was under the impression that any screeching of tyres due to braking was bad news due to grip etc, so i try to brake slowly and smoothly to prevent screeching/locking up.

However, ill try to give it a go breaking as late as possible and much harder (altho i tend to find that just means i slide off the track facing forwards cos i've missed the apex due to the screeching/locking of tyres)

Would it be possible to see one of your XRG blackwood laps? just a run of the mill 3/3 not your fastest attempt or anything! I can't seem to find any replays that work with this patch!
Quote from Blackout :I think you need to brake harder, and either be on the brake or the throttle. You seem to be coasting before the corners and that is just waste of time, and that also means that you braked too early or slowed too much, in this case not enough sometimes.

I guess the old slow in - fast out is a good advise. Try to figure out how fast you can accelerate from the corners and hit the apex and then find out how late can you brake down to that speed maintaining a good line.

Now to test drive your set and see how is it.

edit. Well, Kev was on it earlier and more detail.

speaking of my "set" its just "hard track" or maybe the default race.. :O
Quote from Blakey. :@ Kev, i was under the impression that any screeching of tyres due to braking was bad news due to grip etc, so i try to brake slowly and smoothly to prevent screeching/locking up.

Well... Locking up too often in Live for Speed will lead to your tyres over-heating, which can cause major handling problems and slow you down, but in terms of braking force locking the wheels up isn't as bad as in real life - you'll still probably make the corner at least. Just try not to let the tyre screech for too long. Finding and using the very limit on the brakes will gain you tonnes of time.

Quote from Blakey. :However, ill try to give it a go breaking as late as possible and much harder (altho i tend to find that just means i slide off the track facing forwards cos i've missed the apex due to the screeching/locking of tyres)

You're already missing the corners due to not braking enough, so you might as well do it Hollywood-style!

Quote from Blakey. :Would it be possible to see one of your XRG blackwood laps? just a run of the mill 3/3 not your fastest attempt or anything! I can't seem to find any replays that work with this patch!

My wheels are tucked away in my loft at the moment so I can't record a replay. No doubt someone faster than me will do one for you - I suck around Blackwood anyway (my best laps in the XRG I think are around 1:35, I haven't driven Blackwood much since changes were made to it this year).
can do you a 3 lap race, will be on a ps2 pad though, but the technique is still the same.
Quote from robt :can do you a 3 lap race, will be on a ps2 pad though, but the technique is still the same.

ill accept all
Quote from thisnameistaken :It's been a while since I beat you at anything. It feels good.

Enjoy while it lasts.

Anyway, did 3 laps on your set (esc -> test drive btw) and fastest was 1:37.17. After that I did 3 laps on default race_s as control and the fastest lap was 1:35.70. Major problem with the set you were using is the very hard brakes, personally I prefer less braking force so you can use the full travel of the brake pedal to control any possible locking. So, I'd advise you to change to the race_s, especially if you are using the default hard track setup which is, well, crap.
Theres the lap and the setup to go with it. (though id suggest you change the max steering lock back up to 30 degrees or whatever it is, as i have to lower the lock for the pad )
Attached files
Rob UK_BL1_XRG_FINISHED.spr - 138 KB - 184 views
XRG_blgpnew.set - 132 B - 943 views
Quote from Blakey. :ill accept all

If you wanna see how other people drive the best place to visit is LFSWorld... Since you´re starting with LFS, I don´t know if you´re already familiar with all of his features, but if not, then you should, because, for me is one of the best things LFS has to offer, and that, in my opinion, no other sim as even came close in terms of information and statistics you can find there. That a look at the hotlap charts, where you can download the replay of the laps posted, and study about the lines and driving, some of the fastest guys in LFS use. Besides that, there´s also the Replay Analyser that you can use to compare hotlaps, and where you can compare any lap that you upload with other drivers, which will provide you a lot of information.
Thanks for all the detailed information guys!

looks like i've got a lot to work through here!

time to bury my head into lfs world and setups etc..!
welcome lfs couple! enjoy youre stay.

(im still noob by the way) id love to race u guys sometime
Well i thought Rob's lap was a little confusing for you with the mouse action so i went and did a lap but with ABS because ive been testing it lately and will probably take me a while to get back to normal again, i was pretty suprised by my first splits though, so don't worry if your not close to them :\ Set attatched too..

But try again with my set then i can comment, i don't want to critisise parts of your driving which might be down to the set, just makes it easier.
Attached files
Pearcy_2k7_BL1_XRG.spr - 123.5 KB - 194 views
XRG_BL1_Pearcy.set - 132 B - 1059 views
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :Well i thought Rob's lap was a little confusing for you with the mouse action so i went and did a lap but with ABS because ive been testing it lately and will probably take me a while to get back to normal again, i was pretty suprised by my first splits though, so don't worry if your not close to them :\ Set attatched too..

But try again with my set then i can comment, i don't want to critisise parts of your driving which might be down to the set, just makes it easier.

thanks, ill get onto that within the hour
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :Well i thought Rob's lap was a little confusing for you with the mouse action so i went and did a lap but with ABS because ive been testing it lately and will probably take me a while to get back to normal again, i was pretty suprised by my first splits though, so don't worry if your not close to them :\ Set attatched too..

When trying to view your replay, it says replay was made using a later version..?

however im running S2 Z.. which is the latest according to the main website.
^^^^ he is using a test patch from the test patch forum - one of the new addidtions are abs brakes.
if you want to try the test patch backup your current lfs exe in case you want to go back to it.
all test patches till now are online compatible - the only thing that is missing is the hotlaps for the cars with abs because the implementation is not finished.

peace mo
Yeah forgot about that :\ Try the setup anyway and upload a replay
ok, probably gonna turn in for the night now.. Pub is calling me.

Have a good night all.
-
(obsolum) DELETED by obsolum
Quote from Blakey. :

It would seem 4chan's taint reaches farther than i'd expected!

I'm a furry so it's kinda the opposite LOL
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :Well i thought Rob's lap was a little confusing for you with the mouse action

mouse?! MOUSE?! How dare you insult me with using such a controller
also, much like RL driving, use your gears to slow you down...
Quote from jwardy :is this the first lfs couple ?

Definately not the first couple the first couple I was aware of was roadhog and sexkitten - anyone remember them from s1 demo days They were both alot of fun. Sexkitten in particular had a whole lot of F binds that used to have the server in stitches whenever she raced

oh yeah, welcome to S2 guys enjoy your stay
Quote from Glenn67 :Definately not the first couple the first couple I was aware of was roadhog and sexkitten - anyone remember them from s1 demo days They were both alot of fun. Sexkitten in particular had a whole lot of F binds that used to have the server in stitches whenever she raced

oh yeah, welcome to S2 guys enjoy your stay

Yes I remember them on theTeam400 server when I first tried Teamspeak, her casual swearing would have make Peter cook and Dudley Moore proud.Have many good memories of those days,cracking racing but more importantly some really good laughs.
Quote from JohnPenn :Yes I remember them on theTeam400 server when I first tried Teamspeak, her casual swearing would have make Peter cook and Dudley Moore proud.Have many good memories of those days,cracking racing but more importantly some really good laughs.

Rofl. -- sounds familiar
Doh, this thread even attracted more ppl than the Test patches thread.

New Girl Signing In!
(128 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG