The online racing simulator
simple engine improvements
(16 posts, started )
#1 - serpa
Hi all, in this topic I refer to two basic things that should be changed.
1.) The engine should not be running at the beginning of the race. you should turn it on yourself and
2.) why does my engine stop automatically when I don't touch any controls for like 30 seconds or more... (it's not the point).

In my view it is not that difficult to improve these "settings". waitin for ideas.
1. In a real race you wouldn't start your car on the grid, you'd have done a warm-up lap or come out of the pits, and pulled up at your box. In LFS we don't have to start from the pits and drive around, so it makes sense to be on the grid with the engine running.

2. That's to save physics calculations, to help others' FPS. If you're going to be sitting at the side of the track or in the pits for a few minutes, there's no point having every player calculate your physics
#3 - serpa
Probably true, but wouldn't it be better if these settings were optional and could be set in the menu?
I think that LFS in the future should have the ability to start a race from the pits, with the engine off, and the player has to go for a warm-up lap and park at the lights. It's just a small thing, but for league races especially it would add much more immersion, as it makes it seem as though it's actually your car.

But for the engine turning off, I don't think it's that big a deal. Plus it helps those with older rigs, as they only have to calculate physics for those actually racing
Quote from serpa :Hi all, in this topic I refer to two basic things that should be changed.
1.) The engine should not be running at the beginning of the race. you should turn it on yourself and
2.) why does my engine stop automatically when I don't touch any controls for like 30 seconds or more... (it's not the point).

In my view it is not that difficult to improve these "settings". waitin for ideas.

1) Fair enough, and a +1 in my opinion

2) Not sure, noticed it myself and it's wierd/annoying. But only seems to happen when I minimize for any length of time.

No offense to the Devs or anyone else, but if your computer is so shit that it needs to turn your engine off to play the game smoothly, then you really need to upgrade and stop living on Windows 95 on that oh-so-awesome P2 and 8mb shared graphics, thankyou very much.

Quote from dougie-lampkin :I think that LFS in the future should have the ability to start a race from the pits, with the engine off, and the player has to go for a warm-up lap and park at the lights. It's just a small thing, but for league races especially it would add much more immersion, as it makes it seem as though it's actually your car.

Nice in theory, bad in practise. There are too many idiots that can't drive cleanly, half the grid would be wrecked on the warm up lap, there'd always be one prick that'd steal someone elses grid position "for lols", maybe a server side option for league races where people are actually sensible, but on more public servers such as CTRA and stuff, it'd be a waste of time.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Nice in theory, bad in practise. There are too many idiots that can't drive cleanly, half the grid would be wrecked on the warm up lap, there'd always be one prick that'd steal someone elses grid position "for lols", maybe a server side option for league races where people are actually sensible, but on more public servers such as CTRA and stuff, it'd be a waste of time.

It's easy to prevent this behavior. When every one has arrived at 100m from the start boxes, a simple indication with : "Please join your personnal box within X seconds before being spectated" would be efficient enough.
This should be automatically applied for races with qualifications, as the immersion would be really really better
1)no, bad idea becouse you lost time when you have to reving your engine to start
ps.i want engine sounds to sounds more realistic
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Nice in theory, bad in practise. There are too many idiots that can't drive cleanly, half the grid would be wrecked on the warm up lap, there'd always be one prick that'd steal someone elses grid position "for lols", maybe a server side option for league races where people are actually sensible, but on more public servers such as CTRA and stuff, it'd be a waste of time.

Of course it could be a server side option, player will be forced to spectate if he enters the wrong grid etc., and besides it only took about 5 years for us to learn how to take T1 somewhat cleanly, so why couldn't we learn doing warm up laps?

I see the warm up lap as a necessity for a complete realistic racing experience, just like false starts, clutch heat and other things we didn't have just a while ago.
Such a bad idea. There will be people who will go fast and crash into everyone else on the grid.
Quote from Zen321 :It's easy to prevent this behavior. When every one has arrived at 100m from the start boxes, a simple indication with : "Please join your personnal box within X seconds before being spectated" would be efficient enough.

Then the same people as mentioned in the post you quoted would block other pit boxes so that the others get spectated, too. For "lols".

There are actually people who prefer disturbing other people's races over racing themselves.
Quote from serpa :2.) why does my engine stop automatically when I don't touch any controls for like 30 seconds or more... (it's not the point).

I seem to recall someone speculated it is some kind of safety system intended to prevent fires. Since those are yet to be implemented in LFS, it'd be quite useless
thanks for the comments, but let me just come up with a new crazy thing.
it is well known that you can assign any key to turn on/off your "engine". but this isn't what it looks like. the control menu says that you can select a button for ignition. As far as I know ignition and engine are not the same (still)! As a consequence of this, supposing I select button "I" for ignition, then, I should hit "I" twice to get the engine running.
all in all, ignition and engine should be two different things in lfs that can be switched on/off by pressing a certain button. This is something that does make sense to me. and it's no use bringing up the matter of time over and over again. I doubt pressing a button twice in succession would slow any of us during a competition. Do not stall the engine and you won't need to worry about that : )
I've been meaning to suggest that we get separate ignition and starter buttons for a while now, á la rFactor It's much neater, you only have to press a button once, and even if you hit it twice it's not the end of the world, the engine doesn't die
Quote from dougie-lampkin :I've been meaning to suggest that we get separate ignition and starter buttons for a while now, á la rFactor It's much neater, you only have to press a button once, and even if you hit it twice it's not the end of the world, the engine doesn't die

It's much more annoying as well, at least on rFactor (Or in my case, Race 07/GTR Evo) - I never know when the ignition is on as I cannot see any light or infomation telling me so, and it takes probbably 2 seconds from pressing the starter to the engine actually even starting, and the whole cycle of "press starter button, wait for it to actually start, to a point where you can drive" probbably takes 5 seconds, not good enough if you stall your shopping car imo.
Quote from zeugnimod :Then the same people as mentioned in the post you quoted would block other pit boxes so that the others get spectated, too. For "lols".

There are actually people who prefer disturbing other people's races over racing themselves.

Yes, but we still have wreckers in the servs, no matter what admins try to do. So arguing by "oh some people might play ****ers for lols" is not valuable since we already do have this now. Plus, we don't have an auto spectate for wreckers, while we can have one for this.
To prevent this even more, the guy who blocks the box will be auto spectated if he doesn't move within like 10 secs AND won't be able to join for this race and the one after. This will prevent a lot of bad behavior .

Quote from dougie-lampkin :I've been meaning to suggest that we get separate ignition and starter buttons for a while now, á la rFactor It's much neater, you only have to press a button once, and even if you hit it twice it's not the end of the world, the engine doesn't die

For rev's sake, it's à la
Quote from Zen321 :For rev's sake, it's à la

Sorry, I've an Irish keyboard for fadas, not french accents

(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG