The online racing simulator
Glasses (ascertaining need for)
(74 posts, started )
Quote from mrodgers :...blithering on about contact lenses

My friend Amy started wearing contacts earlier this year and she's had a pretty different experience I think. She often turns up in the pub after work having swapped back to glasses just for comfort, and with her eyes looking quite tired and sore. She doesn't work in a particularly harsh environment - she's a stage manager at a local theatre.

I also remember my brother taking on contacts back in around 1989-ish (I don't think I've seen him since then but that's another thread!) and he seemed to spend an inordinate amount of time ****ing with little vials of saline solution and other such sanitary bullshit. I think that's what put me off.
Quote from thisnameistaken :My friend Amy started wearing contacts earlier this year and she's had a pretty different experience I think. She often turns up in the pub after work having swapped back to glasses just for comfort, and with her eyes looking quite tired and sore. She doesn't work in a particularly harsh environment - she's a stage manager at a local theatre.

Intersting. I work in a manufacturing plant. You can wipe a surface clean and within 10 seconds, it is covered in a layer of dust again. It is very dirty and dusty (extruded plastic resin and molded expanded plastic is what we make.) I never have a problem with my contacts bothering me. I put them in at 5 am and take them out around 9 or 10 PM. By that time, I'm on the computer for an hour or so in a poorly light room and looking at the monitor dries my eyes out. There are a few folks I work with who leave their contacts in for a month or 2 and sleep in them. The use a more porous contact that didn't fit my eyes very well. The newer contacts are made for your eyes to breath easier and you can wear them day and night without taking them out for a month+.

Quote :I also remember my brother taking on contacts back in around 1989-ish (I don't think I've seen him since then but that's another thread!) and he seemed to spend an inordinate amount of time ****ing with little vials of saline solution and other such sanitary bullshit. I think that's what put me off.

Back then it was a little different. You had to clean them. Now, they have solution where I just take them out and put them in a case in the solution. The following morning, I give them a quick squirt rinse before popping them in. Taking them out for the night takes me approximately 0.00256 seconds. Putting them in just before I jump in the shower takes approximately 10 seconds.

Best thing ever is I am finally able to find the soap and shampoo in the mornings when I take a shower, LOL. It's difficult to shower wearing glasses.

My eyes are very bad. Without corrective lenses, I wouldn't recognize my own children if they stood 3 feet in front of me.
It tried contacts, but didn't like it. The problem wasn't the hassle of putting them in/out, the discomfort, or whatever. No, my vision just wasn't as sharp as with glasses. Something to do with the shape of my eyeballs (cylinder), I believe). I work on a PC all day, and I had to squint to see my screen clearly.

I tried two sets, from different stores. When I returned the second set, the sales guy just shrugged and said something like "what did ya think?".
You get that with contacts though. They aren't made to your prescription like glasses, rather you choose from ready-made sets, no often they're never *quite* spot-on. The advantage is that they're a lot more robust, once you've got them in they're a lot more convenient, and you get to keep your peripheral vision (something that *really* irritates me with glasses - you have to turn your whole head, not just your eyes).
Quote from Crashgate3 :something that *really* irritates me with glasses - you have to turn your whole head, not just your eyes.

Now this is something I don't understand and I hear it quite a lot. I've had glasses for about 12 years now, since 3rd grade, but I don't seem to have that problem. I move my eyes and it doesn't hurt my head nor my vision gets dissorted from the lenses. I feel moving your eyes to the very edges feels sort of uncomfortable anyway, so loosing some field of view where the lens ends is not the end of the world for me. Although that just might be because I'm so used to that and without my glasses really can't see much, and I really mean that, reading without glasses is impossible further than 20 centimeters for me. Might be interesting to try some contacts some day, if they make any bat blind models.

Get your eyes sorted, you never know if you need glasses before you see it.
get a test letters on the net and check your self

just print it at the right size and look at it at the correct distant

you dont have to see very far small letters 8 out of ten line is good sight

edit:

http://www.i-see.org/eyecharts.html
I have worn specs/bins/googles since I was about 10, and it's true, you don't really notice your eyesight deteriating.

I generally get new glasses every 3 odd years, and over those 3 years, I don't notice any deteration in my vision, untill I get my new glasses.......

And OMFG what a difference it makes, THINGS HAVE EDGES!!!!!!, get em checked, if you need to wear corrective specs, get some spanky designer ones, and bask in the glory of the edges!!.

I guess it's like TV reception, or HD TV, when you are used to watching bad reception, or SD TV, and you go to your mates and watch decent HD, you then realise just how shitty your old SD TV looks.

I never have problem with my peripheral vision, can't see, and never have seen, the sides of my glasses lens

On a similar line, ear syringing, WOW, HD ears!!!!
When I first got my glasses I was surprized to find that trees had leaves. Until then I thought they were just giant green blobs.

I did the contacts thing for a while, but I never liked poking my finger in my eye. Plus I would lose lenses in weird places - at the beach, down the sink drain, etc.
Quote from danowat :I guess it's like TV reception, or HD TV, when you are used to watching bad reception, or SD TV, and you go to your mates and watch decent HD, you then realise just how shitty your old SD TV looks.

This is pretty much spot-on.
Quote from Blackout :Now this is something I don't understand and I hear it quite a lot. I've had glasses for about 12 years now, since 3rd grade, but I don't seem to have that problem. I move my eyes and it doesn't hurt my head nor my vision gets dissorted from the lenses. I feel moving your eyes to the very edges feels sort of uncomfortable anyway, so loosing some field of view where the lens ends is not the end of the world for me. Although that just might be because I'm so used to that and without my glasses really can't see much, and I really mean that, reading without glasses is impossible further than 20 centimeters for me. Might be interesting to try some contacts some day, if they make any bat blind models.

Get your eyes sorted, you never know if you need glasses before you see it.

It depends on the aplication, when I am driving normally glasses (sunglasses that is) sit on my face no problem, but once it comes to parking or anything tricky I have to take them off because the frame (not a big frame either) covers the corner of my eyes so I can't see a thing when moving my eyes.
The problem I found was that because I like the style of quite small lenses, if I looked up, down, left or right, I'd be looking around the lens and not through it, meaning everything went blurred again.
Quote from lerts :get a test letters on the net and check your self

just print it at the right size and look at it at the correct distant

you dont have to see very far small letters 8 out of ten line is good sight

Lerts is back!
Quote from Crashgate3 :The problem I found was that because I like the style of quite small lenses, if I looked up, down, left or right, I'd be looking around the lens and not through it, meaning everything went blurred again.

I find those suit my face best too, and I tell you - it makes reversing a car a fairly interesting experience But you don't often need to use your peripheral vision for more than just knowledge that there's something there, so it's not really that big a deal.
Don't really understand how you need the whole field of view to park a car, but then I do mostly suck at parking cars...
Quote from Dajmin :I find those suit my face best too, and I tell you - it makes reversing a car a fairly interesting experience But you don't often need to use your peripheral vision for more than just knowledge that there's something there, so it's not really that big a deal.

Unless you are parking your car into a labyrinth I really see no reason why glasses would make it any harder. Humans don't really "see" much on the extreme ends on the sides, you mostly notice movement there which catches your attention.
It's not about peripheral vision though. It's about moving your eyes one way and your head another, which you do a lot when reversing since you can't turn your head 180 degrees unless you're Linda Blair. The result is that you end up looking around your glasses instead of through them.
Quote from Crashgate3 :It's not about peripheral vision though. It's about moving your eyes one way and your head another, which you do a lot when reversing since you can't turn your head 180 degrees unless you're Linda Blair. The result is that you end up looking around your glasses instead of through them.

Mirrors? I still don't get it. I park almost daily into tight slots and I have never had problems because I couldn't see what's around me... But then I don't drive 50tonne lorries nor forklifts for my job. But I have driven forklift and again I had zero problems because I wear glasses. But then again I have never driven anything without glasses . (well bicycle)
Quote from Hyperactive :Mirrors? I still don't get it. I park almost daily into tight slots and I have never had problems because I couldn't see what's around me... But then I don't drive 50tonne lorries nor forklifts for my job. But I have driven forklift and again I had zero problems because I wear glasses. But then again I have never driven anything without glasses . (well bicycle)

You can only see so much out of your mirrors, so when you turn your head to one side to look out the back/side windows you generally only get ~90 degrees of head movement, so the rest of the angle is done with your eyes. That is where one might find it difficult to see.
Quote from Crashgate3 :The problem I found was that because I like the style of quite small lenses, if I looked up, down, left or right, I'd be looking around the lens and not through it, meaning everything went blurred again.

me too, I'm not into the ones with big lenses
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :You can only see so much out of your mirrors, so when you turn your head to one side to look out the back/side windows you generally only get ~90 degrees of head movement, so the rest of the angle is done with your eyes. That is where one might find it difficult to see.

Rotate your upper body and lean out of your seat a bit?

No wonder you guys have never made much good drivers when it seems so hard and complicated to park a car. :P
I must confess my girlfriend's better at parking than I am.

She drives a lot more than I do though, I only really use the car to run gear out to rehearsals once or twice a week. And her car is so small I have to crane my legs around the wheel to get to the pedals.
Quote from Blackout :
No wonder you guys have never made much good drivers when it seems so hard and complicated to park a car. :P

Made me lol

Glasses (ascertaining need for)
(74 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG