The online racing simulator
HELP! - Dead Samsung 32 inch TV?
(18 posts, started )
#1 - MR_B
Hey all,

I bought a Samsung 32 inch LE32R51BD a couple of days ago, and managed to plug it into my pc via vga. Everything's all fine and dandy until I find I cannot turn on the screen today.

I press the on button, the red light flashes (as it should) and then the screen shows no picture, however there is power getting to it as it looks like there's a backlight working. When I then try to adjust anything.... channel/ volume/ menu. it won't show any display that these buttons are working. Although I do get sound if I magically strike lucky and stumble across a tv channel on analogue.

One thing I noticed is that the dfp wheel lost power when the screen was turned on. And it returned when it was turned off.
So I unplugged every device from my plug socket, with only the TV remaining. And it's still showing a blank screen.

Any ideas??
Try unpluging it from your pc. Or try putting it in a differnet room and test it as a tv in there.
#3 - MR_B
Quote :So I unplugged every device from my plug socket, with only the TV remaining.

I've tried it without the pc plugged in. However i will try another room...
It might be a nackered cable aswell. So if it is the same in another room steal the cable from another telly and try with that.
#5 - MR_B
Ok just tested power supply and another cable. Both work perfectly fine with other monitor. TV blank screen of death still persists... :|
Get in touch with the place where you bought it. Was it doing this from day one?
#7 - MR_B
It's from Currys, where I work. And it had been doing it since I bought it. But in the sense that it was pot luck as to whether it worked.
Basically I haven't been able to repeat the steps I'd take to get the TV to work the previous time.

It worked perfectly fine in store...
Sneak in at night and swap it for another.
Just bring it back for an exchange if it was a couple days ago...
#10 - CSU1
Quote from MR_B :Hey all,

I bought a Samsung 32 inch LE32R51BD a couple of days ago, and managed to plug it into my pc via vga. Everything's all fine and dandy until I find I cannot turn on the screen today.

I press the on button, the red light flashes (as it should) and then the screen shows no picture, however there is power getting to it as it looks like there's a backlight working. When I then try to adjust anything.... channel/ volume/ menu. it won't show any display that these buttons are working. Although I do get sound if I magically strike lucky and stumble across a tv channel on analogue.

One thing I noticed is that the dfp wheel lost power when the screen was turned on. And it returned when it was turned off.
So I unplugged every device from my plug socket, with only the TV remaining. And it's still showing a blank screen.

Any ideas??

I take it that you are using a desktop PC? I had similar problems with my gfx card on my notebook the first obvious was the "extended display" feature and second was that my Samsung HD TV just would not display some resolutions(can't remember atm), try lowering the resolution of your gfx card? worth a shot...worked for me.
Attached images
DSC00225.JPG
#11 - MR_B
Quote from CSU1 :I take it that you are using a desktop PC? I had similar problems with my gfx card on my notebook the first obvious was the "extended display" feature and second was that my Samsung HD TV just would not display some resolutions(can't remember atm), try lowering the resolution of your gfx card? worth a shot...worked for me.

Hey CSU1, thanks for that suggestion. I managed to get it working once before. It would show "mode not supported" on screen. I lowered the resolution and it worked. The actual problem now is that NOTHING shows. No volume controls, no menu's, however sound works absolutely fine. I'll take it back today. My suspicion is that the power unit within the Samsung is dead.
I have seen that same problem on a Samsung TV only once before... Try unplugging it for about 30 minutes.. I don't know if it will work for you but it worked on the other TV... something reset after all of the power was completely drained and it fixed the problem.
Quote from blackbird04217 :Just bring it back for an exchange if it was a couple days ago...

Im guessing, if he works there and doesn't want to return it for exchange, he probably "got it for free"
#14 - MR_B
Ok it turns out if i hit the bugger on the top it works. There must be a loose connection within the TV...

*note: by the term "hit the bugger" i mean, give it a light tap *

Hitting things until they work - never fails.
My large sony tv does the same thing, you have to move or tap it to get the line in to work, but this things almost ten years old, a new TV should never do that.

I would say get it exchanged anyway, its not worth living with that problem, because one day it just wont work at all. I'm just waiting till my TV dies so I have an excuse to get an HD one.
Quote from DragonCommando :but this things almost ten years old

Gee, thats almost as old as this thread. Why necroing so many threads lately?
Well at least it's on topic - like he didn't ask for a jumbo jet in LFS, for example.

(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG