The online racing simulator
Glasses (ascertaining need for)
(74 posts, started )
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :Try and get 2 naked laddies sitting just at the corner of you so that you can just see them out of the corner of you're eye while you code...

Man I hope you meant "ladies"
Quote from Dajmin :Man I hope you meant "ladies"

Yes I did, in my defence I've been up since 2 am after 3 hours kip.
Quote from Dajmin :Man I hope you meant "ladies"

Hush. It was a test for Kev's eyes.
Well, you can never tell with Kev and Scott
And hey, I have no problem with the gay thing, but "laddies" implies pretty young and this isn't the website for that
Quote from Dajmin :"laddies" implies pretty young and this isn't the website for that

didnt kev admit to being a huge scorpions fan last week?
Quote from thisnameistaken :I was sitting in a car with a friend the other day and he asked me if I could read a number plate on a car parked further up the street, and I couldn't! He could. So we got out of the car and tried some others and I'm starting to think that my eyesight might be borderline these days in terms of driving and stuff.

It's weird though, I don't notice any issues day-to-day, I don't think I struggle to read stuff that's far away, I don't really believe I need to read distant number plates anyway, do I? I don't know what to do.

If I go for an eye test they're going to try to sell me glasses - you can't trust opticians when they've got shops full of glasses they need to sell! And I don't want to be stuck wearing glasses all the time if I don't really need them all that badly. I look like enough of a ****ing poindexter already...

But I suppose you never know whether you need glasses until you see what the corrected version of your vision looks like, but you can't find out unless you go and have some dude try to sell you glasses. Grrr!

What should I do?

If I may post another "moronic" comment in your thread, oh might Kev

Just walk into an opticians and ask to book an eyesight test. Don't mention your sight at all, if they ask why, just say that you have one every year and it's time for the next one. If they ask how you got on last time, then say you had no problems. If you don't like glasses, there are contact lenses which may be slighly irritating at first, but after a short period you don't even notice they're there. Besides, there are some stylish glasses out there that may even improve your look.

But don't worry about being pressured into buying any, because you are allowed to try the various lenses out to see if they improve your vision - You don't have to pay for them until you actually say "I want those ones".
I got my glasses 7 years ago, never realised quite how poor my vision was until I got them. And if you don't get them when you do need them, your vision will likely get worse
Quote from Shotglass :didnt kev admit to being a huge scorpions fan last week?

I was about to mention them if you didn't.
Well, two options really. Go check your eyes or don't .

Few cheap tricks:
1) you could ask your friends and relatives if they have some spare glasses from their dead relatives lieing around (glasses lieing around). Check the local jumble sales too. Remember to try them on before paying anything.
2) when having the eye check they will probably put some kind of lense device on your head that looks like glasses with changeable lenses. When they have found the perfect post, ask if you can go outside the shop to check if you can really see better. After you step out the shop, leg it.
3) buy two bottles of beer and sand paper
Quote from thisnameistaken :I can't live without the PC for a few days because I write code for a living.

I don't feel like my eyes are tired though, even after doing 8+ hours at a pop. I think I have noticed my eyes getting closer together though - maybe that's why my focus at long distance is a little off, I just need to get my eyes further apart again.

If that is the case if possible place your monitor under a window, or as close as possible without it becoming impractical, so every now and then you can look up and try to focus on the furthest away item, this stretches out your eyes and prevents you becoming short-sighted.
You (One) should have regular eyetests even if your vision is 20-20 and you know it. They can show up a variety of eye conditions in their early stages, but also a whole host of other non-eye-related conditions, like kidney problems and brain tumours to name but two.
go get an eye test, they wont fool you in any way, they tell you to read some letters and puts some lenses on these massive wierd looking frames, and then asks you to read it again, you will see a huge difference (i did)

i got white contact lenses, my eyes look awesome now
Quote from DevilDare :go get an eye test, they wont fool you in any way, they tell you to read some letters and puts some lenses on these massive wierd looking frames, and then asks you to read it again, you will see a huge difference (i did)

Exactly. You'll see with your eyes the difference, no one's going to play with your health. My glasses have been part of my life for decades: I was 12 when I started wearing them and I believed I didn't need them because I simply didn't know. Then, literally, I saw. Each time I have to renew my driving license I ask to skip the test without glasses because I already know I wouldn't pass it.

Still I could manage to drive without them and I did when I broke my glasses (although if I got caught I'd have been in trouble), but it isn't worth the strain. Now I keep another pair in my car.

The moral is, if you feel they improve the quality of your life, wear them. If you don't and you don't need them, don't. But I'd check my eyesight if I had the kind of deficit you describe since you seem to suffer from myopia. At least you'd know with a certain degree of certainty.
Get some contacts. I'm pretty short-sighted but went without for years because a pair of glasses would last me about a month before I either lost or broke them. I tried again a year or so ago and again, they lasted me 3 months before I broke THEN lost them.

I've had contacts for a year now (from Specsavers) and deciding to get them is one of the best decisions I've ever made. I honestly cannot imagine how I used to cope without them. They're about £10 a month and I just get three sets sent to me though the post every 3 months. The actual test took about half an hour and I went home in new contacts that day.

I've not had a single problem with them making my eyes tired or sore (I work with a computer 9-5 and a good 3 or 4 hours on my home PC when I get back from work), although very occasionally I find they dry my eyes out a bit, but nothing more serious than it being mildly annoying. Just taking them out and reapplying them sorts that out.

I've not got glasses (for reasons stated above) and although the opticial suggested I get some purely for convenience, he didn't push me to buy a pair.
Hey Kev, maybe this is why you did that faceplant on your bicycle.

I have no interest in objects touching my eyes so contacts are out for me. I wear glasses all day every day except when I'm sleeping. I can function without them but I like being able to see clearly.

One thing I noticed once I got glasses was I could pick out individual branches on trees very easily in great detail and it was quite a sight. It's the little things.
Quote from Hyperactive :Well, two options really. Go check your eyes or don't .

Few cheap tricks:
1) you could ask your friends and relatives if they have some spare glasses from their dead relatives lieing around (glasses lieing around). Check the local jumble sales too. Remember to try them on before paying anything.
2) when having the eye check they will probably put some kind of lense device on your head that looks like glasses with changeable lenses. When they have found the perfect post, ask if you can go outside the shop to check if you can really see better. After you step out the shop, leg it.
3) buy two bottles of beer and sand paper

4) stand closer to everything.
Quote from Mazz4200 :4) stand closer to everything.

How does that work when you have to drive a car? You don't have room to stand up.
Sit closer.
#45 - Vain
Drive faster so you get to see things more quickly.

Vain
Quote from arco :Free online eyesight test

Damn i was counting them and was like wtf is the point in this i can always count the dots, then i realised they took more clothes off as they got smaller :\
Quote from Electrik Kar :

Let's not get crazy!

In all seriousness though, you should definitely get an eyetest. Glasses or contacts aren't as much of a hassle as you may think. Definitely try contacts, I used to think the same thing. Putting them in and taking them out is a joke after a couple of months. And after a couple of years, you don't even think about what you're doing anymore. I wear contacts all day, and they're the most comfortable things ever. Beats glasses all the way.

No harm done in taking the test m8. You wouldn't want to risk your vision getting worse, right?
Quote from sinbad :You (One) should have regular eyetests even if your vision is 20-20 and you know it. They can show up a variety of eye conditions in their early stages, but also a whole host of other non-eye-related conditions, like kidney problems and brain tumours to name but two.

Damn you and your rational thinking!

Thanks to everybody (Hyperactive, Mazz4200, BobSmith, Vain [where have you been man? We miss you!]) who made the thread more entertaining.

Forbin: I can see things in pretty good detail from good distance, I think my eyesight is pretty marginally faulty at long distances, but I am going to book an eye test to find out, because Sinbad sensibled me into it. The ****er.

I'll report back...
Quote from thisnameistaken :My brother used contacts and it looks like too much of a pain in the arse, I don't think I'd bother with them.

I've been wearing glasses since the 3rd grade (age 9?) As you know, I am close to your age. I never thought I could stick my finger in my eye and contacts looked like a huge pain in the arse to me as well.

Along comes 2004, after about 21 years of wearing glasses, and I finally had enough of them fogging up when I come in from the cold, them being dirty all the time, lights glaring on them, them being heavy on the nose, needing to wear extremely heavy safety glasses with the lenses made from actual glass at work, and needing to spend a couple hundred for a pair of sunglasses over just grabbing a $10 pair in any discount store. I decided to at least try contacts.

I sat in the eye doctor's office for over an hour trying to put that little piece of silicon lens in my eye. It was horrible! An hour each eye that day, a week later and it's pop-pop, they both are in. I can't believe I waited 20+ years to switch from pain in the arse glasses to contacts.

Getting contacts was the absolute best thing I had ever done in my entire life. My eye prescription hasn't changed since around 1990. If I had the balls and the cash to do lasik (sp?) surgery, I would. I have neither of those though to get it done. I'm perfectly happy to put two lenses I can't even feel on my eye half an hour after getting up and taking them out about an hour before I go to bed.

Best thing I ever did.

Glasses (ascertaining need for)
(74 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG