The online racing simulator
Overclocking
(21 posts, started )
#1 - kyler
Overclocking
I was wondering what u think if i should overclock this to get a lil better proformance

Intel Core 2 Q6600 Quad-Core
3 GB of DDR2 system memory, 667 MHz
ATI Radeon HD3650 256MB
#2 - Jakg
It's up to you.
yes you should, Q6600 quads are made for it. you should be able to get it to 3gig easy depending on cooling and the rest of your setup.
Yup, mine's running comfortably at 3Ghz with 30-40° under load. Make sure you have the recent one (G0), as the older one is liable to burst into flames (Well, not really. But the new one has much more headroom)

Just experiment with slight increases, testing with Prime95 (4 needed, for each core) for an hour after every say 0.5Ghz increase (this is up to you though, but that's how I found my maximum clock). If it's unstable at that, drop it down and try again. It's a fairly time consuming process, but it can give a great increase. It's given me 20% more CPU performance
#5 - WIGGA
Quote from dougie-lampkin : (B0 I think)

G0!

With a good setup you can run it @ 3,4-3,8GHz. But only if your CPU is a G0 and you have to have a good Mobo and good cooling. The older B3's are bad for OC. 3GHz is mostly the maximum...
G0 indeed, whoops
#7 - kyler
ok now sence i got that down.. what program do you think i should use and how much at a time or do i just jump right up to that? thanks for the help!
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Yup, mine's running comfortably at 3Ghz with 30-40° under load. Make sure you have the recent one (G0), as the older one is liable to burst into flames (Well, not really. But the new one has much more headroom)

Just experiment with slight increases, testing with Prime95 (4 needed, for each core) for an hour after every say 0.5Ghz increase (this is up to you though, but that's how I found my maximum clock). If it's unstable at that, drop it down and try again. It's a fairly time consuming process, but it can give a great increase. It's given me 20% more CPU performance

I have a Q6600 SLACR and was wondering if you could help me achieve a small overclock - Say to around 2.8ghz, on my standard Chipset cooler. D:
Quote from kyler :ok now sence i got that down.. what program do you think i should use and how much at a time or do i just jump right up to that? thanks for the help!

do it in your bios, i hate having programs running in bg that i dont need. jump up in 100 mhz increments. if it starts shitting out on you then do it in 50mhz steps

ive punished my q9450 to run at 3.6 as opposed to its weaksauce 2.66ghz. it hates priming but is stable for a 24/7 OC
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I have a Q6600 SLACR and was wondering if you could help me achieve a small overclock - Say to around 2.8ghz, on my standard Chipset cooler. D:

I've no idea how good/terrible the standard cooler is, I got a tray CPU and fitted an AC Freezer 7 Pro on it But just go into teh BIOS, find the clock utility, and increase slowly. Then run speedfan and go run Prime95 or play some heavy games. Eventually you'll find a spot where it's either unstable, or running too hot. Then just decrease the overclock, and leave it there
Ok o_o;
And if your bios doesn't support overclocking, like mine? I've got the Q6600 aswell.
Use some explorer based O/Cing program. Thankfully my mobo does support OC/ing, cause Abit are pro.
Quote from Gunsmith :do it in your bios, i hate having programs running in bg that i dont need. jump up in 100 mhz increments. if it starts shitting out on you then do it in 50mhz steps

ive punished my q9450 to run at 3.6 as opposed to its weaksauce 2.66ghz. it hates priming but is stable for a 24/7 OC

This may sound weird but what will i really gain by doing this? besides making a nice foot heater?
Quote from kyler :This may sound weird but what will i really gain by doing this? besides making a nice foot heater?

If you're thinking that way (and also wondering if overclocking is for you) then it probably isn't - you need to be wholly confident that it's the right thing to do AND you also need to know what you're doing. Another thing to consider is that it'll likely reduce the lifespan of your parts, especially if you start overvolting to get more overclock out of things.
I swap bits around every few months so life expectancy isnt really an issue.
Quote from Gunsmith :I swap bits around every few months so life expectancy isnt really an issue.

I was referring to the OP
ahh gotcha, i'll wake up at somepoint this morning.
So is that a no i dont need to overclock?
It depends. If you're willing to spend a few hours doing it right for maybe a 30% increase in power at best (maybe you could get more with some decent cooling and a lucky chip, I don't know), then do it. Have a read up on it first, and take your time. If done right it can give a very noticeable performance increase, and would be very noticeable in single-threaded LFS, which only uses one core. It's up to you really
U say read up on it could u maybe give me some links or somthing to search? and thanks for all you help guys

Overclocking
(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG