The online racing simulator
Recommend me a wheel
(22 posts, started )
Recommend me a wheel
I need a sort of cheap wheel and pedals mainly for drifting. I have no idea what is good and such :P, please help.
For drifting, I'd say G25 is the best. However it's about 240$ :S.

Now the other good wheels are the DFP (I got mine for 60$) but it is just horrible for drifting. The force feedback is extremly slow and it will be nearly impossible to counter steer without breaking the thing.

Momo has about the same force feedback as the DFP but it only has 270 degrees of rotation. That was my first wheel back when I was a drifter. Its ok and it should be pretty cheap.

Theres also the Fanatech Porsche wheels now if you want to take a look at the prices. Apperently the force feedback in them is great and the wheel itself is pretty damn good apperently.
My DFP is perfect for drifting . No force feedback and 180 degrees though is annoyingly easiest .
No expert on drifting but doesn´t real drivers use excessive steering lock? I run 120 degrees in GRID for drifting lol

However even though G25 is marginally faster then the Fanatec wheel I suspect they are both really to slow for 900 degree setups? Then we are up to the FREX 1500$ wheel or what it´s.....

If you instead opt for less steering lock so you faster get from lock to lock any of the cheaper wheels do just great I am sure.

Logitech, Thrustmaster, Fanatec. But the cheaper Fanatec wheel is not out yet so unless you can wait some month look for some cheap Thrustmaster, Logitech offerings
G25 is fine if you use the steering wheel locks that LFS gave to the cars (maximum 720)

And Shaun, no FFB isn't fun. At least not for me, its kinda pointless getting a FFB wheel that can go 900 degrees and using 180 of them with no FFB. Basicly it would be easier to get one of those small, cheap wheels that cost 10$...
Quote from evilpimp :For drifting, I'd say G25 is the best. However it's about 240$ :S.

Now the other good wheels are the DFP (I got mine for 60$) but it is just horrible for drifting. The force feedback is extremly slow and it will be nearly impossible to counter steer without breaking the thing.

Momo has about the same force feedback as the DFP but it only has 270 degrees of rotation. That was my first wheel back when I was a drifter. Its ok and it should be pretty cheap.

Theres also the Fanatech Porsche wheels now if you want to take a look at the prices. Apperently the force feedback in them is great and the wheel itself is pretty damn good apperently.

G25 is a little too expensive for me. :P The other two sound decent, but you said they are horrible for drifting. Know anything cheap that's decent for drifting? Thanks.
Quote from Stynax :G25 is a little too expensive for me. :P The other two sound decent, but you said they are horrible for drifting. Know anything cheap that's decent for drifting? Thanks.

Naw, I said the DFP is horrible for drifting but the Momo is fine simply because it has less steerin lock. Actually, you could get the DFP and set it to lock at something like 360 degrees for drifting and normal locks when your racing (because you will eventually return to the good side =_=)
Quote from evilpimp :Naw, I said the DFP is horrible for drifting but the Momo is fine simply because it has less steerin lock. Actually, you could get the DFP and set it to lock at something like 360 degrees for drifting and normal locks when your racing (because you will eventually return to the good side =_=)

They are both almost the same price, which one would you say is better? :P
Clearly the DFP. It's basicly a Momo with a better steering wheel and it turns 900 degrees (and you can set the rotation) while the Momo is only 270 degrees. So I'd suggest the DFP if you have the choice between both.
Find a flea market and look for a wheel there, thats what I did.

And I scored a Microsoft sidewinder precision USB for $30.

It's not force feedback, but if you install the right drivers you can run the pedals on seperate axis mode. It's a very well constructed wheel, not quite as well constructed as the Thrustmaster Nascar, but those don't work on XP anymore.
DFP is old by now (not to be underrated, still)
thing is,
Logitech replaced the original DFP with the driving force GT, which is priced at an equal recommended resale value (or whatever the english equivalent of "UVP" ((i.e.: unverbindliche Preisempfehlung)) is). It should have faster FFB than it's predecessor and it has a sequential shifter on the side so it would suffice for some steering abuse quite well, I guess.
The Fanatec "Carrera" variant that is due to arrive to the shops some time next year would be the offer of the competition I think.

Drifitng with mouse would be the way to go when waiting for the latter to be "buy-able" Using the turbo-lag on the xrt it is in some way "not-impossible" to do so even with digital throttle/brakes ;-)

edit:
BUT I should add that for full control over everything a decent set of pedals (with clutch pedal) and maybe an optional analogue handbrake (for example a cheap joystick) would probably be both needed. Like what Sushi-man ("drift-king") calls 'shift-lock' is only possible with some decent amount of control over the clutch

and no I am not a pro-drifter - even if I tried some stuff for fun the past couple of days
#12 - AMB
Power ranger has a wheel with 1200 degrees rotation and ff, it has a pr logo on it and you can buy it at woolworths.
Right, forgot about the DF GT, if you have the money for that, go for it!
Thanks everyone. :P

Quote from evilpimp :Right, forgot about the DF GT, if you have the money for that, go for it!

Should I go with DF GT, or is G25 worth the money? Thanks. :P
If its basicly a DFP with better FFB then its probably worth it.

The G25 is worth it for a drifter imo. But its still a lot of money :S.
Quote from evilpimp :If its basicly a DFP with better FFB then its probably worth it.

The G25 is worth it for a drifter imo. But its still a lot of money :S.

I've got a ~$200 budget, so I could either get G25, or DFP, with something else. :P Right now i'm leaning towards G25, but i'm not entirely sure yet. Thanks.
i have a g25 and thinks its sickly good and it was worth the hardsaved money for me
a little sum-it-up...
Quote from Stynax :I've got a ~$200 budget, so I could either get G25, or DFP, with something else. :P Right now i'm leaning towards G25, but i'm not entirely sure yet. Thanks.

fanatec top-of-the-line P-turbo wheel (only one available, right now)

+ | belt-driven, biggest wheel diameter, seperate shifters, 900°-mode
- | price, limited experience by fellow lfs-racers as of yet
o | the optional clubsport-pedals sure look like something superiour

Logitech wheels:
Momo Racing Force (black)
+ | nice hands-on finish to it, 6 buttons at centre of wheel, cheap street-prices, excelent pedal-shifts in reach
- | only 240° of rotation, slow/restricting ffb-motor (but with good overall-feel to it), cheap-looking sequential stick-shifter, known-to somtimes break pedal-unit, no clutch-pedal

Driving Force Pro
+ | 900°-mode (first of it's kind), lots of buttons, PS2/3 compatible, cheap street-price (preferable to the momo-black)
- | same cheap pedals as the momo-black, less well-located pedal-shifters, slow ffb (same as momo-black?), no clutch-pedal, already out of production --> see the "GT"

Driving Force GT
+ | 900°-mode, lots of buttons, PS2/3-compatible, relatively quicker ffb than momo-black or DFP, price-point/value for money, sequential side-shifter, sequential pedal shift present.
- | relatively new to the market, limited experience of fellow lfs-users, seems to sport the same old plastic pedal-unit known to give up unter advanced use / no clutch-pedal

G25
+ | 900°-mode with 2 very sharp and reasonably fast ffb-motors, nice leather finish on wheel and gearstick, 6+1-speed gearstick with sequential-mode, sturdy pedals with clutch-pedals, cheaper to buy than P-turbo wheel, excelent steel-pedal shifters, PS2/3 compatible (but who would need this kind of wheel for arcarde-style racing?)
- | gear-shifter might break under advanced use (build quality / construction not on par with the rest), lots of buttons - but harder to reach which renders them moderately useless, a pain to frequently mount on a normal desk because of the unique wiring strategy

If it was my pick of the bunch today (I am G25-owner already) I would probably go for

-> the DF-GT if money is key
(or still wait for the Porsche Carrera wheel for about the same price) - eventually opting for sturdy aftermarket pedals

--> go for the G25 if the Porsche-Turbo one is out of my reach but DF-GT is too cheap / unavailable for me.

--> take the G25 if I thought I would really be getting into things and wanted to try a "safe bet" at things

I'd completely dismiss any chances on the Momo-black (but, hey -> I had that as my 2nd wheel before getting the G25// it is in no way bad, but it's technology is completely outdated given the price-tag!)

-> the new Porsche-Turbo wheel with the optional clubsport pedals if money is of no concern.

PEW, got more complicated than anticipated.
However: If there would come a shortage of money and only cheaper stuff is left on the radar: go for a decent value Thrustmaster wheel as they are almost the same quality as the old black Momo / but with less to go wrong - pedal units! (those have got an actual bearing for the pedals, for once - so if something brakes they indeed are easier to repair! If that will be your choice examine the pedal-shifters fist, reason being: My first wheel, an early "Ferrari Enzo"-Model had too stiff springs providing the counter-force for the extremely thin and light shifter pedals, one of that broke cleanly in half during up-shift that way. The ffb was decent, though.

Greets
DrBen
Yes G25 for sure! I got one too, and i love it.
Its just GREAT for drifting and definatly worth the money, and i just made an E-brake from a controller and its very fun.
Quote from evilpimp :Clearly the DFP. It's basicly a Momo with a better steering wheel and it turns 900 degrees (and you can set the rotation) while the Momo is only 270 degrees. So I'd suggest the DFP if you have the choice between both.

Sorry I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome my Momo is.

Look how my DFP look small compared to my Momo:

Momo is for big boys.
Thanks for showing me something I knew. I have the Momo, DFP and G25...

It's bigger, so what? It turns 240 or 270 degrees... That ruins the fun completly... (imo)
Nah, it's cool if you use the single seaters a lot, or if you're just too poor for a G25 like me.

Recommend me a wheel
(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG