The online racing simulator
Can the Top Gear test track be licensed?
Hi!, I wanted to ask, would it be possible to license the Top Gear test track? I mean, it was only properly known on Top Gear. I mean, I don't think it would be too expensive to license. I hope I'm not asking for a lot, but I think that most of the LFS community would like to have it. If licensing the Suzuki Liana could be possible as well, that would a really cool bonus. Would you (devs) please consider the idea?
Why don't the devs just make their own test track?
Yes, it would be possible to get the Top Gear track in LFS. Whether or not it can be done in practical terms, and under the dev's terms and agreements, is another question.

You may wish to read through: http://www.lfsforum.net/showth ... p;highlight=top+gear+test

Quote from wheel4hummer :Why don't the devs just make their own test track?

You mean...like every other track in the sim? Seriously, whats the difference, other than the "decoration" (so to speak)?
Seems like this question has been asked so many times in the past 12 months. What is so great about the top Gear test track?
aside from the fact its on top gear i actually find the track itself pretty boring, it's just an airfield anyway!

the devs could easily make their own airfield with runways and taxi`ing roads which could have multiple configs pretty easily without the licensing costs (if there are any licensing costs)
#6 - ajp71
Firstly it would be boring. Secondly if we're only getting B list tracks I think it would be best to avoid real circuit/car combinations because it will lead to LFS being exposed as being unrealisticly fast, just like every other sim due to the culmination of little RL factors.
All I meant was for fun. If the track could be made realistically, and the times you'd get would be very similair to the RL times of the track by comparing the Liana to the XF GTi, and you got 1:47s-50s then I think you'd get it spot on. I think that if the track were to be made, it would be really easy to get LFS on Top Gear, since its the only game that would have the track, which would help in spreading the word about the game through the program. I know it seems odd that you can have other great English tracks such as Silverstone, Brandshatch, Croft, Snetterton and Oulton Park but the thing that I worry about is licensing fees. I thought that since everyone likes Top Gear, and most probably the licensing costs to get the track into the game won't be expensive compared to the other tracks, then why not get it?. I'd really like to have Silverstone, Spa or Monaco but it just seems, unless LFS gets really big anytime soon, that its a very ambitious idea. I hope that after the release of S3, since it will have faster cars than S2 and more tracks, that LFS will get serious coverage and everyone will be talking about it and also, since the devs said that modding will be possible after S3, it would open up LFS to having RL stuff like having a Ferrari Enzo or getting Spa so I think the modding will also help the factor of getting people into LFS. I know it may seem the I veered away from the main point but I'm just trying to prove that, right now, we need to see about getting simple things then maybe, after LFS gets known more, the devs would be able to consider licensing other big tracks or cars. (A little note to the devs) Fellas, I really think if you were to include the Top Gear test track in the game, it would help LFS to become more known to those people who think that games like Forza Motorsport and Gran Turismo 4 are the most realistic driving games out there, PROVE'EM WRONG!!! .
#8 - ORION
You can make your own test tracks using the autocross editor (shift-u)
If the devs go for a real life track, which they don't need too, a circuit like Lydden would be ideal, not Dunsfold.
Quote from duke_toaster :If the devs go for a real life track, which they don't need too, a circuit like Lydden would be ideal, not Dunsfold.

Or Nordschleife.
Quote from Leprekaun :... I hope that after the release of S3, since it will have faster cars than S2 and more tracks, that LFS will get serious coverage and everyone will be talking about it and also, since the devs said that modding will be possible after S3, ...

Where did you get that information from?
Quote from zeugnimod :Where did you get that information from?

I think this is a bit like telling the babysitter that Mom said you could have a whiskey if you were good.
Quote from KillerMonkey :Or Nordschleife.

Lydden: Licence about 50p.
Nordschleife: Licence about £5m.

OK, maybe an exaggeration.
Quote from jtr99 :I think this is a bit like telling the babysitter that Mom said you could have a whiskey if you were good.

I was just asking, because I havent read confirmation of the devs on this anywhere.

There are only several people here, who assume, that this will happen, and somehow now, everybody believes, that this is true.
Yep, its great how wishes turn into assumptions then get reported as heresay and finally make it into folk history and urban myth.
There's a lot of assumptions and wishes about, which the community gradually adopts as fact, but there's little sense or substance in most of it.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
About that modding info, I think I've read it in 2 places, I think it was said in the forums somewhere, and I think I've read it in an ASS special issue on the BF1. I can't remember where I read it, but I've definitely seen something like that somewhere, and almost 100% sure that Scawen said it. Anyway, please, lets not veer away from the main point of the subject. As I've said before, I think that the devs should try to see about licensing low cost tracks (e.g.: Top Gear test track, or Lydden [never heard of it ]) because the devs aren't exactly rolling in the cash so you gotta start small and simple then, hopefully, the popularity of LFS will increase, leading to more licenses which then results more money. I really want the Nordschleife as well, but plz, think about costs, costs, costs. As duke_toaster said, it costs around 5m to license the Nordschleife, and I don't think the devs have that kind of money. Please, please, before you post think about costs and don't just think about the real famous tracks because they would be too expensive.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I heard Scawen bought John Prescott a Cyberseat. But he had to get him a custom-made one to fit his fat useless arse.

LOL LOL LOL

+100 for a free cyberseat for everyone!
#19 - joen
Quote from Leprekaun :About that modding info, I think I've read it in 2 places, I think it was said in the forums somewhere,

Don't believe anything you hear on the forums is all I can say

Quote :
and I think I've read it in an ASS special issue on the BF1. I can't remember where I read it, but I've definitely seen something like that somewhere, and almost 100% sure that Scawen said it

You read wrong. The devs have said that they are not against modding, and that they won't rule out the possibility of LFS being moddable in the future, but they just aren't sure themselves. And if LFS will be moddable, it remains to be seen in what way and to what extent. So, if the devs don't know how is anyone on the forums supposed to know?
I reckon Tristan knows. He's been a bit quiet lately.
Cough

Scavier have mentioned, in interviews and I believe the occasional RSC post, the possibility of allowing modding post-S3, but nothing was ever mention as fact, more a case of "if we think it'll help we'll consider it" kind of thing. Don't assume it WILL be in LFS, but also don't assume it won't be. It's up to them, and so far they've done a pretty good job of doing what is right for LFS.
Quote from zeugnimod :
I was just asking, because I havent read confirmation of the devs on this anywhere.

Sorry, Zeugnimod, I guess I was unclear. I was trying to express agreement with you: people who say that post-S3 there will be modding are guilty of wishful thinking to the point of being deceptive.

Quote :There are only several people here, who assume, that this will happen, and somehow now, everybody believes, that this is true.

Exactly.
Oh, ok.

Only havent heard of this "proverb" (if it is one) before.
No, sorry, it's not a proverb. More of a childhood memory really.
A test track would be cool to setup suspension, heavy banks, bumpy roads ( really bumpy ) cobblestones ( or how do you call that middle-age roads again? ) heavy banked corners, steep hils.. Like a test track for normal road cars before they get sold..

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG