The online racing simulator
Multi-Session Qualifying
(38 posts, started )
Multi-Session Qualifying
I'd like to do a race with multi-session qualifying like in this years Formula One series and would like to know if it will work in LFS as it's very hard to test this without getting a load of players online ready to roll.

For those not familiar with F1 this would meen all the cars going out and qualifying for a few minutes and then the session ending and everyone completing their laps (slightly different to F1 but LFS doesnt stop the clock), then a new session is started and only the top 12 (15 in F1) go out for the second session, then a third session where only the top 6 (10 in F1) go out.

Would LFS maintain everyone's grid position if they do not do any laps in the subsequent sessions?
The CRC has run these tests in the past. From what I have seen and heard, it all works well when drivers understant totally the proceedures as to the sessions.

Its possible to run manually obviously, but as for LFS doing it or some InSim/Outsim thingy, I havent got a clue.

I believe SimFIA was doing something like this sometime, but I may be misinformed.

Good Luck!
Thank you for the answer, most helpful
#4 - Gunn
It's been a bad idea in F1 but maybe it could work in LFS.
That would be great if people did that, waould make the poisitions fair, woth the bad drivers at the back and not driving in front. I think it has make F! more exciting the new qualifying so GUNN stfu lol.
#6 - RasKK
well, i like this qualy system ..
and a 1-lap qualification with max. of xx cars on track on same time would be also nice
#7 - Gunn
Quote from GWADanny :That would be great if people did that, waould make the poisitions fair, woth the bad drivers at the back and not driving in front. I think it has make F! more exciting the new qualifying so GUNN stfu lol.

Well it has failed to make the positions fair in F1 so far. All it provides is a hotlap shootout between ten drivers. That is purely to please spectators and the drivers and teams don't like it much. Or haven't you heard?
#8 - RasKK
by now i heard pretty man interviews from the drivers that they like the system, as it makes things kinda unpredictable.

i also think that satisfaction of the spectators (customers) is more important than satisfaction of drivers (no spectators, low money)
This isn't a good idea in f1 but i would like it in LFS.

*cough**cough*Monaco*cough**cough*
I love the new system, it's like the original qualifying system was before they screwed it up - except that now they've got next to no time to get out there and set the lap so we actually get some action, the problem is session 3... They had a good formula for the 1st two sessions, so why did they change it for the third?
#11 - Nobo
We are doing this F1 qualifying in the SimFIA:F1 series....but unfortunately the admin has to do this by hand...
but its great fun!
#12 - Gunn
Quote from RasKK :by now i heard pretty man interviews from the drivers that they like the system, as it makes things kinda unpredictable.

i also think that satisfaction of the spectators (customers) is more important than satisfaction of drivers (no spectators, low money)

It's sponsorship and TV that pay for F1, not spectators at the track. Catering to spectators is killing the sport. The FIA have painted themselves onto a corner by restricting certain engineering aspects of the cars. Now they struggle to mix up the field to provide more overtaking, however the cars are difficult to overtake due to the clever engineering required to make the cars perform despite the regs created to slow them down. So now we see slow cars in front of fast cars but the fast cars can not overtake. I'd rather see all of the faster cars battling each other than overtaking also-rans.

Under the current format we have seen faster drivers not even making it to the second (of three) sessions. How then are the qualifying results under this new system idicative of the actual pace of the individual cars? They aren't.
Another problem is that the supposed faster cars get up to two extra sessions in qualifying than the slower cars. This gives an advantage to the faster (and richer) teams.

In LFS we don't currently have fickle spectators so we probably don't need to worry about fixing qualifying so that fast guys miss out on the final sessions. If a multi-quali was introduced what would be the reason? If we say "because F1 uses it" then are we trying to cater to discontented spectators or improve our qualifying options for racing reasons? As Becky hasn't stated her reasons for this idea it's difficult to speculate where the benefits are.
Quote :unfortunately the admin has to do this by hand...

How do you mean please? I'm not familiar with any admin controls to adjust grids. Usually I just setup a server for league race practicing so i've only learned a few basic commands.
Quote from Gunn :Well it has failed to make the positions fair in F1 so far. All it provides is a hotlap shootout between ten drivers. That is purely to please spectators and the drivers and teams don't like it much. Or haven't you heard?

I didnt know the drivers and teams dont like the qualifying but i enjoy it, it makes things more exciting, lots of cars on at the same time trying to get decent laps in. The only bad thing is when the last 10 battle it out and they burn off their fule for bout 10 mins.
Quote :This gives an advantage to the faster (and richer) teams.

I rather think it's the other way around, other than grid position it's an advantage not to use the car because of the parc ferme regulations.

Quote :As Becky hasn't stated her reasons for this idea it's difficult to speculate where the benefits are.

True, I havn't ... yet.
Yeah i thinks its gay that they have restricted the engines to give the lower budget teams a chance. But the good teams are still battering them. The cars are faster than last year and they are restricted so that has done nothing
#17 - Gunn
Quote from Becky Rose :I rather think it's the other way around, other than grid position it's an advantage not to use the car because of the parc ferme regulations.

But the richer teams get more laps, more telemetry, and their drivers get more practice with their race sets. So in that way it is unfair. The new parc ferme regs do help poorer teams in relation to rich teams that can make many changes overnight, but the new quali doesn't give anything to the poorer teams.

Fast cars starting from behind (like in reverse grid races) is also something being reconsidered in some race series (including V8 Supercars) due to the amount of carnage and expense incurred with it. With a small field it works a treat, but in larger race fields it is chaos. Safety car heaven.

With the current F1 quali some very fast guys get a bad run behind a slow car or it starts raining in one of the quali sessions and teams already eliminated get no wet weather data. Screw the closet spectators, bring me back real qualifying with qualifying setups different to race sets. That was exciting.
Quote :bring me back real qualifying with qualifying setups different to race sets. That was exciting.

I watched old style qualifyig hours where 45 minutes went by before a car went out on track... Dull dull dull.
#19 - Gunn
Quote from Becky Rose :I watched old style qualifyig hours where 45 minutes went by before a car went out on track... Dull dull dull.

The thing is that most spectators don't even get to see qualifying. It usually isn't broadcast in the non-host country for a particular GP, or if it is you rarely get the whole session, just highlights and often in some ungodly hour of the night.

Remember too that the new qualifying rules in F1 are designed to work hand-in-hand with their other restrictions. To emulate this system in LFS you will need to force setups to be the same in qualifying and race, with fuel loads etc. These aspects tie-in with the qualifying format, as did the one set of tyres rule last season.

I'd love a proper race management tool that allows all of these qualifying and grid setup options, with accumulated season points calculated by the host so that the season could be continued each week or fortnight etc.
The one thing that is lacking in all online racing is the management of a proper racing season. Currently you need dedicated people to do the math and organise the sessions, keep track of the racers, incidents and results. This could all be done via software, making season and race management professional. What a boost for leagues this would be. I'm sure Becky would have what she needed then too.
I'd personally rather the old style qualifying be bought back, even if it has to be shortened a tad. It gave the poorer teams chance to go out on track early and give sponsors much needed TV airtime. They get none now!
Quote :It usually isn't broadcast in the non-host country for a particular GP

Qualifying has been broadcast in the UK for several years now, I dont know about other countries though - but many countries buy their footage from ITV so it's available too them, whereas it wasn't going back a few years.

Quote :I'd love a proper race management tool that allows all of these qualifying and grid setup options

Do you meen built into LFS? This would indeed be cool for a lot of leagues but I think most of the big leagues will always run their own software systems or 3rd party web based applications to give them the control and specific options that they would like to have included.
Quote from Becky Rose :How do you mean please? I'm not familiar with any admin controls to adjust grids. Usually I just setup a server for league race practicing so i've only learned a few basic commands.

With a pen and paper, and you "manually" remove them from the Grid.
#23 - Gunn
Quote from Becky Rose :Qualifying has been broadcast in the UK for several years now, I dont know about other countries though - but many countries buy their footage from ITV so it's available too them, whereas it wasn't going back a few years.

Do you meen built into LFS? This would indeed be cool for a lot of leagues but I think most of the big leagues will always run their own software systems or 3rd party web based applications to give them the control and specific options that they would like to have included.

Yes ITV gets purchased, but they don't show anything except for highlights and the race, then the podium and interviews in English. Instead we'll be stuck with re-runs of bloody NCIS or some other generic rubbish.

Yes, built in to LFS or into the dedi version I would like race and season management options. Or alternatively, a seperate application that gathered the info and processed it into a file that could be used to set up a race, throughout a season, and have the results collected and accumulated.
Quote :With a pen and paper, and you "manually" remove them from the Grid.

So you must force them to spectate and let them rejoin and then restart the race? Or you do this on the /end race screen? Please forgive my slowness, i'd just like to know exactly what to do so I dont have to experiment live.
Quote from Gunn :It's sponsorship and TV that pay for F1, not spectators at the track.

errrm, dude .. the people that watch f1 in front of the screen are definitly spectators, and if there wouldnt be any spectators at all, it wouldnt make sense for sponsored advertisement, and tv wouldnt also pay if noones gonna watch it ?!?

Multi-Session Qualifying
(38 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG