(18 posts, started )
#1 - gu3st
LFS on Steam Deck
Attached images
D577A9F3-562A-47A3-948E-E9D84B054096.jpeg
Is that all the deck got or do you have 70 fps lock? Tongue
#3 - gu3st
Quote from Kid222 :Is that all the deck got or do you have 70 fps lock? Tongue

60 FPS lock enabled for everything. I'm sure if I disabled that I'd hit the LFS default 100FPS lock.

60 lock is interesting because of how little power it consumes. Only 9W of power draw gives about 4-5 hours of play. There's also a way to set the display to 40hz which is another way to save even more power without overly affecting game smoothness (as 40hz is basically perfectly in the middle of 30 and 60 for frame timing).
Impressive. Every time I see posts about the Steam Deck, I want one more and more... This might just do it if the experience is good enough?
Why am I suddenly picturing Pete competing in Chrashmass on steam deck while commentating at the same time on his PC? 😂🤣
#6 - gu3st
Unlocked FPS with full AI I'm about 150-200 FPS at Westhill.

Not too bad for a handheld.
#7 - gu3st
Quote from mbutcher :Impressive. Every time I see posts about the Steam Deck, I want one more and more... This might just do it if the experience is good enough?

It's definitely a tale of 2 (or 3) devices. When it works (and it does work 95% of the time) it's fantastic. When it doesn't work it feels clumsy. For instance I spent the better part of 2-3 hours debugging why my games wouldn't launch before realizing that somehow one of the runtime parts got corrupt. Had to go and delete it and get Steam to redownload it and then everything worked well. With another game, for whatever reason, it got corrupted both times during download and it took me tons of troubleshooting to realize that I just needed to verify game data and then it worked.

On the bright side too it does run Windows really well with official (but unsupported by Valve) drivers. So for games that don't work in Linux because of Anti-cheat (iRacing in my case) you can always create a SD card with Windows on it and dual boot. This also gives a bit of reassurance that if the SteamOS experience isn't good enough or Valve abandons it that you're still in a state where it can just be a portable PC.

I'm glad I got my reservation when I got it becuase it's nice to have for the past week. Wish I just had more free time to actually play games with it rather than somewhat proof of concept all my usecases for it.
Are you running LFS on Windows or SteamOS?
Quote from gu3st :Wish I just had more free time to actually play games with it rather than somewhat proof of concept all my usecases for it.

This is the main reason I never bought a Switch. Thanks for the summary though, it is tempting.
Quote from Cutie pie :Are you running LFS on Windows or SteamOS?

SteamOS. Windows so far has just been for iRacing which also runs at 80-100 FPS at Catalyuna.
Hey gu3st, can you tell me how you installed LFS on the Deck? I want to do the same but I have no experience in installing things that aren't in the Steam store.
Thanks, it works!
Did you find a good controller setup? The ones I find on the community don't seem to work very well.
Quote from scippie :Thanks, it works!
Did you find a good controller setup? The ones I find on the community don't seem to work very well.

Honestly I played it mostly as a proof of concept. I don't ever play sims in non-VR in my proper setup.
Wait a second. Isn't there a snap of LFS already available?
Quote from Linoslav :Wait a second. Isn't there a snap of LFS already available?

You'd have to install snap. Deck ships with flatpak by default and installing Snap into SteamOS isn't trivial (and may get wiped out during an OS update if it requires writing to the rootfs
#17 - w126
Quote from w126 :This snap is outdated anyway.
https://snapcraft.io/liveforspeed

And snaps suck.

Throwing together a flatpak might be nice though. More portable across Linux distros (as most have rejected snap as a solution becuase it's more Canonical garbage).

LFS on Steam Deck
(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG