The online racing simulator
Crew Chief?
(22 posts, started )
Crew Chief?
Hi fellow racers,

As most of y'all know from different simulations and IRL races, racers have spotters etc. to help them out during their races, and this is only simulated in a handful of sims. Another handful use this nifty little open source program called Crew Chief. http://thecrewchief.org/

I managed to dig around the forums and find a program called LFSRelax that has limited spotter functionality, but it has a ton of problems.

- No support out of the box, you have to troubleshoot it on your own.
- It's made for an old version of LFS.
- Might be personal, but I keep getting InSim timeouts.

After watching an absolute crapton of iRacing, I was practically drooling over how they had a spotter, also knowing that I couldn't really use one to the extent of that game because my choices were super limited.

This is a shot in the dark, but...

Anyone else wanna see this program in LFS?
Is it even possible to make it fully functional?

I think LFS has the infrastructure for this, there are already so many InSim apps out there... We just need a few programming wizards...
I have asked the exact same thing on the LFS discord. Also I have a talk with the distributors of the CrewChief on their Discord and they told that it may be possible. I am putting the screenshot of what they said.
Attached images
crewchief.PNG
I hope they add it. I use Crew Chief in iRacing, and it is fantastic, especially in VR. They have support for a lot of sims, hopefully someone can add some LFS InSim/OutGauge support for it.
Yes, they said to me that it may be possible but it needs a bit of work and also they told they can't do it by implication. They said who plays LFS and want this can code the plugin. As I don't know anything about C# or any other coding languages, sadly I can't make it work.
I will try cloning their repository and play around with it and see if I can manage a basic integration with LFS. No guarantees though Big grin The project is huge and my C# knowledge is not advanced.
This looks like a fun and cool little program. I might have a go at it as well in case Flame is having some trouble with it.
I'll get in on that action. Fire me the repo link when you do, or add me to it please?
Wow, I did not think I can get fast replies while writing my reply on this thread. Thank you so much guys for your works. As I told before I don't know anything about coding. I can't help on this but, if any help needed other than that, I want to. Thanks again Smile.
I'm on their Discord server and he actually created that branch for me so I could have something sensible to start with.

My plan is to push changes to my fork as I go.
Oh my goodness.

This thread was literally sitting here for days on end, now quite a few people are actually trying to add LFS support for this app...

I'm just a random person with a few years of translation experience under my belt so I see y'all as wizards of the programming arts Tongue

Thank y'all so much, from deep down!
Quote from Bose321 :This looks like a fun and cool little program. I might have a go at it as well in case Flame is having some trouble with it.

I have got some basic things working - you can check it in the live-for-speed branch.

It is still a big work-in-progress, the code has logs and comments for debugging purposes, but there is already some logic for players/connections, session handling, lap times / split times. I haven't got to the spotter stuff yet.

If you want to, I can add you to the project so you can contribute too.
i Don't know if this went dead. But is there any way to get readings from Lazy to communicate with Crew chief for the spotter to work?? Just a thought. I know nothing about code btw so excuse my ignorance Big grin
hello, what about Crew chief for LFS ?
i expect a lot of this kind of app, i missed so much LAZy radar
I think this is a good idea, crew chief or something like it, built in. Too many people have no idea of what they are doing when they set up a car, and many do not know that they are slow through a particular corner, and just fixing their approach to this corner will get them a better time. IRL most drivers get no say in their setups, until they start to win some titles, but here a noob can do a dodgy setup on their car, and take a corner poorly with no idea of what they are doing wrong. Most new drivers get caught in a downward spiral of changing their setup, and not trialing it properly. They have a good day, and assume the boost came from the setup, thereby leaving them with a poor setup, that they believe in, that is not helping them. Then they have a bad day, and it's the setup that gets the blame. Out goes a potentially perfect setup, through no fault of it's own, and in comes another broken setup to try and compensate for an imaginary problem. This could help a lot.
My thoughts on, and experiance with, setups. I played V8Supercars for nearly a decade. We played in no setups mode exclusively. The primary reason for this was that unscrupulous people, AKA hackers, could modify their setup, with notepad, to give them a faster car than you could get doing it in the game. What we found after some time, was that we were faster in a stock car, than what people could do in a car with a setup. That was, we worked out later, because we were just driving, and not wasting time changing our setups all the time. People would accuse us of cheating, and some were, but the core members were not. They said "How can your times be faster than the times we can get with our setups on?" It came down to this. We just drove the car, and learned the tracks, ALL THE TIME. We wasted none of our life working out setups. Then we read a candid comment from codemasters, that said the cars all ship with the best setup that THEY can make, and any changes you make to the setup will probably just slow you down. And it did, people would demand a setup on race, and they would throw away two to three seconds a lap by choosing their setup. Some tracks I could grab a second with a setup, because the stock one was a "one size fits all tracks" thing, so an asymetrical setup would improve American circuit racers for instance, and a ripple rider setup for a track with ripples that you want to straightline could help, but mostly we won with standard setups, time and time again. My point is that a "setups off" setting here may also help newer drivers to just drive a lot, and not change things that they have no idea about.
Quote from Tomfuel :hello, what about Crew chief for LFS ?
i expect a lot of this kind of app, i missed so much LAZy radar

A couple of posts up, there's a link to a source code of a work in progress version. It's not fully useable but if someone feels like finishing it, they can.
No further news on this?
Quote from WARDOGZ :No further news on this?

I would also like to know, this is a very important tool and would be of great help

Crew Chief?
(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG