The online racing simulator
GT2 Challenge 2021: Round 2 - Race Discussion
Hello racers!

Welcome to the second round 2021 GT2 Challenge! Rockingham, so far the only S3 environment. SC risk high here, with the high sausage kerbs. Attrition, perseverance.

See you at the track!
#2 - CSF
Quote from MicroSpecV :Race, Main Server
Lap 56,
Car(s) involved : 16 A.Brown, 88 S.Lee
Location of Incident : Turn 2 end of oval / MPR 1:34:00.24
Brief Description of Incident : (Moving under braking ,Car 16)
Car 88 sends a totally legitimate controlled divebomb of which had been made over 3-4 times in the length of the race (climbing from P38th and last) with no issue. Car 16 moves in reaction to attacking car, slowly fainting across the track and past the center-line, until the T2 line was amazingly shallow for himself not just Car 88. Due to the track sweep movement of 16, Car 88 lost straight braking and clear track, and had to go shallower and steer earlier - thus reducing braking action, resulting in the collision. Note position of Car 16 relative to other cars ahead and behind, and compare corner entry lines.

Explanatory video in case you've think I've gone beserk
I'm at my max braking capacity on every move I make down into T2, and am fully committed. If 16 drives me shallow like that after I've made my initial move, I cannot avoid the subsequent collision.

If this results in a penalty I'll sure as hell appeal, because I've done these braking point defensive blocking moves before and been penalised for those countless times prior. (not that coming from last to 8th meant anything either :/ ) I got coped for that in TBOC, and so did Niko at TBOC too at the Kyoto round - his was equally as faint of a "moving under braking" and running shallow, as this instance by Car 16

Side note : Sorry Adam, if the stewards deem this my fault then I am sorry. Said in the server already, but after checking mpr yeah. You did move and cut me off so shallow I was on the kerb on entry. Been braking at 80-75m for the entire race, was able to pull the car up on previous moves just fine. But I guess if I get the penalty then squeezing a car in the braking zone is... different from moving under braking?Rules need definition then.

Lap 56, MPR 1:34:00.24
Car(s) involved : 16 A.Brown, 88 S.Lee
Location of Incident : Turn 2 end of oval

I've re-watch and rethought about this, typing this part 2 after 2 hours of sleep, guess its better than blabbering at 5am, here's my next-day thoughts

I'd have to say it is partially my fault as well, dives and late braking stuff come with lots of risk so I hold a lot of responsibility there. The axle lockup right at the crucial turn in point probably did not help my case for sure. But then again, I had been doing such moves since lap 1, charging from the back. Think I did the same kind of move on a couple of guys like Homela, Jarod, Spiky, and each time I pulled the car up fine and made the corner with no contact.

Perhaps my car's braking ability this race empowered me to make those moves, however in context and balance, I doubt the faint move in the braking zone by Adam was necessary. I was coming in whether he liked it or not, and pinching me tight on the apex was just detrimental either way at that point... plus, if you take me out of the equation and play the clip and imagine his car's position on the T2 double apex, he'd basically have to steer away from the 2nd apex - that was how shallow he ran himself.

I get that late braking maneuvers aren't really liked, and the responsibility falls heavily on the attacker, but I keep rewatching the video and see myself arriving controlled unlike with Piropo's block & contact situation. (I didn't make the move with intent to barge either, not like I wanted to punt Adam lol.) Then I continue and put myself in Adam's spot, and think how on earth the reactive block and shallow apex would be beneficial in that scenario. Yeah..

I'm sorry for the move I guess, if we go by the book that everything falls on the attacking driver, but surely if so, there has to be a clearer rule between aggressive movement under braking, faint reactive movement under braking and closing off the apex of an attacker knowingly to cause contact. Because if not then I could have ran away from most of my penalties in TBOC (e.g Joni, me. Kyoto infield double left where I got cut off and spun the both of us)
Quote from k_badam :Session : Race; Server: Main
Lap AND MPR timecode of incident: 1:34:05 Lap 56
Car(s) involved: 16, 88
Location of Incident: Entry of T2, end of oval
Brief Description of Incident:
Not much to say about this, Shawn Lee attempted a dive from 4~ car lengths behind and collided with the left rear of my car, sending me back multiple positions. I took a normal racing line, broke at my normal, relatively late spot and he rammed right into the side of me. It's almost as if he aimed for me, Shawn seemed to brake at the correct point but pointed his car right into the side of mine. He wasn't alongside at the turn in point, he was miles behind me meaning he had no entitlement to the corner. In my opinion it wasn't an overtaking attempt, it was a ram, something straight out of a police training DVD.

In his protest on me, Shawn seems to be forgetting the natural line of the corner, he claims I moved across on him and blocked him, but on most of my laps I take an incredibly similar line. It is a corner where multiple lines are totally valid both tighter and wider, in comparing my line to cars in front Shawn is trying to find an excuse where there simply isn't one, and he knows it.

In my view a dive from 4 car lengths back is a pitiful attempt at an overtake, you can't expect someone to just hand a place over because you've launched your car at them. Shawn knew that his move was going to be dangerous, he's been pulled up multiple times in the past for similar moves, and yet he continues to make them. The fact that he hasn't learned that these moves are unacceptable baffles me.

Ye hi i moved it here, less formal lol

I dont think i turned right and pointed into you, more to the issue that you came down so early on that I had to keep going shallower at the end to not collect you - yes it waw a dive, but I did a handful of them in the past 55 laps and always, always pulled up in time and if I recall, on two instances even was able to go side by side into t3 with the driver I was fighting against. That's why I was kinda miffed that the contact happened, because I was darn sure I got it stopped more than good enough, but had to brake harder at the end and turn in and mount the kerb as you chose to clip the first apex as if i was not going to be there. Yes, you broke late, but that was not late to me. I was braking close to 80 the entire race and closer to 70 on previous dives and made the apex just fine with no sliding or lockups.

The normal racing line is a mid to late apex clipling the eric kerb, the 2nd one. Your line basically meant if you continued with it, you'd be going straight, then making a second turn movement to meet eric kerb. Certainly thats not normal line..
Quote from MicroSpecV :....The normal racing line is a mid to late apex clipling the eric kerb, the 2nd one. Your line basically meant if you continued with it, you'd be going straight, then making a second turn movement to meet eric kerb. Certainly thats not normal line..

This whole argument is null to me, my line was tighter than most, yes, but I set many a lap that race taking similar lines in SC1, tight on both curbs. In my opinion I would have easily made the corner, but because of you, I guess we shall never know that. Whether I made the corner or not makes no impact on the distance you were behind me, and the lack of any overlap on turn in that is needed to make a fair overtake. Whether my line was tight or not, you still would have rammed into me making a move like that.

Quote from MicroSpecV :I was coming in whether he liked it or not

This is the type of language that makes me think that you care very little if you ram into anyone. An overtake isn't something you are entitled to, you have to earn it. Lunging one up the inside carelessly isn't earning it. Getting a large enough overlap before you turn into the corner is.

Quote from MicroSpecV :Then I continue and put myself in Adam's spot, and think how on earth the reactive block and shallow apex would be beneficial in that scenario.

I had assumed that a car miles back wasn't going to be making a move. Saying my perfectly legit line is reactive, is horseshit of the highest order.

Your whole argument is based purely on the untruth that is that my line was reactive and abnormal. I can't argue against something as absurd as this, and you wouldn't accept my opinion on it anyway. I'll wait for a response from the stewards, and I doubt it'll be in your favour.
Lap 16, MPR 26:55.00
Car(s) involved : 18 K.Piropo, 88 S.Lee
Location of Incident : Turn 2 end of oval
Brief Description of Incident : (Aggressive moving under braking ,Car 18)

Self explanatory

It's a divebomb, no?
Lee, I’m sorry but both your moves are huge dives, you brought that on yourself sadly with a very very bold move with barely any overlap.

Ps: the one against brown you’re coming into the corner locked up too!
Quote from kart-36 :Lee, I’m sorry but both your moves are huge dives, you brought that on yourself sadly with a very very bold move with barely any overlap.

Ps: the one against brown you’re coming into the corner locked up too!

I guess yeah, but I'm locked up 3/4 in only because I realise he's going shallow and moving across where my car should (or would) have been at. Sure, I could have not locked up and broke straighter but I would have clobbered him earlier then.

Similad with Piropo, isn't the prohibition of "moving under braking" what a overtaking driver needs to trust and to believe in for him to make a passing maneuver? Divebomb or not, the attacker shouldn't need to worry about a car suddenly squeezing or cutting across the track.

The importanr bit is, basically, if I'm aren't allowed to move under braking (and I was copped for it heavily), then shouldn't I be safe in the knowledge that others wouldn't as well, and that my controlled dives wouldn't be met with movement in the braking zone? Doesn't this one rule then indirectly dictate and enable me to dive, be it safely and controlled, without the need for avoiding action? This is the issue I want to see attended to.

Phrasing this isn't the best, I can't find more describing words lol

In essense, I would have made the corner and be able to hug the apex and still not run into him if I wasn't door shut as if I could have just disappeared. I wasn't locking the fronts or overspeeding, and made the beginning of the corner at basically the same speed as Adam, and at the same steering angle. Only difference and I guess fighting point (from a neutral steward pov) is that I was on the slide pretty badly right at the point of apex...

Which of course I defend with the fact that I had to continue hard braking all the way till contact (when I should have been letting off and feathering at the change to 2nd gear to prevent axle tramp/rear lock) because I wasn't left any room by the apex point, and in the braking zone he was tightening from his slow early move across the track.

It's not a barge pass as I didn't intend to go for a gap and use the car ahead as a chalk block, and it wasn't an out of control move as I wasn't entering too hot, or unable to stop. And at the point of no return where I had only >1 car width to the apex before contact, I was slowed sufficiently and was past the rear axle and at the B pillar - resultant of my controlled dive.
#12 - CSF
Quote from MicroSpecV :

In essense, I would have made the corner and be able to hug the apex and still not run into him if I wasn't door shut as if I could have just disappeared. I wasn't locking the fronts or overspeeding, and made the beginning of the corner at basically the same speed as Adam, and at the same steering angle. Only difference and I guess fighting point (from a neutral steward pov) is that I was on the slide pretty badly right at the point of apex...

Which of course I defend with the fact that I had to continue hard braking all the way till contact (when I should have been letting off and feathering at the change to 2nd gear to prevent axle tramp/rear lock) because I wasn't left any room by the apex point, and in the braking zone he was tightening from his slow early move across the track.

It's not a barge pass as I didn't intend to go for a gap and use the car ahead as a chalk block, and it wasn't an out of control move as I wasn't entering too hot, or unable to stop. And at the point of no return where I had only >1 car width to the apex before contact, I was slowed sufficiently and was past the rear axle and at the B pillar - resultant of my controlled dive.

I don't know why you are making this worse for yourself.
Quote from CSF :I don't know why you are making this worse for yourself.

Eh, actually, I don't know either. I think I typed that during work lunch when I was pissed about my own work lol

Probably its just me still finding out the difference between "way too aggressive" and "aggressive enough". To me if my own manoeuvre was controlled enough to me its a natural thing for me to defend my stance on something (being #asian and ridiculously stubborn in everything doesn't help) and I guess the dive I did being controlled enough was probably my focal point in the offence.

But yeah. It means a lot to change a particular style - I think I solved my defence shenanigans that I was told off for, but now I'll have to fix the way I attack I guess.
I'll refrain from commenting, don't think it's helping the situation. Still maintain it's not fully my fault but I should stop sending dives since people seem to sacrifice themselves to done-deal passes lol
Every time you are sending those dives, you are in the hands of your opponent to see you/give you space to avoid the accident.

There's a time and a place for it, and knowing you could do a move like that is always something that will affect the person you are trying to overtake, even if you don't do it.

But the amount of times you see that as being worth it is too high. If you are faster, you should be able to create a safer opportunity than that.
#15 - CSF
Quote from MicroSpecV :Eh, actually, I don't know either. I think I typed that during work lunch when I was pissed about my own work lol

Probably its just me still finding out the difference between "way too aggressive" and "aggressive enough". To me if my own manoeuvre was controlled enough to me its a natural thing for me to defend my stance on something (being #asian and ridiculously stubborn in everything doesn't help) and I guess the dive I did being controlled enough was probably my focal point in the offence.

But yeah. It means a lot to change a particular style - I think I solved my defence shenanigans that I was told off for, but now I'll have to fix the way I attack I guess.
I'll refrain from commenting, don't think it's helping the situation. Still maintain it's not fully my fault but I should stop sending dives since people seem to sacrifice themselves to done-deal passes lol

I think you are overthinking this, as I said on Discord a few months ago. There's nothing wrong with trying a move, there's nothing wrong with it going wrong (if you know what I mean!) but you don't need to spend hours over analysing it after. It's done, and the lord jesus christ almighty (English JP) and god himself (Yankee JP) shall decide upon thy fate of yourself and the one that takes my name in vain. Amen.

Quote from IsaacPrice :Every time you are sending those dives, you are in the hands of your opponent to see you/give you space to avoid the accident.

There's a time and a place for it, and knowing you could do a move like that is always something that will affect the person you are trying to overtake, even if you don't do it.

But the amount of times you see that as being worth it is too high. If you are faster, you should be able to create a safer opportunity than that.

Amen.
Finally a drama I can fully enjoy, as I am not the victim this time.
im getting some 2009 memories of niki vs NDR. Pulling off similar/worse moves and blaming everyone else except himself. Poor joe and isaac got the worst of it too.

GT2 Challenge 2021: Round 2 - Race Discussion
(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG