The online racing simulator
July Progress Report
(216 posts, closed, started , go to first unread)
prepare your eyes for this saturday

Clearly time is not an object or substance we can touch or see. But neither is it merely a dimension, quantity or a concept. Indeed, time has many aspects and appears to represent different things to different people in different circumstances.
Big grin
Quote from bmwe30m3 :2008 has been one long year.

Hard to believe that the Scirroco sits right between Team Fortress 2 and Duke Nukem Forever now in terms of development time. Frown

I still remember the excitement as if it was yesterday.
@scawen

next gen immersive sound.
Matt darey agrees with me Dolby Atmos for gaming would be highly immersive.

he has now made it possible to listen to a sample even if you do not have Dolby Atmos .

check it out here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=795tqoJJLNg

he is exploring more things regarding sound.
so more to come.
keep an eye out on this as this type of sound would be very very cool to have in a game/SIM like LFS.

EDIT:
i am thinking this sound immersion could be used for ambient sounds around tracks to make the whole LFS experience alot more immersive. could be used for engines and so forth aswell. but i think the sorround sound would be perfect for having forexample city ambient sounds in south city, and it would perhaps be possible to have crowds shouting while passing spectator stands and a beach sound while driving by the beach in fernbay etc... i think its worth to consider atleast. hope you will check it out. wiz
Quote from THE WIZARD DK :@scawen

next gen immersive sound.
Matt darey agrees with me Dolby Atmos for gaming would be highly immersive.

he has now made it possible to listen to a sample even if you do not have Dolby Atmos .

check it out here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=795tqoJJLNg

he is exploring more things regarding sound.
so more to come.
keep an eye out on this as this type of sound would be very very cool to have in a game/SIM like LFS.

EDIT:
i am thinking this sound immersion could be used for ambient sounds around tracks to make the whole LFS experience alot more immersive. could be used for engines and so forth aswell. but i think the sorround sound would be perfect for having forexample city ambient sounds in south city, and it would perhaps be possible to have crowds shouting while passing spectator stands and a beach sound while driving by the beach in fernbay etc... i think its worth to consider atleast. hope you will check it out. wiz

Perhaps he will accept your ideas and they will be used along with the Scirocco release.
Honestly something like Dolby Atmos doesn't make sense if you're building a game. With headphones you can already perfectly emulate surround sound with sounds that are emitted from the location they are in the 3d world, with the appropriate simulation of the doppler(?) effect this should produce realistic audio. Most game engines (and I think LFS does) support audio emissions as part of the game world. You can go further and add the game world to interact with the audio (creating echos in tunnels, etc).

Valve has an interesting offering for 3d space audio as well in Steam Audio: https://valvesoftware.github.io/steam-audio/ which also allows for the kind of world space audio simulation that could be interesting

If you have speakers, something like 4.1 should be able to also replicate that audio (but not as good as headphones).

For films it's relevant because you want to simulate positional sounds that are added in post-processing, so you need to be able to simulate a 3 dimensional space around the camera.
if LFS devs was interested in valve.. why is LFS then not on valve/steam ?
if you read what i wrote again. what Matt darey is exploring is infact the possibllity to use atmos for more systems. and several sorround systems. with the use of one sound system. i dont think valve can do that as good as you say. you also only adress 4.1 sound and headphones. im talking about atleast 5.1 up to 9.2 or more spanding over several possible sorround systems people may have at home. giving more option for immersive sounds for more people without they have to spend a ton of money on buying new systems.actually 4.1 sound is quadrophonic sound with a woofer. not sorround! and it makes perfect sense to use for games. Matt Darey is one of the leading people in these types of sounds. im pretty sure he knows what it is about and as he also say it would be very very useful for gaming. i rather believe a sound Proffesional than what you say tbh. he is not done with exploring possibillities. hence i wrote keep an eye out for more to come. i have followed him for more than 2 decades and have seen what he can do with only stereo sound . he certainly knows what hes doing. so there.
Quote from THE WIZARD DK :if LFS devs was interested in valve.. why is LFS then not on valve/steam ?
if you read what i wrote

You should read what is being written on this forum.

The Steam(/Valve) thing is discussed numerous times already. Besides, game companies tend to move away from these platforms and create their own shop/launcher. Recent example, Rockstar. Why make the middle man rich while its not needed. LFS only needs a good paying provider.

edit: Hmm.. Skrill supports also bitcoin nowadays. Interesting. So there actually is not really a problem. Other then that you need to create an account which is an annoying process. True.
Additionally, Steam Audio is just a C++ library. It has nothing to do with Steam as a distribution platform outside of the name.

Adding additional speakers is unneeded to simulate great surround audio. You only have 2 ears after all.

Game engines can properly simulate sound in a 3D environment, it doesn't need superfluous technologies.
I knew it! It looks very good. ^^
Quote from Flotch :prepare your eyes for this saturday

Either you have an informant on the inside, or that was just spooky. Smile
speculations for the end of the month Tongue
This thread is closed

July Progress Report
(216 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG