The online racing simulator
Reverse Grids: Fun or Foolish?
(45 posts, started )
reverse startgrid + more than 10min race = great fun!

at least for me... I'm a pretty fast driver and I like to wait for that nice occasion to pass. Online hotlapping from pole position is no fun...
-
(Schooner) DELETED by Schooner
#27 - axus
Depends on driver quality - if all are relatively fast and experienced racers, then it can be a lot of fun. I think partially reversed grids would be better though (would be nice to have as an automatic option in LFS too) - reverse the front 6 (or however-many) cars and leave the rest be or reverse the front 6 then the next 6 and then the next 6 and so on.
I cant be safe and fast at the same time.

It gets frustrating for me, because when I drive safely, i always lose. But, when I drive a little faster, then I end up accidentally getting hit or hitting.
Drivers at the front of the pack can help reduce T1 incidents with a little bit of wisdom and experience, taking predictable lines and coming off the throttle before applying the brake and doing so gently enough to be predictable.

Drivers at the back of the pack can help reduce T1 accidents by not trying to late brake every car in sight and worrying more about the cars beside them then the cars one or two rows infront.

If both ends of the grid know how to start a race safely for that end of the grid then all would be fine.

However, in LFS almost no-one knows how to start at either end.

This is fine, it's part of the way LFS is and I accept it - but what annoys me is so called experienced drivers blaming T1 accidents on another "category" of drivers when they themselves could be doing so much more to avoid T1 accidents if only they had a ******* clue.

I have had the odd T1 mess up, and indeed even caused a few, but I do seem to have a lot less T1 accidents than most, guessing by how annoying most of you find it and how many places I frequently pick up from spun cars. I often make good starts too, quick off the line, hold my place through T1, rarely get taken out... I'm pre-emptable, and thats quite deliberate.

I dont mind what end of the grid I start at.
it just shows that fast driver is not the same as good driver
Quote from Schooner :I like the reverse of every track more than the forward version. Especially BL and Aston. They just seem like better tracks to me, in reverse.

Always best to read the title of the thread and at least one post before replying
I was racing there last night and thought the standard was pretty good, but I was never caught mid pack on lap 1 where the trouble seemed to be 8)

Rev grids can work, like in the Mini League 8) , but you need a bit more give and take than normal which in public servers tends to be lacking.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
For leagues and longer races I enjoy them, but for public races, where you inevitably have a few newbies, it's just too dangerous. They can't cope with the pressure, and the late late late T1 braking still occurs (even from experienced people desperate to avoid being last for too long).
indeed, too many people get put to the front of the grid who aren't capable of racing cleanly. Mainly its the lack awareness around them which causes accidents. I was racing on fe green in the fox few hours ago, after a few restarts you were randomly placed in the field and i started 12 out of 20 racers i think i t was. Start was suprisingly clean but when every one reached the chicane there were 3 lines of cars heading into it, i i was on the outside but as u turn in some fool will just take the chicane like he would with a clear track leaving me and some other guy with no where to go but either hit him or smack the tire walls. This really annoys me, the lack of thought when people race, i always try and leave room for other cars to turn in so we both fit and get through. I dont particulary lke reverse grids but i dont have anything against them, i am a fan of the qualifying system but hardly any one bothers with it.

edit: omg!!! 666th post... the 3 sixes.. remember seeing that somewhere.. ahh the omen! evil!!!!

mad
I think I'm with the majority on this one....fun on more open tracks and/or longer races where it's not such a sprint race. Not so great on 3 lappers on short tracks where the "do or die" mentality takes hold.
I love reverse grids, but I don't think they are good if it's a very short race. so long as it's over 10-15 minutes I think it's probably fine.
Quote from Madman_CZ :...i am a fan of the qualifying system but hardly any one bothers with it.

It's not worth bothering with qualifying for the public 5 lappers. I rarely see anything more than 5 laps publicly. Even longer public racing, IMO it's not worth the hassle. I only like qualifying for leagues.

Quote :edit: omg!!! 666th post... the 3 sixes.. remember seeing that somewhere.. ahh the omen! evil!!!!

Looks like you made it through ok.
Quote from Vain :
So I like partially reversed grids most. Reverse the first 8 and you're set up for a great race.

+1
It would be a nice server option if you could say reverse the top X racers. Would be handy in certain leagues and championships too.
Quote from sinbad :+1
It would be a nice server option if you could say reverse the top X racers. Would be handy in certain leagues and championships too.

it would be better to reverse the top XX%

that way it would scale with the amount of people on the server
Or even better, be able to set the number aswell as set a percentage.
I really like that idea of reversing the top xx% or the top x drivers. It would have the benefits of reversed grid while pretty much eiliminating the downsides. +1
One thing I don't like about reversed grids is that there's no incentive to qualify well. There's nothing to stop otherwise fast players who could qualify well if they wanted to from sandbagging and intentionally driving slow laps just to get to the front of the grid.
Reverse starts are great if the hot shoes in the back are willing to stay at the back for 1/2 a lap. It gives us mid-packers a fighting chance. I'm no "pro", but I can hold usually hold off faster drivers a least for a little while (which is fun) and the noobs at the start either brake super early inbto T1, letting me by, or brake super late and slide off the track and out of the way. Those noobs who do make it through usually give plenty of opportunity for a pass if you are patient.

It is annoying though, when drivers don't give room for cornering side by side. too many races are spoiled by somebody not paying attention to the other cars. And it isn't just noobs. I've seen plenty of so called 'pros' do it.
the only times this is bad.. is when the race is to short for the fast guys to even get up to the front, or what really messes it up, is when you have a fast person join before it restarts and then you have a fast guy up front

but the best thing about this is though is you have all the "bad" ..persay.. racers in the front that are more liable to crash in T1 so that kinda saves all the fast guys from .. going through hell

this is deffinetly a more endurance\slower car\wider track option imo; when this option is on say with BF1 at SO Classic.. it doesnt matter how fast you are, theres really only one place to pass there and thats not enough when you have 20 or so people on going only 10 laps
I prefer reversed grids, in most cars if i win i would spectate until the race restarts then join so i was at the back. I just enjoy overtaking and actually racing people rather than hotlapping on my own for the entire race.

Without the reverse grids its usually the same old people winning. I have replays from aston club in the xfr of me taking a grid of 20 cars in the first lap from the back, so with a bit of luck and bravery you can still hit the front.

Reverse Grids: Fun or Foolish?
(45 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG