The online racing simulator
Change PPD for VR in LFS
(12 posts, started )
Change PPD for VR in LFS
How do we set PPD in LFS, I looked for the setting, but can not find it.
Do you mean IPD? The distance between the pupils?

That comes from the driver software. You can see the result of it on the right in Options - View.

With some headsets you can change the IPD live and you should see that LFS notices the change and displays that with a message.
#3 - AndyG
He means PPD, Pixels Per Display, otherwise known as super sampling. LFS doesn't support changing this natively, so you have to do it with something like Oculus Tray Tool (if you use a Rift of course).
Today I did some research and did a test with a live slider to adjust the super sampling.

It creates a newly sized render target as the slider moves, so I can adjust it in real time. I can see a reduction in shimmering and an increase in sharpness. I think it should be in the next public release but I don't know at this point when that will be.
#5 - AndyG
That's excellent news, thanks. The shimmering is certainly an issue in the current build. I minimised it by setting SS/PPD in the Oculus Tray Tool to 2.0 (which works, because LFS is so relatively light on CPU/GPU), and forcing MSAA to 8x in the NVIDIA driver settings. It's still not quite as good as the likes of iRacing and Project CARS 2 though. Just out of interest, why does the "full screen anti-aliasing" (is this MSAA?) LFS graphics option disappear in VR mode? It's there for the mirrors, but not for the main display - I wondered if it was just a bug maybe?
Quote from AndyG :Just out of interest, why does the "full screen anti-aliasing" (is this MSAA?) LFS graphics option disappear in VR mode? It's there for the mirrors, but not for the main display - I wondered if it was just a bug maybe?

It's mandatory to be enabled in VR, so it is removed, instead of graying out.
Quote from Scawen :Today I did some research and did a test with a live slider to adjust the super sampling.

It creates a newly sized render target as the slider moves, so I can adjust it in real time. I can see a reduction in shimmering and an increase in sharpness. I think it should be in the next public release but I don't know at this point when that will be.

excellent news cannot wait as it saves time having to run the oculus debug tool and having that set to launch lfs
Quote from AndyG :Just out of interest, why does the "full screen anti-aliasing" (is this MSAA?) LFS graphics option disappear in VR mode? It's there for the mirrors, but not for the main display - I wondered if it was just a bug maybe?

It's full-scene, not full screen (as it works in a window too). But yes, it is multisampling. I think maybe the term is not used much these days, possibly because people might think it refers to supersampling AA, though you can see it described here in the Microsoft documentation for DX9.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/direct3d9/full-scene-antialiasing

I removed the option and used a fixed value of 4x in VR. It is so important in VR, it should never be switched off. Also it should not be set too high. Too many people just go through and put every setting to the max (and 16x can severely reduce frame rate in some cases) but in the case of VR, performance was the most important thing, so it seemed best to just leave it on the setting that produces the best performance. I think maybe when developing for the Vive there was also a flickering problem when MSAA was disabled, because it didn't have the extra screen copy, so that was another reason to remove the option.
#9 - AndyG
Thanks. I'd love the option of 8x, my PC could handle it easily (I appreciate a few years ago this wouldn't have been the case!).
Superb, thank you. I will test this as soon as I can, hopefully later tonight.

Can I push my luck slightly and ask for your input on the thread below please? If you can sort that, together with the AA/SS additions, LFS will be VR class leading in my opinion (because of the way you've implemented proper 3D mirrors primarily).

https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/93165-Severe-Lack-of-Smoothness-in-VR
Quote from AndyG :... LFS will be VR class leading in my opinion (because of the way you've implemented proper 3D mirrors primarily).

A bit off topic, but one other thing you're missing perhaps is a sharpening facility, which can help a lot with current generation (low resolution!) VR HMDs. In Project CARS 2 we implemented the SweetFX Luma Sharpen filter, which is available under the MIT license.

Change PPD for VR in LFS
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG