The online racing simulator
A Complaint About LFS
(7 posts, started )
A Complaint About LFS
Hi. I don't really play video games much anymore. Sorry. Got old. Every now and then I'll get on a binge and play LFS and that and solitare is about the only games I'll still play. Well over the years, I've turned on quite a few people to this game. All the complaints I got were the same: It's too hard.
LOL It would suck if it was easy, but that's the standard complaint. Nothing about the graphics or the cars or the tracks. Just that it was too hard I'm not sure, but I think that's the only complaint I've gotten.
Well Every now and then my son tests some racing game and he lets me play with it if he has all the 3d stuff.
Some oculus goggles with these sensors mounted on the ceiling. And of course the Gtwentysomething wheel. Really cool stuff. None of these games I have fooled with has anywhere near the feel of LFS. They're not bad, in fact I kinda like Project Cars cause of all the cars, but its just not up to what I'm used to with LFS. So I'm wondering. Is this complaint all these people have the main reason we don't see other racing titles as hardcore as LFS? I dunno. I would think that there would be a bigger demand for these games to have the same attention to physics modeling LFS has than what there is.
#2 - Racon
They all have users that claim their physics is as good and/or better than LFS. I don't know first hand, and everything I hear second hand is contrary. (Special note for iRacing: the sunken cost fallacy is no small thing).

I don't know how much you can really say from the authority of watching videos, I can't put my finger on what is 'wrong', and I admit to my own bias, but, LFS is the only one where the way the cars interact with the road doesn't look somehow 'off' to me, as the others do to varying degrees, here and there. Most are mild but enough to make me think I'm not missing out on much, but also I have literally burst out laughing as I reach for the next button whilst watching some recoveries from losing the rear/etc.

What I want, ideally, is for someone to capture the stig, strap him into a chair for a couple of hours of multiple car types on each sim, and then get his ratings on tyre physics.
Quote from Racon :What I want, ideally, is for someone to capture the stig, strap him into a chair for a couple of hours of multiple car types on each sim, and then get his ratings on tyre physics.

See, this is the real answer to our problems.

Anyways I could agree that LFS is the best generally. I've tried a few others, and LFS is the best. The others just don't seem to treat the car on the road the same as LFS.
Quote from TechEdison :See, this is the real answer to our problems.

Anyways I could agree that LFS is the best generally. I've tried a few others, and LFS is the best. The others just don't seem to treat the car on the road the same as LFS.

Yeah. But .... is there a reason for that? Or what is the reason for that? Is it because the coders of those games lack the ability to code that in? Is it a time/money issue? Or is it deliberate as part of a way of keeping the difficulty down?... All those people that I posted about trying LFS? Know how many actually bought LFS because of it? Zero. But to be fair, most weren't into racing games to begin with. But I'm wondering if this lack of feel that the other games seem to have is part of a dumbing down strategy to increase sales?
Quote from Racon :What I want, ideally, is for someone to capture the stig, strap him into a chair for a couple of hours of multiple car types on each sim, and then get his ratings on tyre physics.

this. they could do a whole episode on this. spots throughout a season. it would be mean.

[ontopic] LFS "feels" good, but if what they were saying about the differences in that German car's sim to reality comparison were anything to go by, it might be about to get even harder on average.
I think some people burn much more fuel than others trying to understand basic physics. For some of us it's much more intuitive. I've been totally unable to get a single friend interested, they just don't enjoy the learning curve. You gotta really care about cars and motorsports to get involved I think.
My reason for playing was I bought a '97 MKIII GTI back in 2005 and I saw what looked like a GTI in an image for LFS and immediately downloaded it and fell in love, couldn't believe how realistic it was. My only complaint was that the GTI has no VR6 Big grin
Yeah. The learning curve. That must be it.

"You gotta really care about cars and motorsports to get involved I think."

That's something else I've noticed with younger people. At least the ones in my area. That is a huge lack of gear heads. You see a nice car or bike, chances are the person driving is over 40. "Tuner cars" are mostly used cars in a really bad state, usually driven by someone that just needed a car. Even low riders and pick-ups are dwindling. So I can see lack of interest being a problem for car game sales, but that's an across the board thing. No. what I'm scratching my head about is the direction that the other makers are going with their games. Make it simple and look pretty. You'd think if it is a small and shrinking market, more game makers would go for people more inclined to actually play the game instead of just re-gift it come next Christmas.

A Complaint About LFS
(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG