The online racing simulator
Digressive dampers
(6 posts, started )
Digressive dampers
I'm fairly certain the dampers in LFS are linear. If not, shame on me. If so, they should be digressive... And I understand the tyre physics have been "in progress" for almost a decade.. I also realize how important good dampers are to appreciating a good set of tyres.. and it would amplify the possibilities of dialed-in cars and competitive setups.. as well as fast street setups, stiff, comfortable setups good for cruising, which is a large portion of the current persistent userbase.. What do you think?

Edit: spelling
After reading about dampers and studying damper dyno sheets, and years of playing LFS, I realize where the XRT (and others) has/have let me down. The dampers are too soft to dampen driver inputs, or too stiff to absorb bumps. A well-tuned damper curve gives good damping at low shaft velocities, typically caused by driver inputs or gradual inclination changes. The curve tapers to a much shallower increase of n/s/mm, usually around 10 to 30 mm/s, giving stiffness equivalent to a much lower setting on a linear damper during for high shaft velocites, which are seen when running over curbs, abrupt surface inperfections, etc.

Offroaders are familiar with them as bypass dampers (in extreme applications, multi-bypass;position-dependent, staged circuits). They are common in mountain bike dampers, seen with dual compression adjustments. This is not a gimmick; I have a Manitou Mattoc fork with an adjustable bypass on top of the compression knob. To say the difference over the Rockshox forks I've had before is night-and-day would be an understatement.

Scawen? Are LFS dampers linear?

Do I need to buy LFS again with a less abrasive name for anyone to take me seriously?
-
(mosquitohater93) DELETED by mosquitohater93 : Double post
I appreciate your support bro..
Why not. As long as it doesn't bloat the suspension menu too much. A single damper curve slider should be enough.
Provided the knee speed is matched to each car (maybe link it to springs; stiffer springs=less deflection so the knee should be lower?), a single high-speed compression digression ratio slider would about do the trick. Rebound can stay linear.
Please, if you would try digressive dampers in a test build I think you would learn more about your tires, both old and new, and it would be for the best.

Digressive dampers
(6 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG