The online racing simulator
Shuttle SS51G - looking for upgrade suggestions
Hey

Haven't taken the plunge and purchased LFS yet, I've played the demo and love it - but my pc is not quite up to the task in some situations.

I have a Shuttle SS51G, so that presents me with some challenges. I purchased it about 4 yrs ago and apart from adding some additional ram and a larger hd, the juicy bits have remained largely unchanged since 2002.

Specs:
Shuttle SS51G (so whatever mobo came with that unit in '02 - I'm at work atm my memory is failing me)
cpu: P4 1.7ghz
ram: 768mb ddr (looking to upgrade to 1024 this summer)
vid card: ATI Radeon 9000
hd: Maxtor 200gb
psu: standard noisy shuttle 200W unit (or is it 220W.... either way, it's weak)

others...
Daytek 17" flatscreen monitor... nothin special
Wireless Microsoft keyboard and mouse
Logitech DFP (left over from GT4)
ATI TV Wonder Pro

I'd like to hear from people with similar setups, or other shuttle users, suggestions about what definitely has to go to be able to field a full grid of cars and maintain reasonable fps with good detail, and what is sufficient. Naturally, I expect far more items to fall in the former category, and likely only the hd and dfp to fall in the latter.

I know the vid card should definitely be updated. However, the PSU severely limits my options - I have no clue where to find anything past 250W for my shuttle [...maybe I should look into an external PSU???]. Because of this limitation, I don't think I can go to anything beyond a Radeon 9600xt... I've heard the 9800's are equivalent to a death sentence for these PSU's. But again, I'd like to hear opinions and learn from others' past experiences.

I'm in no real rush to get the upgrades done as my compy will not have net access until next fall when I move back into my dorm room, so I likely will not be purchasing LFS until then. I'm just wanting to check my options atm.
Personally, I'd say say that the major limiting factor is infact the CPU. LFS does a lot of physics calculations. A lot more than most other "games".

Unfortunately upgrading the CPU maybe a big issue, as shuttles use a slightly customised size motherboard, or mATX (depending on the version), and I'm sure your current board wont be upto the job.
The mobo is a little picky about processors. It does not support Prescott/Celeron D core processors nor does it support hyperthreading.
Anyways, this is a list of compatible cpu's for my machine: http://global.shuttle.com/Support/SupportList.asp?Item=SS51G

Guaging by some of the machines mentioned here: link, I'm guessing something like a 2.4 to a 2.6ghz cpu would be sufficient???

I'm not a huge PC gamer as you likely have guessed from my system specs (actually more of a console gamer) so I don't intend to go over the top with upgrades - I know the shuttle is dated, it just has to last me another year or so until I'm out of uni. LFS will be the only game I play on the machine. I just feel the need for a good driving sim with an active online community - because after a year with GT4 and fumbling around with xlink, it's is just not cutting it for me.
2.6 should have the power to run LFS well. Also a graphics card upgrade would help, but due to the PSU you'll be limited somewhat.
Ah, sorry. I should've done a bit of research. I assumed that your motherboard was a little older than that
thanks for the bit of help you two

It looks like i can get a Celeron A 2.6ghz for about $130cdn. Anything quicker seems to have an unreasonably higher price - I'd find it hard to justify to myself spending double the money for an extra 200mhz.

I'm still iffy about the vid card...
I've heard on the 9xxx's that the 256mb cards aren't worth their salt because the memory is slower than what is on the 128mb cars. I've found a Sapphire 9600xt 128mb for $95cdn locally. I'm just not sure if i should jump on that deal or try to find a 9700, which are supposedly much faster.
I can't find a retailer for those...
I'm also looking at an x800. They require about 33% less power at full load than the 9800's do, so i think I'd be safe with something like that just so long as my mobo supports it... There's a sapphire x800gt on sale here for $140cdn.

edit: erm... scratch the x800 idea. Upon closer inspection the x800gt for sale is of the pci-e variety, not agp as I first thought.
No, don't get a Celeron. It'd be wrose then what you already have.

Clock speed isn't everything. Though the new Celeron-M after a little OC'ing is beating the AMD WR for SuperPi. Either way, get a P4, not Celeron. You could get a HT proc (though it wouldn't use HT), which would still yeild good preformance.
point well taken. Actually, I've heard that warning before but it had been shuffled to the back of my mind until you refreshed me.

that'll push me up into the $250cdn range then for a 2.66ghz p4. Gotta wait for a sale, or check some online vendors.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG