The online racing simulator
Car vs Weather
(10 posts, started )
Car vs Weather
With an overnight low of -29c and a windchill factor that made it closer to -40, thought it might be a good idea to see what tricks and tips the LFS community has for dealing with such conditions.

Doesn"t have to be just cold, can deal with being stuck in snow, driving through flooded streets, ect.

An older car I owned had some bad door seals and would let moisture in which caused the inside windows to frost over when temps dropped, quick fix was to fill a sock with kitty litter and leave on the dash to absorb the moisture.

Post away.

Oh and a belated Happy New Year to you all.

AAnt
Good Battery with fully loaded and take care of your car.

yes, cat litter is powerful tool, but requires to change litter regularly. Otherwise bigger problems might occur, especially if air is not clean...
Quote from AtomAnt :With an overnight low of -29c and a windchill factor that made it closer to -40, thought it might be a good idea to see what tricks and tips the LFS community has for dealing with such conditions.

Moving south worked well for me. Big grin My primary car doesn't even have winter tyres and at current weather it doesn't need them. But I still drive my winterbeater now - mostly because of the salt on roads,allthough after days of rain it should be washed away.

About moisture in car - you can buy silicone bags,got 2 of them in my primary car for same reason - it's not really well sealed.
#4 - lucaf
Just be happy as long as your door lock system don't get frozen so that you are not able to close them at all Big grin Another funny thing is when handbrake gets frozen when its ON. I remember once driving an FWD car with handbrake frozen, didnt realize it until some minutes when I was wondering why the hell the back of the car slides like a hell (road sufrace was really slippery, so didnt affect my speed, but steering Smile)
To keep wipers from freezing to the windshield alot of people raise them up. This tends to strecth the springs and make the wipers less effective, to avoid this just place a tennis ball under each wiper arm, raises them just enough to prevent sticking and keeps the springs in good shape.
#6 - lucaf
Quote from AtomAnt :To keep wipers from freezing to the windshield alot of people raise them up. This tends to strecth the springs and make the wipers less effective, to avoid this just place a tennis ball under each wiper arm, raises them just enough to prevent sticking and keeps the springs in good shape.

Nice, I live in finland and never heard that tip. Interesting Smile
The other day I almost rip my door handle off, we had freezing rain and everything was stuck, how do you fix that eh?
#8 - lucaf
Quote from Blas89 :The other day I almost rip my door handle off, we had freezing rain and everything was stuck, how do you fix that eh?

Love those plastic modern door handles <3
Quote from lucaf :Love those plastic modern door handles <3

They are so pretty you can bring it inside with you when you rip it off. Haha
Quote from Blas89 :The other day I almost rip my door handle off, we had freezing rain and everything was stuck, how do you fix that eh?

There is a product called PAM cooking spray. Lightly spray the metal frame of the door, NOT the door seal ( it is just really hard to get good coverage that way). This also helps seal the door if you have tired or worn door seals. Stuff works great on stupid squeaks and cleans up and smells way better that WD40.

Hope this helps.

AAnt

Car vs Weather
(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG