The online racing simulator
Private setups
(40 posts, started )
#1 - Facee
Private setups
Hello LFS community. Today I would like to discuss the emotions and thought behind a "private" setup.

First of all, what I think when someone says "Sorry, private setup" is that it's just a setup

Second of all, it does not affect your own skill, it's nothing personal you're giving away like your password.

Third of all, it does not humiliate you or make you look bad in any way.

Why would you tell a person asking politely "Sorry, private setup"? Nonetheless if someone says "Give me your setup" I can understand why you would say "No"

ps. Especially clans doing this is just arrogant. Like, join our clan and receive our private setup.
I'm certain someone who worked hard on their set for GTws wouldn't just give it away would they..
#3 - lucaf
Emotions are welcome!

I think using the answer "private setup" is just bit more friendly that just saying "no, I don't want to share my setup".

There are many reasons why someone doesn't want to share his setup, and I think we should respect the answer we get.
#4 - Facee
Quote from MousemanLV :I'm certain someone who worked hard on their set for GTws wouldn't just give it away would they..

Could you explain to me the abbreviation GTws?
#5 - Facee
Quote from lucaf :Emotions are welcome!

I think using the answer "private setup" is just bit more friendly that just saying "no, I don't want to share my setup".

There are many reasons why someone doesn't want to share his setup, and I think we should respect the answer we get.

Nonetheless by this post i'm trying to dig deeper into the emotion of a player wanting to keep their setup private. Like I argued in the original post - It does not hurt your skill or humiliate you any way. So what's the restriction?
#6 - lucaf
Maybe the "restriction" is the same energy wich makes you fighting hard for your position until last curve, instead of letting the opponent pass you and enabling him to have some good feelings about passing you.
#7 - Facee
Quote from lucaf :Maybe the "restriction" is the same energy wich makes you fighting hard for your position until last curve, instead of letting the opponent pass you and enabling him to have some good feelings about passing you.

I somehow managed to get your point but then again I don't. Maybe because I was mostly referring to drifting setups
but still a setup doesn't drastically increase your skill which still applies for racing I suppose. If the best LFS racer gave me his setup I would still be terrible without the necessary practice.

//Edit I now get your point from a competitive perspective. Drifting on the other hand is not based on competitiveness thus a setup being private is just ridiculous if you ask me.
I will normally share sets with anyone who has a !rt 85% plus.

What makes me not share sets is people who join see that you are racing but still pester you for sets rather than wait till tbe race has finished.
Quote from Facee :Hello LFS community. Today I would like to discuss the emotions and thought behind a "private" setup.

First of all, what I think when someone says "Sorry, private setup" is that it's just a setup

Second of all, it does not affect your own skill, it's nothing personal you're giving away like your password.

Third of all, it does not humiliate you or make you look bad in any way.

Why would you tell a person asking politely "Sorry, private setup"? Nonetheless if someone says "Give me your setup" I can understand why you would say "No"

ps. Especially clans doing this is just arrogant. Like, join our clan and receive our private setup.

What if u made WR with it and don't want it public? Nothing wrong with sharing sets with team Smile

It's all part off the game
Welcome to racing sims! Setups exist and can give a driver an edge on the other drivers, why would they want to give that edge away?
Quote from Huskii :Welcome to racing sims! Setups exist and can give a driver an edge on the other drivers, why would they want to give that edge away?

As I have tried to explain very carefully. Handing over a setup does not incline you're handing over your skills and techniques.

On the other hand, I see this post is primarily racing players rather than my intention on getting thoughts from drifters. As I mentioned earlier, in drifting there really isn't a competition thus no disadvantages by sending your setup. Naturally, in racing setups and "car tuning" matters a lot on corner speed etc.
Quote from simon1234 :I will normally share sets with anyone who has a !rt 85% plus.

What makes me not share sets is people who join see that you are racing but still pester you for sets rather than wait till tbe race has finished.

What me make not share set is people joining server no hi or something imediatly ask set Smile Hehe I go like i don't hear them Omg omg omg

Let them learn to say hi Petals
Quote from RC-Maus :What me make not share set is people joining server no hi or something imediatly ask set Smile Hehe I go like i don't hear them Omg omg omg

Let them learn to say hi Petals

I agree like I mentioned in the main post. Players demanding or impolitely asking for your setup is almost a straight no. It's not very hard to ask nicely.
Quote from Facee :I agree like I mentioned in the main post. Players demanding or impolitely asking for your setup is almost a straight no. It's not very hard to ask nicely.

I Always share my sets mostly if i think off it i upload my own made sets, often based on somebody's else but who cares Smile
Personally if its a fun set (wheelie, super donuts and etc) I have no prob giving them to whoever asks for it. Same goes for drift setups.

But for racing setups Im not that open to give these sets. Even tho the people that gave me these setups are because its a "public" set and never told me specifically not to share them, I prefer telling these people to ask the actual person who made the setup to ask for it, to avoid problems and confusion basically.

Its up to the person if he/she doesn't want to share a setup, and begging won't make the situation better. If the person says "No", then you just say "np" and end of discussion. I have seen some people getting buttburn just because they didn't get a setup.

If not, then you could simply give the guy a similar set. If the person asking for a set is giving you a bad time, you can just give him a troll set. In the end he didn't specify what type of setup you need to send Omg omg omg

>>The ones I can't stand are those who don't even bother to search first<<
BTW making drift set pretty easy just make rear higher stiffer suspension and high presure rear Wink if u want really bad at wrong camber at rear Omg omg omg
the setup is a personal thing anyway, what works with you might not work with others. its cool to have a good base setup to work off though
Quote from Ibtasim6781 :>>The ones I can't stand are those who don't even bother to search first<<

I remember me giving hardtrack at demo Thumbs up
If you've come to the forums specifically to create 1 thread and to prove a point to receive gratification from others then please go back to your den.

Setups are not always shared because sometimes people have worked hard to create a set that works for them. Other times, it's a team set that is only shared within a team, a bomus or incentive if you can put it that way, for joining the team.

We dislike when people join the server, witness a fast driver, then immediately request (or demand) for a set up, no matter how polite he/she may be. Especially those with horrible safety rating or those who believe that a set will make them holy and quick. It doesn't.

I only share a set up (which is also quick, but not my WR main) to drivers who have a solid safety and experience rating, and are quick, but not so quick. Meaning, those 2s off the WR, but those not in a 1:12s. This is such as I think they are the drivers who will best benefit from a good setup.

For those who spam set requests, stop. There are other options, like the lfs world page or the set up page here.

I would be happy if you'd show respect to those who actually work out a good set up, and teams who have built up a good repo. It is disgraceful at times when we get askef repeatedly for a set up, even after denying. Show some mental capability and actually try to understand the reasoning behind it rather than trying to take the piss out of the situation and say "it's just a set up". Boy, it takes time to make a setup.

Cheers
Quote from MicroSpecV :If you've come to the forums specifically to create 1 thread and to prove a point to receive gratification from others then please go back to your den.

Setups are not always shared because sometimes people have worked hard to create a set that works for them. Other times, it's a team set that is only shared within a team, a bomus or incentive if you can put it that way, for joining the team.

We dislike when people join the server, witness a fast driver, then immediately request (or demand) for a set up, no matter how polite he/she may be. Especially those with horrible safety rating or those who believe that a set will make them holy and quick. It doesn't.

I only share a set up (which is also quick, but not my WR main) to drivers who have a solid safety and experience rating, and are quick, but not so quick. Meaning, those 2s off the WR, but those not in a 1:12s. This is such as I think they are the drivers who will best benefit from a good setup.

For those who spam set requests, stop. There are other options, like the lfs world page or the set up page here.

I would be happy if you'd show respect to those who actually work out a good set up, and teams who have built up a good repo. It is disgraceful at times when we get askef repeatedly for a set up, even after denying. Show some mental capability and actually try to understand the reasoning behind it rather than trying to take the piss out of the situation and say "it's just a set up". Boy, it takes time to make a setup. Probably time that you'll never have.

Cheers

Oh boy you sure are an aggressive one aren't you? Merely because I have one post does not imply I don't visit the forums? If you carefully read what I posted i'm not trying to prove a point, but on the other hand trying to start a discussion.

Additionally, what a general accusation "We dislike when people join the server ..." Surely there are new players who may play the game for only 10 minutes, but also solid players who likes to try out various setups. Surely the guy with a WR has a promising setup which should be able to either help another player out or even move them towards a different path. In drifting you have Grip, slide and in between. Sometimes the fastest guy in the server might not have a setup for your technique thus the setup wouldn't be ideal. Again, your thoughts are primarily focused on racing which bothers me that you don't pin point anything from this perspective.

Quote :Show some mental capability and actually try to understand the reasoning behind it rather than trying to take the piss out of the situation and say "it's just a set up".

Mental capability? I'm not taking the piss out of any situation. Nonetheless, isn't it just a setup? Or is it some trophy you've acquired by spending countless hours on just to create the perfect setup? Well, for your safety I certainly hope not.
Oh Nova, why so aggressive? If you've read his messages, you should've noticed that he's mostly talking about drift setups, not racing ones. I believe in drifting the setup is not as crucial as in racing.
You're not entitled to anything, if a person doesn't feel like giving you the set, it's what it is Smile
The amount of people coming into this thread completely refraining from any arguments is too damn high.

I've read plenty of the same racing perspectives now and would like some drifting ones. Like Sobis pointed out, a drifting setup is far from crucial compared to a racing one. Like I have tried stating previously, if I was to be given the WR setup I would still come last place because I suck at cornering and braking.
Quote from MicroSpecV :it takes time to make a setup. Probably time that you'll never have.

That makes no sense, are you implying that he has a better social life than you or what?

Private setups
(40 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG