The online racing simulator
Any mouse drivers out there?
(46 posts, started )
#1 - Noni
Thinking of getting S2 but are there many mouse drivers there?

I also just started left and right clicking for manual gear, its hard!

Thanks.
Pretty sure there's a few about.. They seem to be ok with it
IMO It's easy depending on how you set up your controller. Back when I used a mouse I had throttle, brake and clutch set up on the keyboard, steering and shifting on the mouse which worked very well. I'd imagine it'd be a lot harder if you use the mouse for throttle and brake too. Still, today without any practice with mouse I can run similar times as I do with my wheel. It becomes a second nature after a while of practising (there as any method does, I suppose).
#5 - Ndrew
Mouse driver here
yes I am a mouse driver and after the recent patch, the cars are more predictable, and you can get quite fast with the mouse (just keep practicing), the obvious disadvantage is the digital throttle and brake imputs, but you can compensate by using lower button control rate and then tapping like a madman. But the key is practice practice practice, it is very hard because you dont have the 'physical' feel of the wheel underneath you, so hard to judge how much your turning, and its extremely easy to misjudge the amount of your countersteering etc.

some tips - use cockpit view with wheel, it makes it ALOT easier, also you may wish to turn forces on, to remove the dashboard, looks weird, but easier to hit these apex's and through chicanes.

my controls -

left right click = shift
a nd z = throttle and brake

good luck!
#7 - ste_
yeah, real men use mice!
there's some unbelievabley fast mouse drivers out there (NOS PBU I'm looking at you ) and it's perfectly possible to enjoy lfs with a mouse. Of course, you're at a slight disadvantage because of the digital accelerate/brake but you can still put in respectable times.

You have to set up your brake force for the 'worst' corner of the track. So for example, when you're taking a tight corner after a fast downhill piece of track, your max brake force mustn't lock the wheels. But that means on other easier corners you won't be using as much brake force as you might otherwize be able to, so you have to brake a little earlier.

And some corners are harder for mousers than others because of digital brakes (damn corner on fern bay that's real bouncy on the lead up is tough because you can't brake smoothly on it).

And RW cars are harder to drive with the mouse that FW cars, which might limit what you can drive competitively and safely.

And also, whilst 5-10 lap races are ok for mousers, with longer races (and certainly with more powerful cars) your tyres will wear faster than those who can be gentle with their braking.

I stick with the lower-power FW cars myself, but you can still have great fun, great races and it's always nice to spank wheelers

btw: I use left mouse for accelerate, right for brake, and S and D for changing gears (auto-clutch).
Quote from NotAnIllusion :IMO It's easy depending on how you set up your controller. Back when I used a mouse I had throttle, brake and clutch set up on the keyboard, steering and shifting on the mouse which worked very well. I'd imagine it'd be a lot harder if you use the mouse for throttle and brake too. Still, today without any practice with mouse I can run similar times as I do with my wheel. It becomes a second nature after a while of practising (there as any method does, I suppose).

I used (and some times still do) left click for throttle, right click for brake, mouse left and right to steer, and wheel up and down for shifting. Worked rather well.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :I used (and some times still do) left click for throttle, right click for brake, mouse left and right to steer, and wheel up and down for shifting. Worked rather well.

IMO that's just too much work for one hand. I think it's much easier to spread the controls over both hands because I find it's easier to concentrate on steering and just let the throttle and brake do their thing. I got to the point where I was using throttle and brake subconsciously so I spent much more time on getting precise lines (not that I ever got very good at hitting the apexes though ). Each to their own, keyb & mouse suits me
Quote from NotAnIllusion :IMO that's just too much work for one hand. I think it's much easier to spread the controls over both hands because I find it's easier to concentrate on steering and just let the throttle and brake do their thing. I got to the point where I was using throttle and brake subconsciously so I spent much more time on getting precise lines (not that I ever got very good at hitting the apexes though ). Each to their own, keyb & mouse suits me

Hmm, next time I'm too lazy to hook up my wheel I'll have to give that a shot, see how much easier it is to use then all with one hand.
:hyper: Mouse driver here!

Bog stock controls, LMB = Acc, RMB = Brake, S/X = Shift, C = Clutch.

The only problem with this when you move to S2 is that you jump out of the 180kw XRT into 350kw XRR and you find yourself tail happy quite a bit... Very hard to get 300kw to the ground when you're "digitally" mashing the accelerator on the floor.

*looks at his calander* 4 months to go
I just don't get it...why do so many mouse drivers think they are restricted to digital throttle and brake?!? You can put the throttle and brake on the Y-axis of the mouse and steering on the x-axis! It is an incredible advantage over the digital input. I have mine setup that way, with shifting, clutch, horn, ect on the keyboard. It actually takes very little time to get used to. My hotlaps aren't that far off from some WR's, and benchmark times are easily reachable. But if you take a look at my hotlaps you might notice it says I use a wheel. That's where one problem comes in. You have to select the wheel option to assign the extra axis to the mouse. I really wish this little part would get fixed in a patch :-)
well im mouse driver as well, and i have to say since the last patch even FO8 isnt hard no more (if u dont drive SUPER agressive).
and u can also set a slower rate for braking / acclerating.
so it wont be full directly (dont like it tho).
but after all im fine with mouse and i can drive as fast (or even faster^^) as a lot wheel drivers do.
but i think ill get a wheel...anyday....when i got money for it...(oh boy that could take years ).
I find it's a lot easier to control the mouse with shifting up and down set to the mousewheel and throttle/brake on the keyboard. Putting the gas on a mouse button means you're going to be pushing down on it most of the time. This creates friction with your desk/mousepad, so you have to use more force to move the mouse when you steer. That results in slightly jerkier movements giving you less fine control. With the gearshift on the scrollwheel instead of the buttons you never have to put downward pressure on the mouse, allowing you to glide it around effortlessly. It also makes gearshifts slightly faster.
I use mouse.

W for Accelerate
S for Brake
A for downshift
D for Upshift
Quote from NetDemon01 :I just don't get it...why do so many mouse drivers think they are restricted to digital throttle and brake?!? You can put the throttle and brake on the Y-axis of the mouse and steering on the x-axis! It is an incredible advantage over the digital input.

I would like to, since it's also my preferred setup when I play Racer. But in LFS, there is a problem with that: there's hardly any visual clue how far the throttle/brake is pressed. LFS hides the mouse arrow, and the only replacement if offers are two small vertical bars in the corner of the screen. That makes it very hard to judge how much input you're giving.
Am a demo racer mouse i was fast untill they droped the speed of the fx gti.
Quote from NetDemon01 :I just don't get it...why do so many mouse drivers think they are restricted to digital throttle and brake?!? You can put the throttle and brake on the Y-axis of the mouse and steering on the x-axis! It is an incredible advantage over the digital input. I have mine setup that way, with shifting, clutch, horn, ect on the keyboard. It actually takes very little time to get used to. My hotlaps aren't that far off from some WR's, and benchmark times are easily reachable. But if you take a look at my hotlaps you might notice it says I use a wheel. That's where one problem comes in. You have to select the wheel option to assign the extra axis to the mouse. I really wish this little part would get fixed in a patch :-)

I know I could use the y-axis for throttle and brake, but my shaky hands just aren't precise enough so I end up wobbling all over the place during transitions between braking and accelerating

A - throttle
Z - brake
C - clutch
LMB/RMB - shift

Works well enough for me when I have to use the mouse.
#19 - Gunn
I bought a Logitech optical mouse and it came with a disk and the disk had mouse drivers on it.

:hidesbehi
Quote from faster111 :Am a demo racer mouse i was fast untill they droped the speed of the fx gti.

Well when the devs dropped the power of the GTi it will go slower for everyone not just you ...
Quote from Gunn :...

Well, i tried out the mouse Y-axis acceleration thingy tonight. I must say, not bad!

The only thing i had trouble with was braking... Either too much or not enough. But for those who don't have analogue throttle/brake, this is quite a good idea and could be put to some good use with a bit of practice.

I can't do it very competitively because my desk has a chunk taken out of it (cheapo desk ) and it's right where my mouse arm is, so too much movement gives me "wood arm"...

SO good having throttle control out of corners though!

EDIT: btw, i recorded a demo of me using the new setup... but when i played the demo back it's really jerky... I'm assuming it has to do with lag from the server? Anyone know how to fix it? For future demos?
i saw a racer called 'scott' who was doing easy 55-54sec laps with a mouse on bl1 in the bf1 :o
Quote from wsinda :I would like to, since it's also my preferred setup when I play Racer. But in LFS, there is a problem with that: there's hardly any visual clue how far the throttle/brake is pressed. LFS hides the mouse arrow, and the only replacement if offers are two small vertical bars in the corner of the screen. That makes it very hard to judge how much input you're giving.

Press N a few times, the cursor shows up with one of the options This is a little annoying online because if you want the cursor to show up, then the connection list is also going to be showing, and with a large server it can block a big chunk of the screen. But really it isn't all that bad. I've been doing it for a long time. And yeah you just reminded me about Racer. I believe this is the default setup for Racer if I'm remembering correctly.
#25 - Jakg
Quote from faster111 :Am a demo racer mouse i was fast untill they droped the speed of the fx gti.

that just affects the time, you should still be able to keep up!

(46 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG