The online racing simulator
Setting Misc for VR
(9 posts, started )
Setting Misc for VR
Using LFS for first time today also with a Rift. Getting some choppy performance so looking for any settings that might improve things. Noticed some under misc that I'm not sure about...

Limit ingame framerate
Max framerate
Sleep every frame
maximum buffered frames
Multiplayer speedup option
Multiplayer car draw 300m
Dynamic LOD reduction 0.50
Accelerometer
Post processing shader
Shadow gen

Any pointers from folk in the know appreciated. Only just got demo but only buying in once I get a decent performance from the rift setup.

If I've missed something around that explains all this then even a link to that would help.
Already found out the top four things are prob not relevant as they are ghosted out when 3d is switched on. Also I had Post processing on which can't be good.. or is it. Anyway switched off now, seems to have helped.

Still no idea what the accelerometer setting is for or what the post processing did when it was on.
What are your 'puter specs? I'm running an i5 + 660GTX and I've never had any problems with slowdown - LFS runs around 300fps average on monitor, and the DK2 ran at 75fps without ever dropping a frame, and I have everything set to max. I don't use post-processing though - at least, I don't think I do... I don't think I've ever looked... Big grin

I'm assuming you have the Rift plugged into USB3 ports and everything works great in other games?
I'm also on an aging GPU (Radeon 270oc) and LFS runs like butter. Everything is maxed except the flags in the mirror which isn't really important.
I'm not even sure we can change the post-processing while in VR, I'll have to check it out tonight.
VR is a game changer to me. Had mine a week ago and I need to race LFS every night. That MRT now.. Heart
I5 as well, clocked to 4ghz. 980ti. 16g ram. win10

Turning off post it def got smoother. Actually done a few laps without a perfomance monitor in my face for the first time.

It's not running terrible but even when I've got a fair bit of processor headroom I've noticed cars judder a bit and in corners the scenery seemed quite jerky as it scrolled by.

It is the only racer I've tried in VR that hasn't needed ASW on 100% of the time. The perfomance monitor constantly reports 90 which is at odds with what I see tho.
My settings:

Limit ingame framerate Yes
Max framerate 90
Sleep every frame NO
maximum buffered frames 1
Multiplayer speedup option Yes
Multiplayer car draw 250
Dynamic LOD reduction 0.50
Accelerometer Relative
Post processing shader Yes
Shadow gen Default

I was surprised to see that your much better video card wasn't able to handle it smoothly while mine was alright, than I figured out that while in VR, my post processing shaders aren't different while On or Off. Maybe it's a thing on AMD cards, but it's working while I'm in the 2d mode.

I'm glad you have it working, hope to see you on the track soon!
#7 - Ped7g
** Best answer **
There's certain jerkiness expected even when running at full 90 FPS of your headset, as internal physics are going at 100Hz, so if you turn your head sideways, the scenery will every now and then jump a tiny bit more, when 2 physics frames are done in single graphical frame. But while driving and looking ahead, it should be very hard to see.

So the question is, whether it is running at full 90Hz without a frame drop, and you are sensitive to that 100Hz vs 90FPS clash, or you are also missing graphics frames and not up to full 90 FPS.
That sounds feasible Ped7g... I've been framerate focussed for years so that makes sense. It seems incredibly smooth going on a straight.

I seem to have a solid 90 with plenty of headroom. Had the PPD on 1.5 and it looked good. Boosted it up to 2.0 and it still sings. Still showing a little headroom remaining as well. Never set it at 2.0 for anything b4.

The ppd has left me a little confused though. Having a cv1 the resolution for both eyes together is 2160*1200 which I thought (may be wrong) would super sample at 2.0 leading to a res of 4320*2400, around 4k thats then downscaled for maximum niceness.

In the LFS view menu it tells you the render target size and when I use 2.0 in the oculus tray tool LFS reports a render target of 5344*3184. Just an insignificant 7 million pixel difference. Maybe I've misunderstood something about supersampling.

It still mindblowingly runs smooth but I don't understand the numbers. A ppd of 1.5 put me nearer to 4k but that should be lower too. Dunno if I'm missing some other game internal setting but I've seen nothing that should affect ppd in there.

Setting Misc for VR
(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG