The online racing simulator
Game goes really slow
(25 posts, started )
Game goes really slow
Hi guys, I'm new here and I just recently got LFS. I can't play it, however, because it goes at an average of 2.5-4 frames per second.

I have the standard ATI Radeon 340M graphics card on my computer, so I guess that would still be OK.. what can I do?
#2 - Jakg
Quote from -Dell- :Hi guys, I'm new here and I just recently got LFS. I can't play it, however, because it goes at an average of 2.5-4 frames per second.

I have the standard ATI Radeon 340M graphics card on my computer, so I guess that would still be OK.. what can I do?

erm, never heard of that, know any other specs? no pc's have s "Standard" graphics cards btw
#3 - joen
What are the other specifications of your hardware?
I don't know the exact specs of that graphics card but it's an integrated chip with shared memory right? They often... aren't that great. So if you've got limited ram in your PC it's to be expected the framerate won't be that good, because he graphics card uses a chunk of your PC's ram instead of it's own.
What CPU do you have? What resolution and other graphics settings are you using in LFS?
My PII 350Mhz managed 30 FPS! What PC you got?
It's a Windows XP 2.2GHz.

As for exact specs, I have no idea what they are as I wasn't the person who got the computer.

Any way to check this?
#6 - joen
By going to start->settings->control panel->system you can get some basic info. There it should say how much memory you have in the PC.
Your CPU should be more than sufficient to play LFS so at this moment I would say the graphics card just isn't up to the challenge.

//edit: Just looked up some specs on the graphics card, it has 64 MB shared memory. I don't know what the minimal requirements are for LFS according to the devs, but I do know that 64MB shared memory isn't a lot. I think you should be able to get a somewhat decent framerate with this system but I need to know at what graphics quality you play LFS. Because they probably need to be set lower.
isnt there also a way to check pc stats by going to start menu/Run...? i remember being told this a few years ago but now ive totally forgot the code
#8 - joen
do you mean start->run->cmd->systeminfo ?

edit: or start->run->msinfo32
with 2.2Ghz processor you should be getting more FPS than that. There's definately something up. Have a look and see how much RAM you are using. Click on the performance tab of Task Manager.

Sounds as though something is using up all your memory.
As a further note you can click Start --> Run and type dxdiag and save it as a text file.
haha thats the one, thanks ebola
Wow, my friend is running the demo on a 433 Mhz processor, 128 Ram, and a 64 Mb Video Card....and gets 45 FPS...
maybe some cleaning will help?
Quote from squidhead :Wow, my friend is running the demo on a 433 Mhz processor, 128 Ram, and a 64 Mb Video Card....and gets 45 FPS...
maybe some cleaning will help?

Hööö

i have p3 550@616mhz 128mb ram and 64mb mx400 graphic card...And very low details only getting 4-15 fps...

Ur friend very fantastic boy . congratulations!. :P
I'm very surprised at the variation in FPS on different rigs. I have a P4 1.5GHz, 512MB RAM, 64MB Geforce MX440 (dont laugh ) and I only get 25FPS and I'm damn sure ive got everything set to minimum. This figure is Single Player (No AI's). This is a Win XP Pro machine with only 19 processes running so its not even working up a sweat - strange really.

I wonder if there are some other factors that I cant think of right now.
Framerate will vary a lot depending on how many cars are on track, and how many are in front of you .
I have a 3.3G p4 with a GF 6800 GT and can get 30FPS at the back of a full grid, rising to 100FPS+ with no other cars.

John
Says here it's a 1.8Ghz (woops) and it has 238MB RAM. Page file = 337MB used, 248MB available.

It also says that the card has approx 16MB memory and from what I can see, that stinks.

Another thing, 46 processes, most of them included in this PrintScreen.
The ATI IGP 340M is your problem, its an onboard graphics "card", firstly what drivers are you using with it, if you are not using the latest get them, if that doesnt solve it you need an addon graphics card, do you have an AGP slot?.

Dan,
I use a Celeron M 1.4, 512Mb RAM and 64Mb dedicated ATi Xpress 200 IGP. Some settings are lowered but only the unnoticeable details like mip level and a slight draw dist drop. 40 FPS usually on single-car, and it drops dramatically on a grid. This could however be because I think the default Cats on this comp are the buggy ones. I can't use the new Omegas yet because they don't support this card at this time. I'd suggest closing processes and selecting to half texture size if you only have 16Mb. Draw distance should also be adjusted. And please buy a new graphics card. A decent AGP one is only 40 quid.
ive got a 1.4ghz processor amd athlon with 510mb of ram and a 128 mb nvidia geforce 6200 graphics card (recently upgraded from 64mb) and i get around 30-60 fps with no grid, and around 10fps when starting a grid with more than 4 cars doesnt bother me, i just let them speed off until my screen gets a bit faster then i just catch up this comp is soooooo nice compared to 64mb hehe
Yep - graphics card is the problem I reckon.

Also, turn down all the details within the game. Choose low res, set all the graphics options to the lowest settings and close all other apps that are running.
Had a run just then with a few processes closed and all other applications closed- 32FPS! Woot!

I guess until I get a new gfx card then I'll have to close everything off and play.
32 is playable tho. Should get a little more by adjusting the graphics options.
Resolution in LFS has little bearing to performance (maybe 1,2 FPS diff between 1024x768 32bit and 800x600 16bit on my rig).
Glad to hear things are going in the right direction

Game goes really slow
(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG