The online racing simulator
BL1Y Sandell
(3 posts, started )
BL1Y Sandell
Layout for Blackwood.

Wanted to try making layout without fully vertical walls, which is why the sloping ramp walls all round.

Feels like you are driving in a groove, and with the muted colours of road and walls, everything looks almost sand coloured.

Think would be good layout for race, which isn't something I tend to have on my server.

YouTube video

Attached files
BL1Y_Sandell.lyt - 10.4 KB - 311 views
Looks like awesome fun - reminds me of a dune-sea offroad track. Although, if I might make a small suggestion? There are a few corners where I can see opportunities for literally dive-bombing other cars Big grin

A vertical block of some sort on the inside of the slower corners would prevent this from happening - unless using the banking on the inside is part of the experience, in which case ignore me Wink
I only used just over 1,300 objects out of 2,100 available, so plenty more could be added if required by anyone who wants to use the layout.

I originally had route markers, invisible marshalls and some slabs laid near edge of ramp wall, to act as a sort of pavement/sidewalk kerb, but I eventually removed all these to give bit more freedom to drivers to risk taking shortcuts over some of the bumps/corners.

There is risk taking too much of these corners as it can throw you off course, or cause you to spin, or go over edge, etc.

If you do go over the edge into the middle bits, I constructed some circular walls to play around in, as a sort of consolation for being out of a race.

Another reason for not putting too much more in, especially coloured objects, was that I wanted it to be difficult when racing someone, for the drivers to have difficulties in differentiating track surface from sloping walls. If they stuggle to make out route when racing someone, then there is a chance for the more visually acute to make up for eyesight what they may lack in driving skill.

Because there's a lot of grey on grey, it's very easy too miss something that might be in front of you when going at speed. If you look at video at about the 1:30 mark (near end), or if you race round the circuit, you'll find that the overhead concrete gantry that holds the lights is almost invisible. Some other objects elsewhere round the track are the same.

If anyone does decide to use this layout on their server, I'd love to see a replay to see what kind of mayhem might be involved in a race.

BL1Y Sandell
(3 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG