The online racing simulator
Slightly annoying small thing

Picture says it all...
The grass bit/portion contains the pebbley/tarmac bit as you can see in the square (the upside down V shape that is obvious what is textured grass and what is tarmac), and apparently when you put even a quarter's tire width on the bit between the grass and green astro the dirt pickup is so immense it blows you up immediately.

For the avid simracer like me who goes for detail we usually will take the best line (i.e all of the track), and basically predict-position our car for each corner entry, so it ticks me off slightly when I know I'm still on the track (not the grass) but because of the way the plot of land is positioned (and the fact that the tapering off bit is not actually textured grass) I still slide off.

What I'm suggesting is that either fully grassi-fy the half pebbley bit to the very edge of the astro so when we race we recognise the edges of the track better, or increase the detail in such a way that from the edge of the green astro, to the start of the grass - that small grey bit is still actually tarmac.

-ps I'm not ranting, it's just a small suggestion to make the flow better...
Don't ask me or tell me "no!1!! it doesn't affect your racing!" well if you grow heavily accustomed to simracing and have a 6th sense of the track after a long time you'll realise tiny things like this do matter.
Not sure about other kerbs/astro if they have this because I never run that wide elsewhere..

Cheers
#2 - Eric
Well, you're outside the track limits at that point. All 4 wheels are outside of the white lines, so there's no point being annoyed about it.

If anything, that part of the track is being quite generous.
Quote from Eric :Well, you're outside the track limits at that point. All 4 wheels are outside of the white lines, so there's no point being annoyed about it.

If anything, that part of the track is being quite generous.

Hmmm well looks like I'll have to take a sidestep when I get to that point of the astro, but then it ruins the rhythm.
Thanks for replying quick and swift answer mate, cheers
Hmm... Okay, as answer is given specifically, I have to go a bit off topic, as it is however, more or less directly:

Is there any racing activity in real life where track limits are off for bigger track limits? Which would be in this case, walls.

Well, I think almost every racetrack has set on put some track limits, as planned... But what if... ( I know at least in LFS there were alot kind of this 9-10 years ago, only walls being limit. However, all other generic racing motorsport code was there active and highly involved )

EDIT: My impulsive imagination created this post, sorry in advance if being irrelevant though lol
#5 - Eric
Well, to my knowledge, track limits have varying degrees. Basically you need to keep 2 wheels within the white lines, but if you run wide in an area where you can't gain a lap time advantage, then the lap is legal. However if you cut a corner to gain a faster time by putting all four wheels outside of the track limits, then the lap is illegal.

This seems to be the case in F1. They're constantly reviewing the track limits on a corner-by-corner basis per track. I think I remember Martin Brundle saying that it was hard to know where it was legal to run wide on certain corners, especially at Abu Dhabi.

In the case of Blackwood, I was more concerned with the chicane before the long straight because it clearly had advantages if you cut it. I try to make it obvious where you shouldn't cut a corner, but nothing is perfect. I replied to this post because I thought that MicroSpecV had a slight complaint about a turn which I thought was very lenient.
I see. It is not specifically problem to me at all. I do remember on demo times when XR GT Turbo was still a demo car, and reversed configuration allowed. We had many, many many races on XRT/BL2R combo, but we did shortcut all the time on sand section. Same thing happened on XRT/BL1R, although more rarely, we had a racing line OVER the pitlane, where you had to jump over it. Having a normal racing line obviously will not be tolerated, and you get nearly no mercy at all. Host admin specifically wanted to have this way... if broken that rule --> ban, in ultimate choice.

Those times were cool. In today, we have layout objects to create similar stuff, or even more increased and complex things, with several different rules. Only problem is that there is not so much people. However, atmosphere in LFS is better though. No crazy flaming wars or anything nearly like that on these days as it was back on then 2008-2011.

This is why hardcore LFS'ers still are here: nearly endless options to create your thing Smile. And I bet more will be coming for sure!

EDIT: DUH... I always go off topic when I start discuss from my opinions and preferences
@Eric
Did anyone think of removing that astro/reducing it's width though?
I abuse that bit because... well... fast times, make use of everything Rofl but for the better of simulation wouldn't it be better if that astro was... not there?
Then it'll just be a case of skill instead of "who can best use the astro runoff for the final corner gains time".

I'm fine if it's smaller tbh, feels more natural then going into the groove and automatically accustomed to taking the astroturf line.

Chers

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG