The online racing simulator
Locking skins idea
(8 posts, started )
Locking skins idea
Hey ppl!, I got an idea a few days ago about locking skins. I've realised that either teams or people who want certain skins to be used only by them, which I am fine with, since I got some skins which I want to use for my use only. So, how about if there is an option on LFS World where you can select something like "Personalised Skin" so that people can see your skin online, but they won't be able to copy it over. Now, I know it isn't an easy thing to do but if the devs could create some sort of skin protection system thats added to the skin so that it can't copied.
In order for you to see the skin, it has to be loaded onto your computer. That's the way it seems anyways. Maybe they could have some sort of encryption, done after you upload it, but it would most likely just be a pain in the rear.
why?

add a username to a encrypted skin and the skin is protected...
that way it can't be decrypted that easily by the copiers, and therefore be protected.

To change your skin you'll need the original file (unencrypted file) then hand it over to lfs wich does the securing-process.

that hard?
#4 - Lible
One thing what will surely work a bit is different format of skinsx (dds for example) and skins folder files. Ofcourse smarter wreckers can convert it, but they will need a program to do it, so it gets very annoying.
#5 - Honey
Quote from micha1980de :why?

add a username to a encrypted skin and the skin is protected...
that way it can't be decrypted that easily by the copiers, and therefore be protected.

To change your skin you'll need the original file (unencrypted file) then hand it over to lfs wich does the securing-process.

that hard?

"not hard", but useless!!!!!! as soon the skin is loaded into memory to be visualized (unencrypted of course) then everyone can save it with tool like winhex or similar...of course, in less than one month there will surely be someone that write a tool the does it in a just click (for lazy robbers).

it's so bad that there are people that steal skins, but is also that bad that exist some big-ego guys that pretend the devs will develop a "starforce"-like engine to protect their crappy skins... you don't want to share? then don't upload it to lfsworld!
true in this scenario...

but what about the new security features of the new operating systems to come, where treads aren't alowed to read the memory of other threads.
then this problem will be sovled itself, (or am i wrong again?) if these features aren't insecure or soon exploited.
make skins_x a zipped folder with a password that oooonly the devs know attached..... just an idea
#8 - Woz
Quote from Spudster :make skins_x a zipped folder with a password that oooonly the devs know attached..... just an idea

Then you just download one of the many tools that extract the password for you from zip.

Is this REALLY that much of an issue. Given the choice of the devs working on and coding up a security system that then has to go through tests etc etc etc or physics and game updates then 99.9999% of us will pick physics.

Locking skins idea
(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG