The online racing simulator
"Real" car skins, legal?
(3 posts, started )
"Real" car skins, legal?
Dont "normal" games need licenses for representing real cars?

How is that with skins inspired of real cars?
If the skin is fan-made, and as long as it's not distributed as part of the game, there's no problem and nothing the original owner of the livery can do.

The only thing that would make it a problem would be if someone was to try selling that skin for profit, for example, including it in the game's installation, or starting a e-commerce website that sold custom skins. That's when the lawyers start to turn up...
My 2 cents
Quote from Marty_Deslions :Dont "normal" games need licenses for representing real cars?

How is that with skins inspired of real cars?

I guess my take on any real racing org livery is..

In LFS only most cars are not the make , model or type the original design is on in real life, the BF1 etc are the exceptions and then it could be argued they now are not the current model or shape.

So if I put the design of a V8 Supercar (My local racing format) from a from Craig Lowndes Caltex sponsored car onto the FZR its going to be different due to the car shape no matter how faithfully I reproduce it.

Lawyers may try a "look and Feel" case but as you point out it's an inspired replica of a real life paint scheme and unless its on a Holden Commodore in LFS it isn't exact

"Real" car skins, legal?
(3 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG