The online racing simulator
No keyboard/mouse
(9 posts, started )
No keyboard/mouse
Hi everybody Smile

I´m trying to run LFS without keybord/mouse and i´m in trouble with this.

I would like to choose cars/tracks e.t.c without mouseclicks.

Does anyone have a good solution how to do this?

Regards

MPlayer
Logitech Profiler to emulate the mouse.

You can use the commands LFS provides, but it isn't enough, as you can't change car, select setups, etc.
Hi

How does this Logitech Profiler emulate mouse?

MPlayer
One way is to have an external program connected to Live for Speed through InSim. Wheel buttons can be assigned to /i messages that will be sent out through InSim, so now the external program knows when you press any wheel button.

The InSim program can then display options on the screen, that might be tracks or cars to select, and the user can select the appropriate option by pressing wheel buttons.
Hi
Do you really want to do completly without mouse & keyboard?
Or just minimize their use?
http://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/Keys
http://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/Script_Guide
The hotkeys save lots of clicking and scripts can save some keypresses too.
(I like the toggling script example: Combines four keys on keyboard into one button on wheel)

If it is absolutely-super-duper-not possible to use mouse, to two solutions are:
Look for some joystick/gamepad-to-mouse emulator. This one looks good, but I did not try it:
http://atzitznet.no-ip.org/Joy2Mouse3/
"Joystick 2 Mouse 3 let's you control the mouse and keyboard using your joystick or gamepad." - Sounds like what you are looking for.

Second methode via Logitech Profiler. I tested it to use the D-Pad of G27 as mouse:

(D-Pad = the 8-direction thing above the red buttons)

I found option in Profiler to control mouse-clicks, but none for mouse-axes.
But i found trick.

1) In windows turn on the keyboard-mouse. ( http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000542.htm )
This allows to control mouse with the numpad keys.
Turn up the speed & acceleration, at least in windows 7 the defaults felt reaaaaaaaally slow.

2) Use the Logitech profiler to assign the numpad keys to buttons/controlls on your wheel.
Record new keystroke and then assign that keystroke to a button or direction of D-pad.
Sorry, would take too long to write down in details, but it is fairly innuitive.

3) Keyboard-mouse can be turn on/off with numlock key.
So you can even assign "normal" LFS functions to those keys and toggle between LFS-functions or mouse-control.

Technically this worked but it felt slow to use. Perhaps needs practice.
I use USB extension cords for keyboard & mouse..was 1€ each. Wink
Attached images
logitech_shifter_mouse.png
Hi all!

and thanks for your replys.
I have to say, i´m quite a noob in this area, so for sure, I´ll need (a lot) of good advice:-)

Maybe you would like to know why I´m having this "uncommon" request to use LFS without keyb./mouse.

The thing is this:

I´m gonna have several persons playing on the same computer, and the keyword is "playing".
They should NOT have access to Windows, so when the computer starts up LFS automaticly the users(a lot of noobs) shouldnt be able to exit the LFS, or toggle screens. This is the main reason why I would like to not have keyboard mouse.
The other reason is that I would like to make restrictions in LFS regarding to possibility to make all kinds of setup changes e.t.c. You can probably imagine what a noob with fast fingers can do in a few seconds, total mess up the software for the next user.

So, basicly, I´m going to "setup" the LFS menus so THE ONLY THING the "user" or lets call him "player" has to do is CHANGE/CHOOSE car/track.

Ofcourse I will have to but some buttons on the wheel, maybe P for pause, Automatic/manual gears....e.t.c functions tha the user wants to have to be able to play the game.

The problem as I see it, is that theres no way of for instance using TAB when selecting cars..
Just had a look at the script possibility.....hmmm would it be possible to make a script that somehow would "toggle" thru the "preassigned" options...like in Windows programs (like Excel) where you can toggle thru "not locked cells" and then press enter to make a choice...??

This would solve my problem, I could have two "back and forth" (arrow left/right) buttons, and a "ENTER" button to make the choice.

Sounds easy saying it but probably impossible to do.

It would ofcoure require a LFS setup with a lot of "mouse click alternatives" disabled, like for instance the EXIT button, so users couldnt toggle to that button.

I would like to hear Your comments to all this, and rememember, I´m a total noob in this InSim/programming thing, so I´m probably gonna need some assistance to get it done, if it´s possible, that is...

Meseplayer.
The only way to provide a truly customised version of LFS is through InSim.

However, if you want to try to allow the user to do a few things through text commands assigned to wheel buttons, you will need commands like:

/spec
/car XFG
/join
/track BL1R
/ready
/end

The text commands are documented in the commands.txt file in your docs folder.

You can assign text commands to wheel buttons in Options - Controls screen in the CTRL+ and ALT+ sections.

Also you can assign multiple text commands to a single button press by using a script. The script is simply a list of LFS commands, saved in the data\script folder. You can run a script with the command /run filename and that is the text you would assign to the wheel button.
Hi

You mentioned in an earlier answer an "external program" to coommunicate with InSim.
What program would that be?
Is there some specs what kind of an program it has to be, and can I find a "sample" to start from?

Meseplayer

No keyboard/mouse
(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG