The online racing simulator
Quote from Amynue :When you don't have enough funds on your PayPal account it asks you to add a Credit Card to your PayPal account...

But you don't pay until May when it is delivered, so Paypal is not gonna ask you for any founds, for now.

As much as like sim racing... there are so many things I'd rather do with 750 Euros at the moment. No, thanks.
Quote from NitroNitrous :But you don't pay until May when it is delivered, so Paypal is not gonna ask you for any founds, for now.

Yes, it's not gonna ask me for funds because it asks me to add a credit card to my PayPal account, because I have no funds. It's stupid, but what can I do. I think my money will arrive tommorow because today it's Epiphany (holiday).

Hope my Rift will still ship on 28th March if I preorder tommorow morning, probably not :/
Quote from Shotglass :
clearly the facebook money and web expertise at play here

Ok, that made me laugh.

I snagged one too, was getting errors for about 5 minutes until it worked. Got the email confirmation... $915CAD including shipping - not what I was expecting either, and our dollar is trash right now which makes it even worse. When it was par with USD, it wouldn't be such a gouge.

Trying to keep expectations low even though I keep reading that the screen door effect is all but gone and the FOV is much better now. Guess I'll find out myself eventually.

Quote :
Hope my Rift will still ship on 28th March if I preorder tommorow morning, probably not :/

Probably not since my order went through 30 mins after opening preorders, and expecting shipping for me was April. You never know though.
I got an email aswell after ordering, though it took me 50 minutes from the pre-order launch to get an actual order in.

I kept getting the Rift in my shopping basket just fine, but the website refused to include the shipping cost at the last step, which stopped the order from being completed. Then I just started all over and it worked fine.
Even if they would point a gun on my head I will say... Nah.. Stuff it in *** ...

Lets wait on HTC Wink
$902 New Zealand dollars. I was not expecting that at all. That's around how much my last PC-build cost me. Frown

I think I'll be sticking with the DK2 just a little longer, but my biggest fear now will be that they'll not make the future SDKs backwards compatible.

Very, very keen to see what price the Vive system hits the market at...
Valve/HTC could win the VR war in one day doing this at CES right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExaAYIKsDBI

Of course, this would mean the controller would sell separately and they might sell the headset in the red for a little while but that would work in the long term for sure.

EDIT: Just to clarify things up, that was the price the consumer version of the Rift was suppose to be before they sold to Facebook. Most people don't need another xbox controller, they don't beg for Valkyrie nor Lucky's tale that I just heard of for the first time. These are just gimmicks to boost the price while it's the opposite that was needed right now.
My research group pre-ordered one today, can't wait to give it a go. I'll post my feedback here once it arrives. (I've driven in LFS with the DK1 and DK2 so I should be able to give a fairly good review).

For personal use though, considering I'd need a new GPU and CPU (plus motherboard and PSU to compensate), it's not worth it to me right now. Maybe once I've tried it at work it'll be more tempting.
Still no money in my PayPal, according to them it's a "slight delay". Ok PayPal, thanks.

For those who don't understand why it doesn't cost $300, here is some explaination from Palmer:
http://www.polygon.com/2016/1/6/10724644/oculus-rift-price-palmer-luckey

For those who think that Vive will be cheaper... forget about it. I mean, I wish it was, would buy it myself, but it's not going to happen.

Palmer is doing an AMA on Reddit, where he explains the price and other things in greater detail:
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3zt7ul/i_am_palmer_luckey_founder_of_oculus_and_designer/

Quote from Scawen :Thanks, I've contacted Victor about this.

Yeah, I don't think banned users should be able to send private messages, definitely something for Victor to look into. He is still going BTW:
http://i.imgur.com/4XWclEV.jpg
If he is on a temporary ban, you should consider extending it to permanent... I don't think he is reformable.
Thanks for the links. I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd rather wait until it drops a little. 300$~ was a no-brainer for me, even for a first generation, now it's just meh.
They seem to make a huge "wow" effect with all the units sold in the first 10 minutes, but the first 10 minutes of an awaited product are always impressive, because there's a legion of hardcore fans rushing online to get it. We'll see if this price was a good strategy if it still sells well in the next few months. At least those who buy it should have a great VR experience.
So the money arrived to my PayPal, but that didn't do anything. Despite the fact that I had nearly €800 Euros on my PayPal it still was asking for a credit card, so I ended up adding my father's credit card to my PayPal account. Should have done that yesterday. Expected shipment in May... thanks again PayPal.
I hope it's going to change over time to April at least, as they remove fraud attempts, people who cancel preorders, etc...

€742 total cost with shipment to Poland if anyone wonders.

Meanwile in my PM folder:
http://i.imgur.com/wsimqw7.jpg
What a determination Big grin
Quote from Matrixi :I got an email aswell after ordering

oh dear
still no email here
if i get my shipping date pushed back to whenever because they are unable to get their website working properly im gonna be annoyed
Quote from Scawen :Yeah, in UK it's said to be £499 plus £30 shipping.

Too high I think, considering the resolution still won't be that good.

Might be best to wait for the second generation devices, when they are cheaper and have better resolution (which will also depend on graphics cards with better performance).

Could be better to buy a mountain bike and experience some real reality. Smile

Exactly the same what I thought. I buy a new bike for that money! ( and S3 ) ;D
"We decided, in the end, to optimize quality over cost."

Sounds good to me. But HTC is aiming high too.

So if you are waiting for a cheap VR head set, wait till some Chinese company copies them (with inferior HW parts and lower spec. But hey, they will sell it as "exact copy" or even "better", so you can pretend it's good Smile ).

Either way I'm out so far, don't feel like I miss VR gadget in my life so badly, that I would invest into new HW (but I never tried one, maybe I will go "here, take my money", once I will try one Smile ).
Quote from Shirtkicker :I think I'll be sticking with the DK2 just a little longer, but my biggest fear now will be that they'll not make the future SDKs backwards compatible.

At least 1.0 is said to be compatible. Only from this tweet by Tom Forsyth
https://twitter.com/tom_forsyth/status/679185974237106176

Though I don't trust Oculus to stick to their promises at all.

Quote from Amynue :Yeah, I don't think banned users should be able to send private messages, definitely something for Victor to look into. He is still going BTW:
http://i.imgur.com/4XWclEV.jpg
If he is on a temporary ban, you should consider extending it to permanent... I don't think he is reformable.

Victor told me he disabled banned people from sending PMs yesterday evening.

No, his ban is permanent. After buying and unlocking S3, he initialised a payment dispute with Paypal, claiming item not received or similar. He has become a daily problem, despite giving him chances again and again.

Quote from Amynue :Meanwile in my PM folder:
http://i.imgur.com/wsimqw7.jpg
What a determination Big grin

I'm writing to Victor again...

Quote from Ped7g :"We decided, in the end, to optimize quality over cost."

Sounds good to me. But HTC is aiming high too.

Still the resolution is low. It's a pity they didn't focus on that. Headphones and a MS controller don't seem to be a good idea for all the people who don't want one.

It seems to me all the extra pixels will just go into a little extra peripheral vision. Also it makes no sense to me that they still have a higher vertical resolution than horizontal.
Quote from Scawen :It seems to me all the extra pixels will just go into a little extra peripheral vision.

even at the dk2s resolution its alomst impossible to find a pc that can push a solid 90fps
I made a €120 profit when selling my DK1 and €140 from the DK2. So basicaly I got to try the DK1 and DK2 for free and now I have a €260 discount on the CV1. It's not that bad after all Smile Too bad I lost my spot in the shipment lane thanks to PayPal's nonsense :/

Those who Kickstarted the DK1 are the true winners here. They got both the DK1 and CV1 for only $300 and they were first to get them.

Expected ship date is at June 2016 for currrent orders already. At that rate orders from the end of January will ship in 2017 Looking This prediction system better be broken.

Quote from Shotglass :oh dear
still no email here
if i get my shipping date pushed back to whenever because they are unable to get their website working properly im gonna be annoyed

I think it's a common problem. Does the Rift apear in your Order History? Make sure to check your spam folder. I got my email half an hour after ordering.

Quote from Ped7g :I never tried one, maybe I will go "here, take my money", once I will try one Smile

That's what happened to Mark Zuckerberg Razz

Quote from Scawen :I'm writing to Victor again...

Ok, will let you know if he continues.

Quote from Scawen :Still the resolution is low. (...) It seems to me all the extra pixels will just go into a little extra peripheral vision. Also it makes no sense to me that they still have a higher vertical resolution than horizontal.

There is much more than just resolution that goes into the choice of displays. Size, contrast, brightness, refresh rate, durability, latency, cost, pixels arrangement, the list goes on. And then you also have to take in consideration how many people would have a PC able to run games at given resolution and refresh rate. If both HTC and Oculus decided to go with that combination of resolution and refresh rate then this must be the best choice with the best balance of all the aspects that go into the screens.
Quote from Shotglass :even at the dk2s resolution its alomst impossible to find a pc that can push a solid 90fps

That depends on the software. LFS runs easily at 90 fps on the Vive, on my computer that is well below the latest Oculus required specification. Software developers could try to write code that is less costly per pixel.

About the seemingly pointless prioritising of the vertical resolution over the horizontal, I've attached a simple illustration of the problem. The devices lack periperal vision but we are pointlessly rendering many thousands of pixels up above our eyebrows.

EDIT: Added another image to suggest how the same screen size could be better used.
Attached images
priority.gif
landscape.gif
Quote from Amynue :There is much more than just resolution that goes into the choice of displays. Size, contrast, brightness, refresh rate, durability, latency, cost, pixels arrangement, the list goes on.

The list may go on but I can point out with certainty that, for a racing simulator, the main problem with the DK2 is peripheral vision and resolution. (I guess this is even worse with a flight simulator where looking into the distance is even more of a problem). It sounds as if they have improved peripheral vision in the CV1 but not resolution in the centre. However, if they had rotated the screens to landscape instead of portrait, they could have improved resolution a little more too with the same screens.
Quote from Scawen :The list may go on but I can point out with certainty that, for a racing simulator, the main problem with the DK2 is peripheral vision and resolution. (I guess this is even worse with a flight simulator where looking into the distance is even more of a problem). It sounds as if they have improved peripheral vision in the CV1 but not resolution in the centre. However, if they had rotated the screens to landscape instead of portrait, they could have improved resolution a little more too with the same screens.

According to this review the displays seems to be rotated to landscape in the Consumer Rift (ECV7 = Consumer Beta).
Attached images
FOV comparison.png
I an inclined not to believe that, because Oculus say "the Rift runs at 2160×1200 at 90Hz split over dual displays".
https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/powering-the-rift/

That sounds like two 1080x1200 (portrait) screens, like the Vive dev kit.

EDIT: I came across this image which also seems to show portrait screens. http://imgur.com/vBwIfGB
-
(Nadeo4441) DELETED by Scawen : spam
Quote from Amynue :I think it's a common problem. Does the Rift apear in your Order History? Make sure to check your spam folder. I got my email half an hour after ordering.

it does appear in my order history but for whatever reason there is no estimates price shown
and no order number of any kind

Quote from Scawen :That depends on the software. LFS runs easily at 90 fps on the Vive, on my computer that is well below the latest Oculus required specification. Software developers could try to write code that is less costly per pixel.

yeah but lfs runs on a potato
Quote from Scawen :if they had rotated the screens to landscape instead of portrait, they could have improved resolution a little more too with the same screens.

Exactly! While Oculus and HTC may act like they compete, they sometimes make a secret meeting where they plot against humanity. At one of those meetings they've made a deal to only make headsets with very low FOV, as a joke they even made the screens in portrait orientation to get the best of it.

I have a canadian friend who happens to be a VR engineer, he is really into this kind of theories and I'm sure he would love to explain that in greater detail but unfortunately he was banned from the forums not long ago, so we may never know the truth. He still PMs me from time to time, really miss him.

Quote from Shotglass :it does appear in my order history but for whatever reason there is no estimates price shown
and no order number of any kind

If you go into the Order History and click on your order, you should see your order number in the URL

shop.oculus.com/en-us/history/XXXXXXXXXXXXXX/

and go read this:
https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=28506&start=200
and this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/3zvixh/can_we_please_get_some_feedback_concerning/cypd5qf

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG