The online racing simulator
Speed Displayed In Drag Racing...
I would very much like to see a small feature added to the drag racing aspect of LFS. I think when you cross the line it should display your speed. It could just display your speed like it displays a split. In the middle of your screen for 1 or 2 seconds.

I dont think this would be to hard to add, but then again...what do i know about programing

I would just like to hear all your views on the matter...thanks
Hey, that's actually a great idea! +1

I would like to see the drag racing aspect used more, it's good for some kicks here and there. For one thing, just like racing, false starts NEED to be possible. Getting a good start is a big part of the whole battle of drag racing.
#3 - richy
yep and with the speed it could then show the reaction time too.

+1
#4 - _rod_
Nice idea, even tho i dont really drag, would be nice to know what was your speed when you cross the line.
Bloody good ideas!

ET times and MPH/KMH would be tops. As well as the 'uncontrolled' start. Should be able to false start, and have slow reaction times If you had proper staging, then you would also be able to warm up your tyres too
/\ nice idea mate /\
Yea yea yea! Like in real drag racing, before the start you do burnout in order to warm up tires and then roll slowly to the start line and "christmas tree" lights start.
This would be the cat's meow

I'm not sure how it works now (admittedly I've never dragged online), but there should be a queue system set up so that you come out of spectate and race when it's your "turn", just like IRL. Then Drag servers could have a ton of people join and it would be like going to the track on the weekend. This would make the drag mode much more appealing and condusive to controlled online runs. It might even be fun!

The trap speed / time should be on big readouts down the track for spectators to see also, maybe even a couple predefined cams to pick from for your spectate - like behind the cars, or in the stands, or up near the track behind the barrier etc.

You should receive an alarm that it's your run next, then when it's your run, you find yourself in your car ready to pull up, warm your tires and pull up to the lights!
#9 - neRu
Ball Bearing Turbo +1 - it wouldn't be that hard to program... Or something like that.
But that would be a nice feature, indeed.
Despite having never run drag in LFS (just 18 more days of demo to go!), I have seen drag movies. I agree that this idea would add to the drag experience, and give it more of a draw than currently.

+1
Good idea, but drag will be silly until there's the starting in neutral/false starts thing. Be ace for normal racing too.
Its a good idea, and I would welcome it.

Trouble is, all the cars are identical mechanically, there are no variables apart from suspension and gearing. If you could tune your engine *lets not start a fight here* it would make more sense, to me at least.

The option for bracket racing should be added to, instead of just heads up drags all the time.

All the above ideas sound great too. I haven't done much drag racing in S2 but it was fun for a little while in S1. These ideas would make it TONS better.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :This would be the cat's meow

I'm not sure how it works now (admittedly I've never dragged online), but there should be a queue system set up so that you come out of spectate and race when it's your "turn", just like IRL. Then Drag servers could have a ton of people join and it would be like going to the track on the weekend. This would make the drag mode much more appealing and condusive to controlled online runs. It might even be fun!

The trap speed / time should be on big readouts down the track for spectators to see also, maybe even a couple predefined cams to pick from for your spectate - like behind the cars, or in the stands, or up near the track behind the barrier etc.

You should receive an alarm that it's your run next, then when it's your run, you find yourself in your car ready to pull up, warm your tires and pull up to the lights!

+100!!!

That would be SO awesome. If some how it could be engineered so that it had a return lane, that would keep the flow going. I've drawn something below which might've been a total waste of time because this is all impossible, but i don't think anythings impossible with programming, right?

The blue area is the "spawn" point. Where people go when join the server.
The grey area is the warmup point. Now, this is where you warm your tyres, but it's also the staging area. I'm sure the question of "how do you tell the server to activate the race?" has been thought by many of you, and why couldn't this warmup area be the activation point? So in order to start a "race" you would need two cars to be in this area, the server then "resets" to reset the clock. These two cars in the warmup area need to stage properly like in real drag racing and then the lights go green and they're off!

They finish the "lap" and the server says "race finished" displaying times. The two cars then return down the return lane on the right hand side and the next two cars need to then activate the race start by going into the gray area, thus beginning a new race.

We could have a pits along the area down the bottom so it seems a little more realistic with entering the garage. The yellow part at the end of the track is just a sand pit for those really speedy drags

What do ya's think? I don't know if i'm being completely ignorant here, but hey if it's possible, i'm willing to help with ideas on how to possibly tackle problems!
Attached images
dragstrip.jpg
Simply the ability to red light would make drag racing much more fun, then you would actually have to have a good reaction time rather than just holding down the gas like it is now. I think this should be the first addition to drag racing before any of the other suggestions.
Definately.... we're blowing it right of the water. But if no-one suggests it, it's got no chance of ever happening. Just putting some ideas out there in the hope that one day, it'll happen

I agree though, one awesome thing at a time!
There is a return lane right now, it's just useless that's all
Quote from NetDemon01 :The option for bracket racing should be added to, instead of just heads up drags all the time.

Just what I was thinking.
What would the point of bracket racing be when everyone can race EXACTLY the same car? All it would do would introduce how well you can sandbag.
What is bracket racing?
(Taking a guess here) I think it's like the world cup is run when it gets to the quarter-finals, two people race against each other then the winner goes through to the next round to race against the winner of another race and so on. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
At least I think he was refering to bracket racing where instead of racing the guy next to you to see who can get the fastest time, you see who can get closest to a 'dial in' time that you guess before hand without going any faster than that time. It basically allows cars that are not equal in horsepower or ET time to compete against each other, because it tests driver skill more than how much money you have dumped into your car to make it go fast in a straight line.
Quote from BrandonAGr :At least I think he was refering to bracket racing where instead of racing the guy next to you to see who can get the fastest time, you see who can get closest to a 'dial in' time that you guess before hand without going any faster than that time. It basically allows cars that are not equal in horsepower or ET time to compete against each other, because it tests driver skill more than how much money you have dumped into your car to make it go fast in a straight line.

Bingo! It brings in some skill and calculation. You would initially need to do some runs to figure out what your ET would be(this could be done offline). Then lets say you take out the slowest car LFS has and you run 17.919 and you run this consistently. You would set your ET as close to that time as possible, but it has to be less, so just say 17.8 to be safe. If you run faster than your ET then you 'breakout' and are disqualified for that run, kinda like redlighting. This brings in the reaction time too. A little example:

::Slow car::
ET: 18 s
Race starts
Reaction Time: .689 s
Race ends
Time: 17.89 s
Total: 18.579 s (adds in the reaction time to 17.89)
So you ran .579 s slower than your ET.

::Faster car::
ET: 10 s
Race stars
Reaction Time: .599 s
Race ends
Time 9.99 s
Total: 10.589
So you ran .589 slower than you ET

In the above example the slower car wins because he was .579 s off his ET while the faster car was .589 off his ET, both without breaking out.

With bracket racing, a slow car can run up against a fast car and still win even though the fast car passed the finish line first. The winner is the one who gets closest to their ET without breaking out.
i think your idea of break-out racing is a bit odd.
/igorant mode on

i always thought that your material + your mental discipline (reaction time) makes the whole thing work.
Instead i read about "get closest but NOT over a certain threshold"...
drag?
naahhh....

/igorant mode off
No, netdemon got it pretty much right although there is another form of bracket racing.

You dial in your time say 18secs and the competitor dials in say 14secs

Now because you have the slower car you get a head start of 4secs but if you go under your bracket you get redlighted.

Although the way netdemon described is how most pro races are run.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG