The online racing simulator
Oval Bible
(37 posts, started )
Jati, I think you should join iRacing, the Dallara DW12 IndyCar is perfect for you, and you can join the pretentious oval elitists and put them to shame Smile
Nah, i dont like to race with my wallet, better stay LFS where i am already a legend.
Quote from ymeshulin :I guess this will not be a popular response, but I disagree with pretty much everything the author says about passing on an oval.

Sure, forcing a pass, trying silly 8-wide passes is a true sign of a noob (imbecile, crasher, etc.), however I personally believe in passing everywhere where you can complete the pass without forcing fellow drivers into a crash avoidance mode. In other words, if you are confident (IMPORTANT: AND have enough skills) you can pass 3 cars in T3 - go ahead, and do it.

The big problem of LFS is that the drafting effects of all cars are greatly exaggerated, making oval racing a joke. As a result, oval races turn into an excercise of making sure you're 2nd or 3rd coming out of T3 on the last lap. Qualifying makes no sense, strategy has no place in these races, even driving as such is not overly important - just keep your car straight, stay with the pack, cruise for 399 laps and then make your first and only move.

Some comments about the screenshots provided by the author:

01. I see nothing wrong in the "Example of bad driving", apart from driving on an apron. It has to be said, that this type of driving can only be acceptable when everybody around knows what they are doing. My rule is: even if you are racing against an idiot, never teach him lessons - let him get back onto the track, as this will lessen the chance of him wiping out the entire field. However, if everybody has skills, why not do something hardcore on the last lap? Or, is this a gentleman's cruising club?

02. I don't see a problem with what the author calls "Drop pass". Again, only true if you're confident you are racing against experienced drivers. Having raced on LFS servers for around a year, I figure the biggest issue is the noobs' inability to see / hear / know what's happening around them. For instance, if a car disappears from my mirror, I am sure it's now either on my left, or my right. Noobs completely ignore this idea, and continue to drive as if they do solo hotlapping - they turn into the corner like there's no tomorrow. Again, if you are racing against experienced folks who know what's going on, you can do more hard racing.

03. What's so wrong with T3? A great corner, which can create some unorthodox moves. Cars with less grip may want to take the outside, more banked part of the track to scrub less speed, where faster cars with more grip stick to the bottom. It's a double apex corner, and after you have learned how your competitors drive that turn, you can play around that and plan some moves.

That's my take on oval racing in general and this post in particular. Any opinions are warmly welcomed.

Good thinking, Draft effect in lfs is strong and thats why we race ky1 like we are thats most effect way, Rockinham oval makes drafting a bit more realistick imo.
Oval racing lfs is joke i agree but that is because lack of experienced drivers, "strategy has no place in these races" i disagree its all about cooperate, you can easily win race if you are smart enough, it is chess game really, you have to read everything on track.
"oval races turn into an excercise of making sure you're 2nd or 3rd coming out of T3 on the last lap"
That what it is but not necessary at T3. like i said if you are smart.
"even driving as such is not overly important - just keep your car straight, stay with the pack, cruise for 399 laps and then make your first and only move"
That pretty much it is, but not always everything can happen.
About screenshots=
01.these drivers are not skilled. Screenshot was taken early laps of 100 lap race.. finaly they end up crash at t3 and take half field of cars with them. sure can be fun if skilled drivers, but not in LFS Wink
02.Drop pass as i call it, means it is very late pass almost like divebomb, other cars have to slightly give room for the passer, that is what we always do, but it depends, it's allso about trust. if you done 10000 laps with someone you know etxactly where he is and what he is gonna do. You mention mirrors funny but at least i dont use them because of my FOV. Sometimes i turn head left/righ instead.
03.Nothing wrong at this pic it just isnt a drop pass. It is a normal pass where 1 car passes group of cars at their LEFT side, no way you can pass outside there at this situation, and if you try you are idiot. But yeah most often we play around and try to take others outside here too at last lap, just for fun, but certainly it should not happen at race.
Quote from Jatimc :Nah, i dont like to race with my wallet, better stay LFS where i am already a legend.

write oval bible for iracing news and get paid= free iracing kinda?
Quote from ymeshulin :Joined a server with the =36= clan racing GTRs, and I think I won my 2nd or 3rd race against them. Needless to say, I was lapping within 0.2s of the WR within my first 10 laps there.

Sounds like there will be new world records soon,if it was this easy to get near WR so soon! Tilt
Quote from ymeshulin :Easy. Stay around the edge of the top 10, observe what everybody is doing, be in a position to attack with 5-10 laps to go, and go. With the current aero model in LFS it makes no sense to race your guts out racing for lead every lap, when it only takes half a straight to get re-passed.

You have obviously never been in an organized oval race in LFS before.
Quote from ymeshulin :I wonder if anyone is organizing them nowadays...

I'd love to do an 200-300 mile oval race at Rockingham.

Cornys was planning to organize a 200 lap event with FZR but not enough people showed interest (probably due to a short time after S3 release).

I'd also like to do a long race on Rockingham, preferably with full course cautions... *winks at dekojester* Rockingham 250 with XRT would be nice. The question is if there's enough S3 oval drivers to fill a full grid.
Quote from ymeshulin :Joined a server with the =36= clan racing GTRs, and I think I won my 2nd or 3rd race against them. Needless to say, I was lapping within 0.2s of the WR within my first 10 laps there. So please, do not disqualify anybody as being lame based purely on seat time with a particular car / track combo.

Depending on the car and setup, as I have actually said in my post. Ever tried making it through T3 on the inside in XRT? Outside line is 10-15kmh faster, which more than makes up for the bigger radius. Plus, greater speed on exit, therefore huge gain on the run into T1.

Of course, with grippier cars, racing on the outside makes no sense.

If you say that online lap count stats are a clear indication of one's actual skills, this is by far the biggest load of limb-wristed twaddle I have heard in the last 5 years.

Trust me, my friend, if you have good solid experience racing ovals in proper oval sims (Papyrus NR2003 can even be a great benchmark), it takes literally 5-7 laps at Kyoto against human opponents to figure out the aero element of the game.

No worries mate, we're just having a friendly debate. :-)

Easy. Stay around the edge of the top 10, observe what everybody is doing, be in a position to attack with 5-10 laps to go, and go. With the current aero model in LFS it makes no sense to race your guts out racing for lead every lap, when it only takes half a straight to get re-passed.

-->Well actually we did race a few races I see now the 16th of september 2015, You won 1 race which you were the only 1 car to finish, but nvm, and no you were not lapping within 0.2s of the WR( that is not easy to do online while running the race line), more like within 0.3-0.4 when you were driving solo no,

-->Yes correct, I meant slick tire cars though and not road cars like the XRT, but no I am not so familiar with the XRT Tilt

-->Yes and no, here is why, online laps running in tight formations with cars all around you versus offline solo running, yes there is a world of difference and the importance of having experience + a lot of laps running online with other drivers is massive,

-->Well dont get me wrong, I remember you as a quick learner that 1 day, its just that it does not just take 5-7 laps to learn how to go really fast around KY1 and fast is 1 second quicker than the WR when drafting,

-->Yes a friendly debateRazz

-->No, when the lead pack 2-5 cars are lapping half a sec faster than the rest you wont ever get a chance to attack with 5-10 laps to go as that lead would be far too big,Shrug

Also I am a big supporter of outside passes and would never deem such an act illegal, its more exiting and fun especially when you do it to this jatimc guy every race and he cries afterwards,Rofl
Quote from ymeshulin :Easy. Stay around the edge of the top 10, observe what everybody is doing, be in a position to attack with 5-10 laps to go, and go. With the current aero model in LFS it makes no sense to race your guts out racing for lead every lap, when it only takes half a straight to get re-passed.

Won't happen.
Quote from lamerr :Also I am a big supporter of outside passes and would never deem such an act illegal, its more exiting and fun especially when you do it to this jatimc guy every race and he cries afterwards,Rofl

Looney
Quote from Flame CZE :Cornys was planning to organize a 200 lap event with FZR but not enough people showed interest (probably due to a short time after S3 release).

I'd also like to do a long race on Rockingham, preferably with full course cautions... *winks at dekojester* Rockingham 250 with XRT would be nice. The question is if there's enough S3 oval drivers to fill a full grid.

When this was posted I had zero laps on that track.
ctually, it is still 0 on RO oval. Tilt I think for many others too..
Also 1.1 was bit strange date..
Road tracks are fun to drive even alone, but oval is super boring if nobody knows how to drive it and the field spreads.
Personally I do not really care what is name of the event, or who hosts it. Since it needs several people to run maybe organizers can work together or so.
Maybe I'll put one together later this month Smile It was just the best time for me to put it together. I haven't had a lot of time recently. Heck, I've only been posting on here from work recently Wink... like now Smile

Anyways, I need to test and find what car would be best on the Rockingham oval. I always thought that the FZR was the best at Kyoto, but I'm convinced that this isn't the case at Rockingham. Smile

Oval Bible
(37 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG