The online racing simulator
#1 - Khiro
Some easy things to improve LFS
I think that there are some things that could be easy to code for lfs that will improve in a great way. Of course almost all of us wants the new physics model for the tyres and, why not, better graphics, but they are things that requiere very much time programing. ( I have fogotten how many years from the first time Scawen said that he was doing a new tyre model). I know/suposse that the things I`ll propose can be done with external addons, I've tryed some of them and I think they aren't as easy to use as should be, and having theme integrated into de main software could do the live easier for some of us:

-Champioship mode: not al of us have the time to play a league online, and a chapionship "solo" mode (not carrear, that could be more complex) will made us happy. With options for selection the car and classes for the chapionship (all IA with the same car as the player / teh IA with the same class / or mixed classes with puntuation divided for the classes), Number of the laps or time duration of the races, number of races, selection of the circuits (maybe with some premade divisions for fast chapionship creation, for example, long circuits/ medium circuits /short circuits), set up te obligation or not to pit during the race. And, of course, an option to save the progress of the chapionship

-Lap Charts: No only for races, also for practices. It's great to see after a stint of laps how change the laps time as the tyre gets temperature and start having degradation, and also how affects the fuel consumption to the laps times. I ussed time ago a addon for that, but I only could made it work a few times.

I know that many people see has an heresi play with the IA in LFS and not playing online, but as I said, not everyone have the time, and many time is very funny see the strange things that do the IA during a race.

Of course, they are welcome any contribution that can help for doing these thing in a easy way (install, configure INSIM port, excute addon, execute LFS) or in a extreme easy way (install, execute LFS Big grin )
There were many servers online for similar things....point based races...point based lap times....
Also many online way of comparing races/laps/times/etc...

The AI players (Artificial Intelligence) in the game are not very good (same as many racing/driving games). Better to play online and then you can compare to other real people.
#3 - Khiro
Quote from Anthoop :There were many servers online for similar things....point based races...point based lap times....
Also many online way of comparing races/laps/times/etc...

The AI players (Artificial Intelligence) in the game are not very good (same as many racing/driving games). Better to play online and then you can compare to other real people.

I know there are online servers and leagues where you can do almost everthing. What I propose is to have it offline. The IA is not the best, but is better than nothing, and have an offline champioship and lap charts inside de LFS is not the hardest thing to code and will let many people to enjoy the game in a different way. It`s only an addon, not to change the philosophy of the game
Hm, these things mostly do not really exist for online racing either.
The events/championships/statistics etc are mostly managed outside LFS, with the help of scripting or sometimes software like Excel. For offline you could do similiar, if you wish to do so.
Not sure if all tools work the same way in offline, might have to look around a bit.
Making new tools if required is an option too, if you think it is so easy give it a try Wink
#5 - Khiro
Quote from Gutholz :Hm, these things mostly do not really exist for online racing either.
The events/championships/statistics etc are mostly managed outside LFS, with the help of scripting or sometimes software like Excel. For offline you could do similiar, if you wish to do so.
Not sure if all tools work the same way in offline, might have to look around a bit.
Making new tools if required is an option too, if you think it is so easy give it a try Wink

I'm not a programer, and in the case I'were, I have not access to de source code of the game, so is like imposible for me or for almost everyone to integrate that into de main software. What I mean saying that "is easy" is that compared with some of the improvements that the people ask (new physics, new graphics, etc...) is something very simple for Scawen.

I've read some post witten many time ago of people asking an Offline championship, so I'dont think that I'm the only one on Earth that should be happy if in the future LFS have that. And about the lap charts(a simple table with the times of every lap and sectors of a session), I think that could be something that almost everyone could take advantage of.
I think it is unlikely that these things will be added into the game directly....as said there are add-ons...and many of them.

About lap/sector times...
There are add-ons that I "think" work offline but you need to check to be sure (sorry my hazy memory). Smile
https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/85771-LFSLazy
I think laptimes he means like what you can see on lfsworld, graph/table where you can see if you went faster towards end of race etc.

Or like mpRes:

Does LFSlazy have that? (at least it is not mentioned in thread)

LFS-stats might work because it does not read the replay files but uses insim Messages.

I thought one could just local/private MP Server, add AIs and then use the multiplayer Tools.
But on Server you can only add 5 AI per Client or so, so that is not so good solution. Shrug

Perhaps post in Addons Forum and someone might pick up the idea...
#8 - Khiro
Quote from Gutholz :I think laptimes he means like what you can see on lfsworld, graph/table where you can see if you went faster towards end of race etc.

Or like mpRes:

Does LFSlazy have that? (at least it is not mentioned in thread)

LFS-stats might work because it does not read the replay files but uses insim Messages.

I thought one could just local/private MP Server, add AIs and then use the multiplayer Tools.
But on Server you can only add 5 AI per Client or so, so that is not so good solution. Shrug

Perhaps post in Addons Forum and someone might pick up the idea...

What mpRes does is fantastic, I should try that. Some time ago I found something similar that creates and excell and you can see every lap o every player in the race (even IA), but it was generated from a replay outside LFS.

But there is people that simply don't search in forums for an addon, or are not able to install an make it work. Because that my asking is about to be something intregrated into LFS, something easy and that works allways...
How can you say something is easy when you cannot do it yourself?
Quote from Khiro :
But there is people that simply don't search in forums for an addon, or are not able to install an make it work. Because that my asking is about to be something intregrated into LFS, something easy and that works allways...

That particular thing is not that hard to implement (since even I could do something similar huh )

But the thing is, putting every possible feature will take so much time to make it right, then some people might not even like it in some particular aspects. I wouldn't be against this stuff, yet I don't feel like I want developers to spend their time exactly on this thing.

TL;DR, use addons, since thats why Insim protocol was made -- so that developers can focus on things they have interest in.
Quote from Khiro :-Champioship mode: not al of us have the time to play a league online, and a chapionship "solo" mode (not carrear, that could be more complex) will made us happy. With options for selection the car and classes for the chapionship (all IA with the same car as the player / teh IA with the same class / or mixed classes with puntuation divided for the classes), Number of the laps or time duration of the races, number of races, selection of the circuits (maybe with some premade divisions for fast chapionship creation, for example, long circuits/ medium circuits /short circuits), set up te obligation or not to pit during the race. And, of course, an option to save the progress of the chapionship

I completely agree with this. Being an occasional off line player these days, a way of creating simple championships against the AI would add a lot to the game for me. I would LOVE this feature.
Insims also work local and offline
Yeah, but sadly a lot more needs to happen before you can say a lap is 'clean'. Drafting behind another car for example.

Then it will work on normal tracks. The challenging bit are the custom tracks.
Quote from cargame.nl :Yeah, but sadly a lot more needs to happen before you can say a lap is 'clean'. Drafting behind another car for example.

Then it will work on normal tracks. The challenging bit are the custom tracks.

If you're talking about my insim, then I must clarify that it has draft checking (it is done kinda straightforward, so lap counts drafted if car in front is above 60km/hour and less than 40 meters ahead).

Checking custom layouts is a great challenge indeed - track creators can come up with a lot of ideas and moreover Insim protocol is not really complete enough to compute 100% legitimate checking. Airio developers have put a lot of effort to create their AIRW checking but yet it is way far from being easy to apply on custom layouts.
Quote from vitaly_m :
If you're talking about my insim, then I must clarify that it has draft checking (it is done kinda straightforward, so lap counts drafted if car in front is above 60km/hour and less than 40 meters ahead).

Ah OK Thumbs up

Some easy things to improve LFS
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG