The online racing simulator
A New Points System For F1
(51 posts, started )
#26 - wE1l
Quote from thisnameistaken :
Anyway, that's my take on it, I'm off to bed. Interesting idea, but I don't like it

Here's another one: How about awarding points according to how many seconds behind the leader you finish? Then whoever is in the lead of the race would want to push all the way to the finish to maximise his points, and everybody else would have to chase just as hard. Plus it would be easy to see how many points someone is going to score at any point in the race.

Thanks for rating it as "interesting", all I can say is see my reasoning why it's superior to the current one and hopefully you will like it.

As for your proposal, believe it or not, it's exactly what I thought some months ago! Basically I wrote in a thread somewhere that apart from the fixed final standing awards, the runner-up should be awarded 1 or 2 extra points for getting within 10 or 5 seconds of the winner. Heck, no wonder they say great minds think alike!
Quote from wE1l :Like Kimi at the 'Ring, last year. He drove a fantastic race, from second on the grid, and led for most of the race. But his front suspension failed him on the very last lap, so even though he was still 'classified', (in 11th place), he received zero points, for what was a truly valiant effort.
Zero points is by no stretch of the imagination what Kimi deserved for putting in that fantastic drive.

His suspension braking was a cause of his own actions ...

You cant give out points according to effort. Imagine if it was the same with football, one team leads for 80mins ... with 5mins to go the other team equalise, in the last min they then get the winner. You wouldnt give the other team leading for 80mins any points ... "you didnt win the match, but you put in a lot of effort, thats worth 1.2759 points" illepall
#28 - wE1l
Quote from VALE 46 :Why would they want to change the point system, whats wrong with it as it is

The unbearable lightness of the current one is that people are informed of the who's the champion with 10 races to go.

And, more unbearably, like this year, a 21 pts deficit means Alonso only need to finish ahead of Schu in only one races to win the title, even if Schu goes on to win ALL the remaining 10 races.

Quote from VALE 46 :
Your way is too complicated to work out quickly ... so anyone new to F1 will probably not understand and not watch again.

As I said, a real time provisional pts chart could be provided occasionally on the TV screen and live timing to give us a clear view of who is in front for longer! We don't have to do any maths, and one thing we know for sure is who stays ahead scores more.

Quote from VALE 46 :As said all ready, passing near the end, or on the final lap is basically pointless (<-- get it :chairfall) and thats what is most exciting, a close finish.

On the contrary of pointless if that's for the win.
#29 - wE1l
Quote from VALE 46 :His suspension braking was a cause of his own actions ...

You cant give out points according to effort. Imagine if it was the same with football, one team leads for 80mins ... with 5mins to go the other team equalise, in the last min they then get the winner. You wouldnt give the other team leading for 80mins any points ... "you didnt win the match, but you put in a lot of effort, thats worth 1.2759 points" illepall

OK not 100% appropriate an example. Then how about Webber and Raikkonen at Monaco this year?

Thank goodness this is NOT football. Completely different situation please don't mix them up.
To follow on from Kevs suggestion: perhaps, use a system they have in track cycling, i'e every few laps, the person in last place is eliminated from the race.

But seriously, i understand your concept wE, but unfortunately, it would'nt be practical, yeah it may make things exciting from a statistical point of view, but at the end of the day F1 is a sport, and like all sports, sometimes it's fare and sometimes it's not.
Thats why God invented both pubs and internet forum's, so we can argue till we're all blue in the face, who/what/why/when and where is the BEST !. If we reduced everything down to statistics and let mere numbers decided, then we're stepping into Matrix territory, and life would be a very boring concept, (and Becky Rose, would have no-one to argue with.) Would you want that to happen.

I've been involved in various sport's all my life, and i've been an avid F1 fan since the late 70's ( i'm old) and alot of the time, it can be very very boring, but, there are time's when something very very magical happens, i.e Senna's 1st lap at Donnington, in 1980...whatever ?.... or Ben Johnson smashing the Wr in Seoul in 1980... something ? Or even McEnroe v Borg at Wimbledon in ..... that year they played ??, and remember Stirling Moss, the greatest F1 driver never to have won a Championship.

Personally i can give you a bucketfull of personal sob stories where i was hard done by, both on and off the "sports field", but, thats life, sometimes it's not fare, sometimes things happen that seem unjust, but, you simply accept it and get on with it.

To change the point's system in F1 to make it more exciting and reward the "better" driver's is, in my opinion, missing the true essence of the sport.
And, another thing, who decide's who the better drivers are ?, the more aggressive one's, the steady reliable one's, the insane nutter's who crash into everyone else in order to win ?
Perhaps having a panel of judges at track side giving artistic merit points is the way to go (sorry, another cheesy unfunny joke there )

It's a very well thought out system, it show's you have a very keen mind, and an obvious passion for the sport, but, as i say, it simply wouldnt be practical for todays F1.

However, it may work in LFS league race's (not that i've ever taken part in one )
#31 - wE1l
Quote from Mazz4200 :To follow on from Kevs suggestion: perhaps, use a system they have in track cycling, i'e every few laps, the person in last place is eliminated from the race.

But seriously, i understand your concept wE, but unfortunately, it would'nt be practical, yeah it may make things exciting from a statistical point of view, but at the end of the day F1 is a sport, and like all sports, sometimes it's fare and sometimes it's not.
Thats why God invented both pubs and internet forum's, so we can argue till we're all blue in the face, who/what/why/when and where is the BEST !. If we reduced everything down to statistics and let mere numbers decided, then we're stepping into Matrix territory, and life would be a very boring concept, (and Becky Rose, would have no-one to argue with.) Would you want that to happen.

I've been involved in various sport's all my life, and i've been an avid F1 fan since the late 70's ( i'm old) and alot of the time, it can be very very boring, but, there are time's when something very very magical happens, i.e Senna's 1st lap at Donnington, in 1980...whatever ?.... or Ben Johnson smashing the Wr in Seoul in 1980... something ? Or even McEnroe v Borg at Wimbledon in ..... that year they played ??, and remember Stirling Moss, the greatest F1 driver never to have won a Championship.

Personally i can give you a bucketfull of personal sob stories where i was hard done by, both on and off the "sports field", but, thats life, sometimes it's not fare, sometimes things happen that seem unjust, but, you simply accept it and get on with it.

To change the point's system in F1 to make it more exciting and reward the "better" driver's is, in my opinion, missing the true essence of the sport.
And, another thing, who decide's who the better drivers are ?, the more aggressive one's, the steady reliable one's, the insane nutter's who crash into everyone else in order to win ?
Perhaps having a panel of judges at track side giving artistic merit points is the way to go (sorry, another cheesy unfunny joke there )

It's a very well thought out system, it show's you have a very keen mind, and an obvious passion for the sport, but, as i say, it simply wouldnt be practical for todays F1.

However, it may work in LFS league race's (not that i've ever taken part in one )

What a post Mazz!

In all honesty if I was told of such a system I'd doubt it would work just as you do. And impractical may well be my first impression on this system. However we are not always right with our first impressions, and many opportunities are missed because of that. Oh, I should constrain from digressing.

In fact I think you misunderstand my purpose a little bit. Maybe my recurring claim that every effort should be awarded is the reason, but I simply think of this as a way to have a more interesting championship. Fairness of the sport isn't really my main focus.

I am really curious to hear about your theory as to what is the true essence of racing tho, since I don't think this system is in any way contravening it. What I see is that despite potential weaknesses, it does good for the sport. While I too feel the need for track-side judges to give out artistic points whenever I think about Sir Stirling Moss, it really doesn't prevent me from supporting the finding of a better evaluation system for racing.

Practical or impractical, it most likely won't ever come to F1, it is just something in my leisure time that I came across and wanted to talk about with people who are acknowledgable as you. But with a thorough bombardment of FIA's email, let's hope they will use it.
Lol, i like you wE1l.

It's very very late here, (dread to think what time it is for you), so, i'll be brief, and pick this up again after a good sleep

"The Championship" is a relatively new concept in motorsport, (most sports come to think of it). In F1 it began in the 50's, so we had well over 50 yrs of racing ,before someone had the notion to correlate the results over a number of race's in a year to determine the "best" driver and manufacturer.
Even in the formative yrs of F1 (i.e the first 20), there were many non-championship race's on the calender, i.e no point's, only the prestige, and the money, hence "The Big Prize", and for the drivers the thrill of driving a state of the art racing car on the limit without the added pressure of driver's and manufacture's points. There has even been talk within the FIA to include non-championship race's in modern F1, i.e Russia, and New York City
And this is what i believe is the essence of all sport's, (not just motorsport), the thrill of the competition, the adrenalin that pumps through your system when you take part and give everything you've got, the absolute joy at crossing the finish line first, seeing all the hard work that you put into behind the scene coming to fruition, all those sacrifice's you've made for that one glorious moment. And, if you dont win, the determination that wells up within you to try even harder next time.
As a teenager i competed in both athletics and skiing at a national level, and raced against a few lads who went on to become well known sporting champions. But, we never went through all that endless mindnumbingly boring training sessions for the race point's, or the money, (back then there was'nt any ), we did it for the love of the sport, and especially in the skiing, for the adrenalin rush of blasting down a snow covered mountain at 60mph with two planks of wood bolted to your feet illepall and that very special and unique feeling you get when you carve a perfect turn, just before you take a 60 foot leap off a roller (ahh...happy days)
Sorry, i digress
ermmm...

Yeah, the essence of motorsport. In many ways the Championship point tally, has had a detrimental effect on the drivers psychology towards the race, i.e they can focus on the year as a whole and not on each race, and this can in itself lead to boring race's. Some of the best race's i've seen have been after the Championship has been decided, remember Suzuka last Year !, if Alonso needed points to become Champion, do you think he would really attempt the overtaking maneuver on Schui at the 130r ??

The essence of motorsport, is purely man and machine in perfect harmony, and going as fast as each other allow, at any given time, sounds trite, but thats it, this is also why i hate the ruling of making an engine last two race's, who wants to see the leader lapping 4 sec's of the pace at the end of a race so his engine will be ok for the next GP.

Personally i hate it when drivers settle for 3rd place, straight after his last pitstop coz it wont harm his championship tally, thats boring.

Maybe a solution is to change the points to 20, 15, 10, 6, 4, 2, with 1 point for pole, and maybe a couple of points for fastest lap, (dunno, just think of the top of my head)

Ohhh, just realised how much i've written, perhaps i'll finish this later, need sleep.

But you may have gathered i tend to look at life a tad differently from alot of folk in here, think it's mainly down to not being technically minded, (computer's bewilder me) and a few things have happened that make's me see things from a slightly different perspective, it's just, i have a big problem with judging things by numbers, and statistics prove nothing. (i could talk for hours about some of my real life event's where i've been mis-judged by statistics and lumped into situation's that i should'nt have been in, but i wont )

Need sleep, back later :sleep2:

And please remember this is only my personal opinion, it dont mean i'm right.
#33 - JJ72
Come on guys...racing is about who finish the distance first.....oh well maybe they are doing this for Jenson Button who tend to retire a few hundred metres off the line......

Just BS...how are we going to know who is winning during the live broadcast....
I hope this points system didn't take you too long to type up because it really was pointless and a complete waste of time..

Sorry if that's harsh, but it's the truth.
#35 - wE1l
Quote from Mazz4200 :Lol, i like you wE1l.

It's very very late here, (dread to think what time it is for you), so, i'll be brief, and pick this up again after a good sleep

"The Championship" is a relatively new concept in motorsport, (most sports come to think of it). In F1 it began in the 50's, so we had well over 50 yrs of racing ,before someone had the notion to correlate the results over a number of race's in a year to determine the "best" driver and manufacturer.
Even in the formative yrs of F1 (i.e the first 20), there were many non-championship race's on the calender, i.e no point's, only the prestige, and the money, hence "The Big Prize", and for the drivers the thrill of driving a state of the art racing car on the limit without the added pressure of driver's and manufacture's points. There has even been talk within the FIA to include non-championship race's in modern F1, i.e Russia, and New York City
And this is what i believe is the essence of all sport's, (not just motorsport), the thrill of the competition, the adrenalin that pumps through your system when you take part and give everything you've got, the absolute joy at crossing the finish line first, seeing all the hard work that you put into behind the scene coming to fruition, all those sacrifice's you've made for that one glorious moment. And, if you dont win, the determination that wells up within you to try even harder next time.
As a teenager i competed in both athletics and skiing at a national level, and raced against a few lads who went on to become well known sporting champions. But, we never went through all that endless mindnumbingly boring training sessions for the race point's, or the money, (back then there was'nt any ), we did it for the love of the sport, and especially in the skiing, for the adrenalin rush of blasting down a snow covered mountain at 60mph with two planks of wood bolted to your feet illepall and that very special and unique feeling you get when you carve a perfect turn, just before you take a 60 foot leap off a roller (ahh...happy days)
Sorry, i digress
ermmm...

Yeah, the essence of motorsport. In many ways the Championship point tally, has had a detrimental effect on the drivers psychology towards the race, i.e they can focus on the year as a whole and not on each race, and this can in itself lead to boring race's. Some of the best race's i've seen have been after the Championship has been decided, remember Suzuka last Year !, if Alonso needed points to become Champion, do you think he would really attempt the overtaking maneuver on Schui at the 130r ??

The essence of motorsport, is purely man and machine in perfect harmony, and going as fast as each other allow, at any given time, sounds trite, but thats it, this is also why i hate the ruling of making an engine last two race's, who wants to see the leader lapping 4 sec's of the pace at the end of a race so his engine will be ok for the next GP.

Personally i hate it when drivers settle for 3rd place, straight after his last pitstop coz it wont harm his championship tally, thats boring.

Maybe a solution is to change the points to 20, 15, 10, 6, 4, 2, with 1 point for pole, and maybe a couple of points for fastest lap, (dunno, just think of the top of my head)

Ohhh, just realised how much i've written, perhaps i'll finish this later, need sleep.

But you may have gathered i tend to look at life a tad differently from alot of folk in here, think it's mainly down to not being technically minded, (computer's bewilder me) and a few things have happened that make's me see things from a slightly different perspective, it's just, i have a big problem with judging things by numbers, and statistics prove nothing. (i could talk for hours about some of my real life event's where i've been mis-judged by statistics and lumped into situation's that i should'nt have been in, but i wont )

Need sleep, back later :sleep2:

And please remember this is only my personal opinion, it dont mean i'm right.

Seriously, I am enthralled. And I'd wish you've digressed more.

In a way your a different creature from us lot. I like the way you combine your personal experiences and historic facts together to explain what sport is about, it just couldn't be done any better. Although I neither have ever watched a non-championship race, nor competed at a national level of anything, I certainly know of a time when sex was safe and F1 was dangerous. But things change. From the beginning I know F1 as a year long title competition with races and points to decide the winner. I don't know the specific reasons how it changes into what it is now, but honestly I don't think one could rightly say it's a setback to the sport. We are not missing the raw thrills of the sport, in fact with the introduction of a year long title race we are able to enjoy many greatest duels among the best, leaving us enchanting stories which will later become legends.

I do think the way the current drivers act are in a way different to those past drivers in F1, especially with championship in mind, they will be very cautious and acting in a calculated way. But the challenge they face is not an inch short of that the past drivers faced, with the ultimate test being the championship, the drivers simply have to maximize their performances in every and each race.

However, the current points system along with some other stupid rules decides sometimes a race is boring. But hey, that's exactly why I started the thread in the first place, which I think successfully settled the problem for lack of action in a race. Let me quote one of my much loved lines of your posts:"The essence of motorsport, is purely man and machine in perfect harmony, and going as fast as each other allow, at any given time." How significant it is for my proposal to make better sense. I think that's what racing is all about---to drive flatout wherever you can, not slowing a single bit for the whole distance, and fighting for positions beating your foes throughout the race. And that's what this system is focusing on and rewarding towards.

Give my proposal a second thought, it offers something a fixed points system that rewards only the final positions can't provide.
#36 - wE1l
Quote from JJ72 :Come on guys...racing is about who finish the distance first.....oh well maybe they are doing this for Jenson Button who tend to retire a few hundred metres off the line......

Just BS...how are we going to know who is winning during the live broadcast....

I am wondering what you mean by saying "how are we going to know who is winning during the live broadcast".
#37 - wE1l
Quote from Vancouver_Canuck :I hope this points system didn't take you too long to type up because it really was pointless and a complete waste of time..

Sorry if that's harsh, but it's the truth.

Pointless unless you get the point. A waste of time just as you do, every day.

Thanks for the kindness, but I feel sorry it's the truth for you.
Quote from wE1l :Pointless unless you get the point. A waste of time just as you do, every day.

Thanks for the kindness, but I feel sorry it's the truth for you.

Hi Well,

You seem to really believe in your system (saw you unleash it on Atlas F1 until bira closed you down ) but I think it would be a little too complicated to keep the viewers informed of the ongoing points situation during the race. FOM sometimes struggles with just timing graphics, so god knows how they'd manage to present the points live during the race. And those actually at the trackside would be completely lost.

I like the idea that a driver is encouraged to make up places and drivers get something even if they hit reliability problems, but I fear it would be just too complicated for most viewers.

Maybe a point system that gives points for all classified finishing positions, rather than just the first 8, and maybe even points for position at certain stages of the race, can help battle the apparent unfairness of being struck by unreliability. Having said that, it's motorsport, where the machinery and team have always been as much an influence on a drivers championship success as their talent.

I enjoy races as singular events anyway, and I'm not really bothered about the championship as such. Maybe that's because the point system usually only allows for 1 or 2 people to really have a chance, and a points system shake up might help, but I think it has to be simple enough for the average fan to know how the points are looking while watching the race.

Where as some people were hoping Alonso would suffer some bad luck late last season, to drag out the championship and keep Kimi in the fight, I was hoping he'd hurry up and win the bloody thing. Once it was out of the way, you knew they were all racing for themselves without helping teammates, playing it safe for points, or anything else that generally gets in the way of good old racing.
Firstly I have to appologise, I couldn't be bothered to read all of the thread.

The proposed system would encourage unreliable cars and we'd be left watching that Kyalami race all over again, or the German GP where most of the field went to carbon heaven in the first corner, or the American tyre fiasco GP where the simple amazement that it happened was more interesting than the entire grand prix in full compressed in to a 10 second information under-dose highlights programme.
Just a quickie...

Someone up there ^ has proved that you can get more points by being 2nd for a lot of the race and then finishing last, this would lead to drivers doing well (like Alonso) and then backing off completely in the last 10 laps to conserve engines etc., knowing that 'on average' it will have a very small effect on their points.

Another point is the effect on a drivers psyche when they finish the race first after passing someone on the last lap to find that 'on average' they still finished second (say the 2nd place man gets FL and the winner was not always in 2nd). Then who stands on the podium? The last lap, 'do or die', passer who crossed the line first under a checkered flag and his moment of glory....or the man who gave it up on the last lap and finished second but still gets the top step of the podium? Thats the essence of racing surely....first to the finish. Anything else becomes an extended time trial.
#41 - wE1l
Quote from Rob76 :Hi Well,

You seem to really believe in your system (saw you unleash it on Atlas F1 until bira closed you down ) but I think it would be a little too complicated to keep the viewers informed of the ongoing points situation during the race. FOM sometimes struggles with just timing graphics, so god knows how they'd manage to present the points live during the race. And those actually at the trackside would be completely lost.

I like the idea that a driver is encouraged to make up places and drivers get something even if they hit reliability problems, but I fear it would be just too complicated for most viewers.

Maybe a point system that gives points for all classified finishing positions, rather than just the first 8, and maybe even points for position at certain stages of the race, can help battle the apparent unfairness of being struck by unreliability. Having said that, it's motorsport, where the machinery and team have always been as much an influence on a drivers championship success as their talent.

I enjoy races as singular events anyway, and I'm not really bothered about the championship as such. Maybe that's because the point system usually only allows for 1 or 2 people to really have a chance, and a points system shake up might help, but I think it has to be simple enough for the average fan to know how the points are looking while watching the race.

Where as some people were hoping Alonso would suffer some bad luck late last season, to drag out the championship and keep Kimi in the fight, I was hoping he'd hurry up and win the bloody thing. Once it was out of the way, you knew they were all racing for themselves without helping teammates, playing it safe for points, or anything else that generally gets in the way of good old racing.

Hi Rob,

With computers I don't see is a big problem, all the FOM should do is to input on track positions lap by lap and have the software to do the summation. Even without computers, some 22 men each focusing on one driver would do.

I admire your pure racer logic, that races as singular events are the way to go. But we ain't get any nowadays except for when the championship is over. However, with my system championship it helps to get closer to the gold ole days. I suppose it will be good for you then.
#42 - wE1l
Quote from Becky Rose :Firstly I have to appologise, I couldn't be bothered to read all of the thread.

The proposed system would encourage unreliable cars and we'd be left watching that Kyalami race all over again, or the German GP where most of the field went to carbon heaven in the first corner, or the American tyre fiasco GP where the simple amazement that it happened was more interesting than the entire grand prix in full compressed in to a 10 second information under-dose highlights programme.

Hmm...it will encourage fast cars, if a team ignores reliability I doubt it could ever win a race.
#43 - wE1l
Quote from typhoonf1 :
Someone up there ^ has proved that you can get more points by being 2nd for a lot of the race and then finishing last, this would lead to drivers doing well (like Alonso) and then backing off completely in the last 10 laps to conserve engines etc., knowing that 'on average' it will have a very small effect on their points.

As already said above, settling for 2nd means you lose out 5 extra pts, or roughly 6 pts in total, or if the winner sets the FL 9 pts to the man in front of you. At this rate, Alonso's lead of 21 pts on the tally will be cut to only 2 pts with 2 races.

Quote from typhoonf1 :
Another point is the effect on a drivers psyche when they finish the race first after passing someone on the last lap to find that 'on average' they still finished second (say the 2nd place man gets FL and the winner was not always in 2nd). Then who stands on the podium? The last lap, 'do or die', passer who crossed the line first under a checkered flag and his moment of glory....or the man who gave it up on the last lap and finished second but still gets the top step of the podium? Thats the essence of racing surely....first to the finish. Anything else becomes an extended time trial.

You missed the all important part again my friend. It will be extremely abnormal for a winner not earning the most points, as the Japnese race last year shows. The podium men will always be the top 3 finishers, and the system can be tweaked to award podiums, for example a 5-2-1 distribution or other variations.

As for the essence of racing, it is not necessarily only the final position. As for the first to finish, yes this system will reward him big time.
Quote from wE1l :As for the essence of racing, it is not necessarily only the final position.

The essence of racing IS the final position. That's what all the drivers are aiming for in a race, the big cup at the end of the road. One of your examples mentioned Schumacher getting points after crashing out. If one crashed from his own driver error and no fault of equipment or other drivers, why should a driver be awarded any points at all? illepall
#45 - wE1l
Quote from cannonfodder :The essence of racing IS the final position. That's what all the drivers are aiming for in a race, the big cup at the end of the road. One of your examples mentioned Schumacher getting points after crashing out. If one crashed from his own driver error and no fault of equipment or other drivers, why should a driver be awarded any points at all? illepall

If you stick to your understanding firmly that points should be awarded by and only by the final positions, then there's really not much I could say, but then maybe the only thing you should do is to tune in just before they take the chequered flag to see the results.

Of course you don't do that, fans will be watching the action right from the start. But do you ever ask yourself why you have to watch the whole race when only the final position counts? This question ain't as dumb as it sounds. Think about it, racing is MORE than just to see who finishes where, the process of racing is as important as the final outcome of it. It was the passion to travel faster that inspired people to take part in a race, it was those brillliant moves done on the track that caught our eyes and something we were cheering for, it was the raw pace that was shown at any time in a race that got us excited and waiting for a close fight. This system not only rewards those who are ultimately the fastest, the winner, but also rewards those who actually do racing. I think we could well add final standing rewards for the top 6 or top 8 finishers, please don't be carried away that this system don't reward the final standings.

Schumacher at Melbourne just before he crashed out was the fastest man on track, among a lot others who were just also-runs and paraded for finish Schu gave us excitement and looked a big threat to Jenson. He showed his speed and drove exceptionally before his crash, he earned provisional pts in the process, OK he crashed, fair enough, he then lost any opportunity to score more, but what he had done can't be denied. When it's due, pay him!
Again, with football you dont turn over 5mins from the end to see the winner, same with any sport, you watch it because you enjoy watching it.

"Of course you don't do that, fans will be watching the action right from the start. But do you ever ask yourself why you have to watch the whole race when only the final position counts?"

It sounds like you dont want to watch it ... and no one's making you watch the whole race anyway
#47 - wE1l
Quote from VALE 46 :Again, with football you dont turn over 5mins from the end to see the winner, same with any sport, you watch it because you enjoy watching it.

"Of course you don't do that, fans will be watching the action right from the start. But do you ever ask yourself why you have to watch the whole race when only the final position counts?"

It sounds like you dont want to watch it ... and no one's making you watch the whole race anyway

On the contrary, I enjoy watching it, and with my proposal applied to the current F1, I think I will enjoy more. See where did you lose the plot?
#48 - JJ72
Quote from wE1l :Hi Rob,

With computers I don't see is a big problem, all the FOM should do is to input on track positions lap by lap and have the software to do the summation. Even without computers, some 22 men each focusing on one driver would do.

sorry but I think most of us will be completely lost when watching it on TV.

Since you have to basically keep track of all the field all the race in order to figure out vaguely who is where. OKAY we WILL be told who by calculation who is now first...but we cannot foresee the race outcome judging from what is shown on the track, there's simply too much to take in in the same time.....why....why make it complicated. Think simple.
#49 - JJ72
Quote from wE1l :Think about it, racing is MORE than just to see who finishes where, the process of racing is as important as the final outcome of it.

agreed, so why in your system the final outcome is of no importance at all.

I think the general reply to your suggestion already shown that it's overly complicated, if that's not enough to convince you this ain't that good of an idea for the spectators.
#50 - JJ72
Quote from wE1l :The unbearable lightness of the current one is that people are informed of the who's the champion with 10 races to go.

And, more unbearably, like this year, a 21 pts deficit means Alonso only need to finish ahead of Schu in only one races to win the title, even if Schu goes on to win ALL the remaining 10 races.

Do you realise the same can happen in whatever system? Including yours?

A New Points System For F1
(51 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG