Need advice for a VPS
(3 posts, started )
Need advice for a VPS
As you might know I'm working on the Sumo InSim. Now that that project is starting to get shape I'd like to move it into a proper 24/7 system. Right now I run the InSim from my own home server. Although that's 24/7, I think it's best that it's run at the same server as where the LFS host runs. Because our current LFS server is rented from lfs.net we can't run our custom InSim (can we?). Most LFS hosts don't allow this, or not in a way that's easy/fast for me to deploy.

Because there's also a SQL database running, with a website soon as well, I was thinking to just get a single server for everything. Because it's just a hobby project I don't want to spend too much money on it, and a quick Google search tells me that a VPS might be a good solution for my plans.

On websites like OVH and win-vps I've found some affordable Windows 2012 servers with specifications that sound enough for this project. I don't think a LFS server together with a simple website, database, and InSim will be that demanding on a system, right?

Ideally I want a host with RDP access so I can just set up everything to my likings and monitor the system. I'm thinking a Windows Server environment would be preferable for me since I am obviously familiar with the ecosystem, and I think it's easier to run the server and InSim on there since they're Windows applications.

Do people have experience with VPS hosts? What kind of freedom would I have? Ideally I'd just like a fresh install of WS2012 and do whatever I want on there.
Hello,

Quote :
LFS host runs. Because our current LFS server is rented from lfs.net we can't run our custom InSim (can we?)

Indeed, LFS Hosting does not allow you to host your own insim application, however other company's do.

Quote :
Because there's also a SQL database running, with a website soon as well, I was thinking to just get a single server for everything. Because it's just a hobby project I don't want to spend too much money on it, and a quick Google search tells me that a VPS might be a good solution for my plans.

Indeed, if this is your purpose a server might be "easier" for you, however if its just a server with a custom InSim there are easier solutions (in hosting)

Quote :
On websites like OVH and win-vps I've found some affordable Windows 2012 servers with specifications that sound enough for this project. I don't think a LFS server together with a simple website, database, and InSim will be that demanding on a system, right?

Those VPS's should be enough for your two first purposes (server + InSim) if you host the website in there too it might start struggling, it all depends on the resources it uses but if we you need Windows, you'll require way more resources than in a Linux (minimalist) VPS.

Regarding RDP, this should be possible with all Windows VPS's you buy anywhere as long as its not the commandline version of windows server.

Regards
VPS with Windows need to be more expensive to have power for serving Windows requirements.

You should host everything on Linux, so you can get same power for a fraction of cost.

Need advice for a VPS
(3 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG