The online racing simulator
Trick: How to copy objects from one track to another
Problem:
Coping objects from track A to track B.
For example one wants to copy (parts) of a layout from Blackwood Carpark (BL3) to South City (SO1)

Trick:
Renaming the layout files.

In example works like this:
  1. Rename your source layout to the track that you want to use:
    For example BL3_copySource.lyt -> SO1_temp.lyt

2. Load the temp layout in LFS editor.
    The objects will be there but they will be in strange locations: stuck in buildings or floating in air.
    (To see out where the objects ended up zoom out and enable edit-mode. With the selection-circles the objects are easy to find)

3. Select the objects you want to copy
    (ctrl + click)

4. Load the layout into which you want to insert the objects. (Use the "Load Layout" button from editor menu - do not go to track selection)

5. When the new layout is loaded, the previously selected objects are still attached to the mouse pointer.

6. Place the objects.

7. Save layout.

8. Repeat as nessecary...

Well,I assume some people have known this trick before ( I did way before, when wanted to make BL1R lyt to BL2R or BL2Y and so on), but it is good that you made a post of this. There will be at least something useful to make kind of these, so people try it out. Smile
#3 - lucaf
I use this also, but is there any way I could paste the copied objects easily in the original cordinates?
#4 - Racon
I'm working on a program to move things between layouts, and while there's a way to go yet, the first part I've done is useful for copying large numbers of objects from one track to another in situ.

Consider this a beta of an experiment, and adjust your expectations accordingly... proper docs will follow the finished program, which I'm working on here and there Wink

Quick guide: Load the old track, select the objects, click 'add selection', repeat until you have all your objects selected. The 'S' and 'H' buttons will show you a subgroup as a selection or in-hand respectively. Load the new track and you can now place each subgroup manually by using the 'H' button and the 'O' key, or, if the objects are going into the exact same place as they've come from, you can use the 'place all' button to place them all in one go.

(Load/Save don't work yet, and there's no confirmation when you hit the 'Clear' button, so be careful Smile Those functions and some more options for placement are in the works)
Attached files
PiranMOTO_LytGrp.zip - 618.7 KB - 270 views
#5 - lucaf
^ This app is a gem. Really handy to copy an entire layout structure of hundreds of objects from lyt1 to lyt2 <3 Helped me a lot in creating reverse versions of my Fern Bay layouts (I would never started the job if had to do manually).

Just close Lazy and other insim apps, they may interfere with the user interface buttons of LytGrp Smile

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG