The online racing simulator
Oculus Rift driver setup Tips ( MacBook Pro )
My SPecs

Oculus Rift D.K-2
MacBook Pro - 2011
BootCamp - Win 7
Logitech G27 Stering wheel system ( force feedback )

A few thoughts on Virtual Reality driver set-ups.

I thought better to state "virtual reality" rather than "Oculus Rift" as I hope in time we'll start to see other HMDs ( head mounted devices) become available on the market.

I'm new to L.F.S & as such had a hard time getting my DK2 setup.. but a bit of searching within this forum soon paid off & I was off & racing... ok not exactly racing as I started out solo & am still getting a feel for things, I'm still way to green to be taking on multi-player mode.

* Tip - your first two laps should be done in 2nd gear only .. go real slow & investigate the track..
then slowly each lap build up speed.

I started my first laps with an x-box controller & it was ok.. took me a while to setup the controller buttons.

* Tip - setup triggers for throttle & Brake:
in Options > control you can set the x-box left / right triggers using "Axis"

After two days of racing I decided to invest in a steering wheel system ( Logitech G27 )
Picked on up for $150 on e-bay

I was surprised how easy setup was within Win7 on a BootCamped MacBook Pro.

The physical positioning of the wheel on my desk was easy to. I moved the DK2s camera down lower to help align the virtual wheel to my Logitech wheel.. feels amazing !

i have slightly raised the foot pedals off the ground so it feels more like I'm sitting in the car & feet are slightly elevated.

One thing I'd like to add to crate even more realism is a USB fan that is directed onto my face.. not only wold it help cool my face as wearing a DK2 for extended periods if hot work but creates a feeling of wind rushing past.. Sure would be neat of the developers coould create a USB controller for a fan.. as you build the fan increases in speed. A Thought - Perhaps someone knows of an Arduino sketch that controls a fan.. but it would have to be triggered in game... hhhhmm ?

If anyone has any thoughts on this please share

Mick
#2 - Alric
I've been looking for a speed controlled fan for lfs for a while now to use with the rift. I've emailed a few of the sim racing hardware companies but so far none of them are willing to build me anything. I know a few people have built one though so it is possible with the right knowledge. I must agree the sense of speed from a high powered fan would be amazing in an open cockpit car and surely there would be some demand for it as the rift becomes more popular. Please someone take me money & build one. Smile
HI Alric,

Regarding an in-game force controlled fan : I know that there's a Unity 3D plug-in " Uniduino " that allows in game play to adjust fan speeds.. but it requires an Arduino controller board.. (very cheap)
BUT this will not operate in LFS as LFS in not a Unity engine based game. BUT perhaps there's a simpler way of controlling an Arduino via USB out port with a signal sent from LFS.

So I guess what we need is a way to control an Arduino via LFS... hhhmm??

note: it is possible as I googgled it & there are lots of people modding LFS to output data to Arduino boards

Here's a link to one LFS data out to Arduino & a dashboard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K8vPxLrvKs

& Another Link here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJDyM6ZmQqc

I know its a long shot but could be possible.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG