The online racing simulator
A question about Bodnar cables
(6 posts, started )
My new DFGT is on the way, and I have just enough money left over to afford the pedals and shifter from a G27. But Bodnar cables are so expensive, they're just about as expensive as the pedals and shifter themselves.

So my question is, can I simply splice a serial and USB cable to create my own Bodnar-type device, or does his have any special circuitry to handle the devices?

Also, he lists a separate adapter to make your shifter standalone, but I've seen and heard of people using a standard Bodnar cable for that as well. I'm fairly confused about this.. Is there any real difference, or would another one of my Bodnar-a-like (assuming that is feasible) cables work for the shifter too?

Thanks in advance.
I have one of the Bodnar pedal cables. The plug where you plug the pedals in contains a small microcontroller, which exposes the pedals as a USB HID device (as well as interprets the pin out from the pedals into something useful. The shifter would do the same as well.) The shifter cable has some configuration as well, to attempt to work around the inevitable breakage of the Logitech shifters.

You cannot simply splice a serial cable to a USB cable. USB Cable has 2 data pins (+ and -), where the pedals alone would have at least 4 pins (Signal for each, plus a shared ground). Never mind that the signalling is incompatible.
I see, thanks for the answer. Looks like I'll have to wait until I get some more cash.
How much will the shifter, cable, and pedals cost you?
About $130, after scouring the net to find the cheapest deals. It really doesn't make sense to go this route since I added it all up. I'd be better off saving up for a G27 down the road.
Quote from Mr. Kninja :About $130, after scouring the net to find the cheapest deals. It really doesn't make sense to go this route since I added it all up. I'd be better off saving up for a G27 down the road.

Yeah. The only reason I bought the cable was convenience. I got sick of fishing the cable around.

(6 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG