The online racing simulator
OSRIC Legendary Heroes (PC Game) Developement Update
A year on and I am still working on my game, only now it is looking much better! So I thought I would show some beauty shots off to see what you think:

I am especially proud of the fur shader, it was really complex to make but it just looks amazing.

This little critter swims underground and then says hi when he's next to you

And if critters coming out of the ground wasn't enough, they come from the sky too.

I had to make sure this plant was physically large enough to digest a Human. There's a reason this must be so!

In fantasy worlds, snakes aren't big. Snakes are HUGE.

And some snakes have 3 heads, a body, 4 legs and a tail :P

When you absolutely definitely have to die, run into this guy. He'll get the job done.

hubba bubba >>drool<<, right?

The game will be available in around about a year [no fixed date yet] on PC format only. Shader Model 3 & dedicated graphics memory required.

For regular news updates and access to alpha testing when it happens please join the OSRIC Legendary Heroes Facebook Group.
I'm interested, joined
I like the fur - is it shell rendering?
Quote from Crashgate3 :I like the fur - is it shell rendering?

Spot on The same technique I used for the grass but very differently configured.

It was a bit fiddly because for one I'd never done it before! But also my 3d engine did not support lopping technique passes or passing in an index counter, so I wrote both the fur and the grass as a series of separate text files and then made a PHP "pre-compile-parser" to assemble the final code.

I really am pleased with the final result, and now am sorting out more monsters which can have fur because most of what I have are scaled reptiles - I need more fur dammits!
Is the fur fixed relative to the surface (obviously taking into account animation of the model), or does it move?

If not, I wonder if it would be possible to give the fur some momentum by storing the last couple of seconds' (well a handful of samples from the last few seconds) world-space coordinates of the model vertices, using this to calculate their velocity in world-space, and then using this to warp the alpha map used for the shells in a pixelshader and/or the position of the vertices of the shells in a vertex shader (I imagine the latter would be simpler)?
I cheated and used gravity, so the fur moves but does so using a fixed constant - which is far faster than storing a snapshot of the bone data and calculating each layer of the shell dynamically.

Shell shaders in real time are all about speed, otherwise other content onscreen may need to be compromised.

The reality is you barely see any movement anyway because the fur is short - but it's there.
Looks like a mammoth test becky,

Joined group
Wow! This is really impressive! LOL Looks like someone watched Little Shop of Horrors one too many times. Man, that plant is totally cool. ....
You've been saying how you've been working on this game for a couple of years now. I remember the stuff you did with LFS and figured this game will be pretty good too. Can you join a facebook group if you don't have a facebook page? Sorry, I spent too many years getting rid of people I don't like. I don't want them to find me again at the click of a mouse.
Still, the artwork is really good.
Quote from Racer Y :Can you join a facebook group if you don't have a facebook page? Sorry, I spent too many years getting rid of people I don't like. I don't want them to find me again at the click of a mouse.
Still, the artwork is really good.

Don't panic the game will not be a Facebook game, I'm just going to be doing the alpha testing amongst the facebook group because it is easier than coding up a web site to handle all the messaging and stuff. Alpha testing is still a ways off though, I hope later this year.

Quote :You've been saying how you've been working on this game for a couple of years now.

Yeah, this genre of game is like the Everest of computer games - but that's why I wanted to make it. After this I'll definitely be less ambitious for a bit! It's been a couple of years since I started the first prototypes and figures out what direction to head in - and now I'm about a year into the production version of the game.

I did have a schedule at one point but I moved house at the same time as hitting a technical hurdle so I fell behind it by a few months - but I'm still slowly plodding forwards.
Quote from Becky Rose :Don't panic the game will not be a Facebook game, I'm just going to be doing the alpha testing amongst the facebook group because it is easier than coding up a web site to handle all the messaging and stuff. Alpha testing is still a ways off though, I hope later this year.

Yeah, this genre of game is like the Everest of computer games - but that's why I wanted to make it. After this I'll definitely be less ambitious for a bit! It's been a couple of years since I started the first prototypes and figures out what direction to head in - and now I'm about a year into the production version of the game.

I did have a schedule at one point but I moved house at the same time as hitting a technical hurdle so I fell behind it by a few months - but I'm still slowly plodding forwards.

LOL That's good. I look forward to playing the game. Yeah. My wife has a facebook page and every now and then some loser we used to know somehow finds it. As far as alpha/beta testing goes? I would probably be a poor choice even if I did have time. I don't know the difference between Delphi and Dos.
LOL I got a C minus in a C++ class. As far as the workings of computers goes, I know when I get the BSODs or lose my trust privileges (My computer doesn't trust me anymore? WTF?), I call some dude named Gary and ask what the ()*#!! did that pot head they sent to update the servers do to my *$%#@&!! computer!?!
Now if you ever hit it big, get a corporate office building and need fancy signs so blind people in wheel chairs can find the stairs to the handicapped parking spaces, then I'm you're man.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG