The online racing simulator
Volvo Sounds like a 4cyl, honestly don't think it was running at full power though.
BTCC Official Media Launch
Not sure if you have seen it, but 18th March at Donington Park is the official media Launch day for the BTCC and the best thing, it's free to enter from 12:30pm with the cars taking to the track around 13:00pm

Here for more details: http://www.donington-park.co.u ... ampionship-season-launch/

Fordie
Quote from Mustafur :Volvo Sounds like a 4cyl, honestly don't think it was running at full power though.

well its running a race version of the Yamaha V8, flat-plane crank which makes it more or less a double inline-4. Merc and Nissan probably use the same configuration, but Mercedes probably did more "sound engineering" to give its car a rather unique howl.
Could it just be down to the acoustics of the exhaust, or are these regulated in V8 series?

I would love the V8's to come over here just for one race, that would be awesome

Don't fancy paying £,0000's just to travel to Aussie just to watch a V8 Race, think the wife might have something to say about that

Fordie
#30 - robt
Just take a 3 week "tour"of Australia that just happens to coincide with 2 race weekends
Lea Wood confirmed as a driver for 2014 BTCC, this is his first time driving in the same class as everyone else, will be great to see how he gets on.

What are people's predictions for how the 7 ex-champs will place amongst themselves at the end of the season? This is my reckoning:

1 - Turkington
2 - Plato
3 - Jordan
4 - Shedden
5 - Gio
6 - Neal
7 - Menu
Quote from Minimaxman :Lea Wood confirmed as a driver for 2014 BTCC, this is his first time driving in the same class as everyone else, will be great to see how he gets on.

What are people's predictions for how the 7 ex-champs will place amongst themselves at the end of the season? This is my reckoning:

1 - Turkington
2 - Plato
3 - Jordan
4 - Shedden
5 - Gio
6 - Neal
7 - Menu

This is my predictions. I don't know why, but I just think Menu will take the Championship by storm this year

1 - Menu
2 - Gio
3 - Neal
4 - Plato
5 - Jordan
6 - Shedden
7 - Turkington
It depends how good Honda and MG are, my guess will be Plato wins.
Lowndes couldn't have been any closer to wrecking it on the last lap of the final race
In amongst the crazy accidents and penalties there was some pretty decent action in V8s at the weekend. Bring on the rest of 2014 - could well be another classic year.
#37 - aoun
Quote from aoun :2014 Clipsal 500 final lap - Awesome finish!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAFRS5r2g8E

This is just insane and ridiculously awesome! The very best motorsports could ever be. Leaving each other nothing but the space that's needed and fighting until the very last corner. Chapeau! :bowdown:
I'm going to be in Australia in a couple weeks and plan on going to Winton on Sunday for the V8 Supercar race, any info you Aussies could give me for a first timer over there? Been to plenty of races over here in the States, just kind of wondering if there's anything I should make sure I do/see around the track on race day. Can't wait to finally see a Supercar race in person.
Quote from UncleBenny :I'm going to be in Australia in a couple weeks and plan on going to Winton on Sunday for the V8 Supercar race, any info you Aussies could give me for a first timer over there? Been to plenty of races over here in the States, just kind of wondering if there's anything I should make sure I do/see around the track on race day. Can't wait to finally see a Supercar race in person.

I've never been to Winton so I'm probably not the best person to talk to about this, but I have been to quite a few Clipsal 500's in my time including this year.

One of the first things to do when you get to the track is to buy a program. They should be around $5-$10. It's disappointing that you are only going on Sunday and not all 3-4 days, but that's just how it is.

Will you have general admission tickets or numbered grandstand seats? If you have general admission (you can do this if you have grandstand as well) is to get there and in the track right as the gates open. What you should do then is, spend a couple of hours walking around the track and then figure out the best spot that you want to sit at for the day. If you have general admission, you'll be able to sit anywhere that isn't a major grandstand, so you can move around during the day.

One important thing to note is the pricing. At the track, most if not all of the food places will cost a lot. What I did this year, and is best on your pockets, is to buy some snacks from the local mall/supermarket and also make things like your own sandwiches (or whatever you preference, but bring both snacks and sandwiches). It costs you much, much less overall. If you want to try out the food there that's fine as well.

You don't need to worry about bringing ear muffs. At least, I don't think so. I don't know what support categories will be there. You definitely wont need them for the V8 Supercars.

And relating to the last one, time you walks around the track with the times that there are no racing on at all. Always watch the support category races. Sometimes they are just as good, if not better than the V8 Supercars races. The support categories are also very exciting.

If it's anything like the Clipsal 500 is, not too long after the Sunday events finish, the track should be open for you to walk over. If you can do it, walk a lap of the track. It gives you a really different perspective from what you see on TV and your seat. Just check though before you wander on to the track though, I can't guarantee anything. :P

And when you are wandering the around the track trying to find a place to sit if you do have general admission, make sure that you find out quickly where the nearest toilets are. Also try and sit near a big screen and near one of the speakers you know what is going on around the track.

Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.
That was very helpful, thanks. I was actually wondering if we were allowed to bring food with us, since we'll be there all day we'll definitely bring some snacks with us. What about drinks/beer?

It looks like the grandstands are pretty limited at Winton so we're just going to do general admission and move around during the day. It would be nice to do a full race weekend but since we'll only be in Australia for 10 days, we only have so much time to devote to racing.
Quote from UncleBenny :That was very helpful, thanks. I was actually wondering if we were allowed to bring food with us, since we'll be there all day we'll definitely bring some snacks with us. What about drinks/beer?

It looks like the grandstands are pretty limited at Winton so we're just going to do general admission and move around during the day. It would be nice to do a full race weekend but since we'll only be in Australia for 10 days, we only have so much time to devote to racing.

You should be able to bring every drink in the world in besides alcohol!

Unless the rules are different from there to hear, you will not be able to take beer in to the track, or out of the track at the end of the day. Beer is available there at the track though, of course!

I recommend you pack water to drink throughout the day, though. Also bring sunscreen, you don't want to forget that, especially here in Australia!

Any other questions, don't be afraid to ask.
Quote from Kid222 :I knew this would eventually come, but they were much quicker than i expected. V8's change their restart procedure rules.

http://v8supercars.com/news/ch ... nges-to-restart-procedure

Yes it was inevitable, either for safety or cost reasons. I remember when the teambosses got together and vetoed against reverse starting order, it felt like the sport had grew up from spectacle to professional competition that day.
Andrew Jordon of to a flyer, looking forward to the racing tomorrow.

Classification

Fordie
It was a decent qualification, but Holland needs to find some pace..
Not sure if anybody saw it, but Touring Car Legends is on ITV4, it's really interesting.

I gather you can get it on catchup

Second part is 7-8pm UK

https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/itv4

Fordie
Those crazy Aussies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWsm1HI95hQ

Tom Coronel testing his newly built Cruze TC1 for the 2014 WTCC season.

Can't help myself but I somehow think these cars will be very interesting to watch not just because Loeb etc will drive them. Looks quite sexy.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG