The online racing simulator
BBT shall invade the UK
(24 posts, started )
BBT shall invade the UK
Greetings,

In April, I will be heading over firstly to Germany (going to Bremen) and then will be popping over to London, and then to Manchester a bit later on.

Mostly work related.

My question is: what would you call "must-do" or "must-see" items in these locations? Most of the time will be in London, at a placed called "Hotel Russel" which I hope is as nice as it looks on the website .

Maybe I'll run into a fellow LFSF personality.

Cheers
There's only one "must do" when it comes to London or Manchester.... Leave asap.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Greetings,

In April, I will be heading over firstly to Germany (going to Bremen) and then will be popping over to London, and then to Manchester a bit later on.

Mostly work related.

My question is: what would you call "must-do" or "must-see" items in these locations? Most of the time will be in London, at a placed called "Hotel Russel" which I hope is as nice as it looks on the website .

Maybe I'll run into a fellow LFSF personality.

Cheers

Go to a premier league game
if ur in central london get ready for bus travels(lots of hours of them) or walk(which will take a day at least ) basicly to see is big ben,london eye,buckingham palace and thats rly it imo.
Or use the tube and barely takes an hour.
Bremen, what are you doing there? More or less in my sphere of influence
Quote from e2mustang :if ur in central london get ready for bus travels(lots of hours of them) or walk(which will take a day at least ) basicly to see is big ben,london eye,buckingham palace and thats rly it imo.

Yep.
Tussauds? Never been there, but.
When I was in London with my family we had ticket for these buses: http://www.theoriginaltour.com/ They were really nice, great for sightseeing and also moving from place to other. Just look at map which they will give you and find where are bus stops (there are lots of them), hop in bus and leave when you want
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :My question is: what would you call "must-do" or "must-see" items in these locations?

There are lots of cool places in London. For a night out Soho and Camden are great. Although it's hard to recommend a particular pub or club without knowing your interests.

Hamley's is wicked - it's like being reminded how to be a child again.

If you are into the arts then Covent Garden can be pretty good, especially if you take in a show. Speaking of the thesbian arts, I've been meaning to check out the Queen musical on Tottenham Court Road for years, it'll probably be closed by the time I get around to it - if you take that in let me know what it's like .

Don't try and take in the real London. It's mostly just houses. Stick to popular touristy bits that's way better

I wish I could remember the name of the Vietnamese restaurant I went to near Soho because it was amazing, but unfortunately Google search brings up 6 of them - so that'd be pot luck !

There are some main attractions of course:

Buckingham Palace and the Houses of Parliament. I find them a bit dull myself but when I've been showing jolly foreigners around they seem amazed by soldiers on guard who aren't allowed to speak *shrug* whatever floats your boat really.

The London Eye: at £30 for a single a ticket... I dunno, I just couldn't find the incentive to go on it. Maybe it's worth it, but they didn't manage to convince me that it was!

Brick Lane and Camden Lock markets are worth checking out if in the area, but personally I would not make a special trip for them.

There's an excellent live music scene in London, see what's on at the Brixton Academy or the Dome. Now called the O2 Academy and the O2 respectively, but no-one calls them that because we're not the shallow sheep that O2 thinks we are. Having said that, my phone is on O2... Damn! Check ticketmaster.com for tickets.

As for Manchester, I am not qualified to answer.

Quote from e2mustang :if ur in central london get ready for bus travels(lots of hours of them)

When in London I use the tube, it's not that expensive, fast, reliable, reasonably safe and runs fairly late. And you get to talk to weird preachers for all sorts of crazy shit - but aside them remember the unspoken social protocol - BRITS DONT TALK TO EACH OTHER! It's a rule.
never been on the tube and i hate the buses thus i drive my car,but its rare. Mostly i drive in the city cos i pick and drop off cars for us (work in Camden !) camden market is right next door to us and boy its loooaded with peeps every day. i dunno what they do there tho
Quote from e2mustang :never been on the tube and i hate the buses thus i drive my car,but its rare. Mostly i drive in the city cos i pick and drop off cars for us (work in Camden !) camden market is right next door to us and boy its loooaded with peeps every day. i dunno what they do there tho

I made the mistake of trying to drive in London a month or two ago, to South Kensington Town Council.

After paying £45 a day for parking, I now regret this.
still better than driving a pile of crap smart almost every day over those humps in the side streets. I'd rather pay C charge and some parking penalties (i dont know why they botered with suspension,might aswell just put steel bars to replace them.and that gearbox... geez )
Actually yeah the premiership football suggestion may be a good one. If Arsenal are still within spitting distance of the premiership trophy by April it would be well worth trying to get a ticket to a home game. They're one of the most attractive teams to watch in Europe and their home stadium (easily accessible by tube but it does get busy on match days) is a brilliant venue. They haven't won the league for ten years and they've been top of the table since... September? Really rare stuff for their fans so the atmosphere would be amazing.

Also see what's on at the National Theatre. Whatever it is go see it. And while you're in the neighbourhood spend a few hours at Tate Modern (free and along with NYC's MOMA one of the two best modern art galleries in the world, IMO). Also it's a short stroll up to St Paul's if you're into your sight-seeing. Within easy walking distance of parliament or Trafalgar Square.
Quote from The Moose :There's only one "must do" when it comes to London or Manchester.... Leave asap.

That's the most agreeable thing that's ever been said on this forum.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :
My question is: what would you call "must-do" or "must-see" items in these locations?

Go clubbing on a Saturday night up here in Liverpool. You wont regret it
Quote from the moose :there's only one "must do" when it comes to london or manchester.... Leave asap.

+1 ha ha ha
Quote from The Moose :There's only one "must do" when it comes to London or Manchester.... Leave asap.

Ha!

Too funny. These places have a bad reputation? I figured everywhere in the UK would be brimming with witty folk, and everything would be like Monty Python movies

Quote from ACCAkut :Bremen, what are you doing there? More or less in my sphere of influence

The fellow I'm travelling with (company owner / my boss / long time friend) has a sister who live there. She owns & runs a pub called Hegartys

Quote from Becky Rose :There are lots of cool places in London. For a night out Soho and Camden are great. Although it's hard to recommend a particular pub or club without knowing your interests.

My interests are pretty mild, I'm not a rowdy guy.

If I go to a pub it'd basically be just to experience the atmosphere, which I'd prefer to be very "historic". And enjoy a pint of Guinness .

Quote :I wish I could remember the name of the Vietnamese restaurant I went to near Soho because it was amazing, but unfortunately Google search brings up 6 of them - so that'd be pot luck !

Good to know there's a few about though, I eat Pho several times a week... That stuff is amazing

Quote :remember the unspoken social protocol - BRITS DONT TALK TO EACH OTHER! It's a rule.

Canadian's don't either Unless it's to apologize for bumping your shopping cart or something.

Quote from thisnameistaken :
Also see what's on at the National Theatre. Whatever it is go see it. And while you're in the neighbourhood spend a few hours at Tate Modern (free and along with NYC's MOMA one of the two best modern art galleries in the world, IMO). Also it's a short stroll up to St Paul's if you're into your sight-seeing. Within easy walking distance of parliament or Trafalgar Square.

Thanks for all the tips. I've never been over so I'm looking quite forward to it.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :If I go to a pub it'd basically be just to experience the atmosphere, which I'd prefer to be very "historic". And enjoy a pint of Guinness .

It's my understanding that the Guinness sold in Ireland does not meet our water quality standards so UK Guinness is brewed in London, apparently it does not taste as nice. I'm no expert on stout or anything else served in a pint glass - so I'll leave it at that for others to give their 2p worth.

As for quaint oldy-worldy type pubs there's bound to be a few but if you want the whole American Warewolf experience then you'll probably have to get far enough away from London that the bar staff no longer have an Australian accent. Stop off on your way between cities in any village who's name ends in "well", and you've probably hit the rural jackpot. The village will be just like London, but more SUV's - but the pubs will be practically unlit and if you sniff the upholstery you'll still smell the tobacco from before the ban 7 years ago.
if you do "venture" in to Manchester, I would advise you AVOID...Mosside. Even the Paramedics go with Police backup up there.

London, seriously, there is the London Eye, a big Ferris Wheel, the House of Parliament where they are paid to much money to do nothing, Madam Plastic Works, you get the idea, London Zoo, where the animals are under fed and look ill, Tower of London where you can see the crown jewels, not a nice sight considering she is 80 odd, and Tower Bridge....oh great, its a bridge that like the king...raises once in a while

Unless you hit the "real" country side, there is nothing to see in cities, unless you like Shopping and the hustle and bustle.

Visit Norfolk and go on the Norfolk Broads on a boat and more up next to a pub..now your talking LOL

There is my round up of the UK

Fordie
Quote from Fordman :if you do "venture" in to Manchester, I would advise you AVOID...Mosside.

There's absolutely no reason you'd end up there though, even accidentally; it's not near the centre and there's nothing of interest there.

A 'must do' in Manchester is the Museum of Science & Industry.
Quote from Crashgate3 :There's absolutely no reason you'd end up there though, even accidentally;

I did....I was looking for a Veterinary Practice but I made a wrong turn.......All I said was TURBO DON'T FAIL ME NOW

Fordie
I stand corrected; There's absolutely no reason you'd end up there though, even accidentally, unless you have the navigational skills of a toddler.
Manchester, The Fall live !!!!

Or, John Cooper Clark, or any other of the music live.

BBT shall invade the UK
(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG