The online racing simulator
Going through my old stuff - Need advice!
(15 posts, started )
Hey guys,

So this is how I spend my evening off: Going through my old stuff:

It's a mess. I'm not sure what to keep, how to sort it, or even how to wind cables properly.

What's your thoughts on this? Any fellow geeks out there with good advice?

(sorry about the poor picture quality.)
Attached images
20140101_211847-gimp.jpg
Pretty hard to tell you what to keep and what to throw away (or sell), considering we don't know what the different boxes contain.
Quote from wildstyle :Pretty hard to tell you what to keep and what to throw away (or sell), considering we don't know what the different boxes contain.

Well, I meant more in general, I was curious about what you guys do with YOUR stuff.
Quote from felplacerad :Well, I meant more in general, I was curious about what you guys do with YOUR stuff.

burn it
#5 - Jakg
I got rid of a lot of stuff when I moved out - the key questions were "does it work" (anything other than "yes" was binned).

Currently I've managed to slim down all my cables into a couple of boxes but I think next I'll need to move to some sort of draw system with labelled drawers for each item. At last count I had an ice-cream tubs worth of SATA cables!
#6 - troy
I've got a single drawer for all kinds of crap, and when I search something I curse at myself for not storing it properly. It usually comes out in one big ball of cables/earphones/other crap and I untangle for 30 min and repeat the year after when I search something again.
Quote from felplacerad :Well, I meant more in general, I was curious about what you guys do with YOUR stuff.

Well, by the looks of it most of the things in the boxes are pretty old. I'd probably just get rid of it. Maybe keep some SATA cables or other cables that might come in handy.
Sounds daft but loo rolls make good cable storage, stackable and easy to label. I always work on the theory that as soon as somethings thrown out, it's then needed so I tend to keep most cables etc.

Just label it and keep it in plastic 60 litre boxes. Makes it easy to move if you shift a bit.
If it won't work with your current rig, bin it.
If it is more than 5 years old, bin it.
If you're unsure if it works, bin it.

You should now have thinned out a big chunk of what is there.
Keep the stuff that still works and scrap/sell on eBay the rest, at least you can get some money back. There will always be buyers out there for junk items.
ive adopted a policy of "anything i havent touched for 4 years goes to ebay or the skip"
Quote from troy :I've got a single drawer for all kinds of crap, and when I search something I curse at myself for not storing it properly. It usually comes out in one big ball of cables/earphones/other crap and I untangle for 30 min and repeat the year after when I search something again.

haha, same here.
Thanks for the advice, everyone. Really appreciate it!

I've decided to bin/gift everything that doesn't work in my current rigs and, obviously, everything that is way old (CBA to sell stuff for just a couple of bucks, even though it'd surely add up).
Also I decided to keep only one or two copies of stuff that I've got many of (computer power cables, for example -- 10+. Sheesh!).

[QUOTE=Mr_Lonely;1838842]if you have some time on your hands.
http://www.standardmadness.com ... old-from-old-electronics/

Hahaha, awesome! I hear now is not the best time to (mine) and sell gold, though.

source: http://www.kitco.com/charts/livegold.html

(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG