The online racing simulator
Quote from D.Navickas :Yeah that is what i've been thinking for awhile but too bad i aint got no money for a new pc, all i've got is to buy S2 license and poorly get some RAM's. ahh well ...

Dude, just grab a 512 stick of ram, or even a 256, and a GeForce 6600, or Radeon 9600, or better. All can be done for well under $100us. It's your video card mostly that's hurting you, I had one of those and it was the most awful card I'd ever owned.

These two video cards are pretty old now, but more than enough for LFS, and would have been great cards when your PC was new. The GeForce will be a lot easier to find btw. Even a 7600GT can be had for very very cheap and would triple your frame rate.

P.S. More ram will never add to your frame rate, only prevent stuttering caused by disc thrashing when you're running too low on Ram. Only "faster" memory will have an effect on frame rates, and even if you somehow could put the fastest DDR3 memory on your board, the difference would be negligible, with respect to "LFS".
A 6600GT would be around £15 (what I paid for my 2), but thats a PCI-e one - i'd imagine his board doesn't even have that, or AGP and instead just has PCI which means his SOL.
I think there were 7600GT's in AGP, 6600's as well, certainly the 6600 I would think. The improvement would be incredible for this guy. Also the radeon 9600/9800 are available in AGP.

Just trying to help him out.

Hey jakg, question. I have the option between a 9800GTX+ 1GB (Same as a GTS 250) or a XFX 4890, I can only keep one, isn't the Radeon compared more to higher end Nvidia cards, I heard it's a real powerhouse, but runs like crap in OpenGl games, opinion?
Like I said, AGP is on the 6600GT, but PCI isn't.

As for your other question, no idea. I'd say the 4890, tbh.
Yea, my motherboard has AGP slots for the video card. And yes there is a 7600 series in AGP. I was thinking that the processor is the main unit that affects the frame rate on LFS.

Well i got you now. Need to get a stick of more RAM and a better video card. Cheers
the thing with upgrading ram is ...
that as it sounds, your mobo is rather old, so you need ddr-400 ram, preferrably a 512MB stick to start with.
DDR (1) is already getting a bit hard to find, and a bit on the pricey side.
There is a local store nearby that sells 512 MB and 1GB DDR400 RAMs
and the bad thing is that i have two sticks of 256 MB so that means one will have to go away ....
i have a 7800 gs for sale, its agp
Quote from e2mustang :i have a 7800 gs for sale, its agp

I think it will be waste of energy and money with his CPU.
Why my CPU is bad? 3GHz is enough i think?
3 ghz dont mean anything if u have like 533 fsb
Sapphire HD 2600 XT AGP 8X with 512MB GDDR3
Minor update - I no longer needed PC#2 and PC#1's watercooling annoyed me (because it meant I could never move the thing) so i've swapped everything round again:

AMD Phenom 920 - 3.2 GHz,
8GB OCZ DDR800,
Foxconn A7DA-S,
FSP 700w PSU,
ATi 4830,
2x 7200.12 1TB RAID0,
X-Fi XtremeMusic,
Dedicated Network Card,
Memory card readery thing,
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (legit no less)...

and for the coolest bit of them all - Cooler Master ACTS 840, I love it beyond all belief

Have no optical drive yet (finally went over to SATA and it's still in the post), and have removed my second graphics card and am going to try to make do with the onboard for the time being...
Well here is my new build.

Intel Xeon W3520 @ 4.1Ghz (i7 920 equivalent)
Asus P6T7 WS Supercomputer Motherboard
12GB DDR3 2000mhz
Asus Xonar Essence STX Sound Card
2x RAID 0 120GB OCZ Agility SSD's
CrossfireX ATI 5870's
BFG EX-1200W Power Supply
Antec P193 Case

Just the CPU is water cooled, 2x 140mm radiator at the top, 120mm radiator in the bottom, and dual pumps.

Here it is in its ugly glory.

INSANE rig!! (from what i can tell :shrug
Isn't 12gb of ram overkill?
how much is that rig worth, 3,000?
Games PC:
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 940 Black Edition @ 3.4 GHz
MOBO: Asus Crosshair III Formula AMD 790FX
RAM: Geil Ultra Series 6GB (2x2GB & 2x1GB)
PSU: Corsair TX750W
GPU: 2x Novatech GeForce 9800GT SLI 1GB
HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12
SOUND: Creative sb400 audigy 2

This (family) PC:
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+ @ 3.66GHz
MOBO: AsRock Alive NF5-SLi1394
RAM: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB)
PSU: Corsair TX 650W
GPU: XpertVision Nvidia 8500GT 1GT (rubbish...)
HDD: 750Gb Maxtor DiamondMax22
SOUND: OnBoard 7.1ch
Quote from 5-6-ACE :Well, today my cockpit was finished ....

Made out of PVC a little Ply Wood and a Racing Seat....

Ill go into more detail later but Im busy driving the S*** out of it.

Very creative! is it made out of plastic tubing, if yes how strong is it?
Quote from Roadie :Well here is my new build.

Intel Xeon W3520 @ 4.1Ghz (i7 920 equivalent)
Asus P6T7 WS Supercomputer Motherboard
12GB DDR3 2000mhz
Asus Xonar Essence STX Sound Card
2x RAID 0 120GB OCZ Agility SSD's
CrossfireX ATI 5870's
BFG EX-1200W Power Supply
Antec P193 Case

Just the CPU is water cooled, 2x 140mm radiator at the top, 120mm radiator in the bottom, and dual pumps.

Here it is in its ugly glory.

Holy crap that think is a tank - Lovin' the Xeon.

Pictures of ma new case soon (i.e. when Photoshop downloads).
A few pictures of my new case (<3)

Here it is after my not-too-shabby attempt at cable management (all of the wires route round the back but would look *MUCH* better if they were stealthed:

(yes that is a full ATX mobo, and yes, this case is HUGE)

Just in case you dont understand the sheer size of it, heres it next to my (old and now gutted) Antec 900:

EDIT - Only bit i'm not happy with is the 24 pin PSU cable - have an extender in the post to route it properly (love my PSU, hate it's cables).

Post your "LFS" rig..
(3080 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG